"Skill beats luck."

+
On the one hand you could say the same about Poker, which gets a separate classification with respect to gambling, in some countries (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_skill) because of how much skill is considered to be involved as opposed to luck of the draw. On the other, the coin toss is huge and I can often tell how relatively easy or difficult it's going to be to pull out a win, just from the coin toss alone.

Last edited:
Iuliandrei;n10552642 said:
First of all that statement is false and secondly, some people play this game for a living.
Next time when you try to be smug, make sure you also have something intelligent to say.
I wasn't being smug, just stating the facts. As for those being "false"... let's see who's top on both, pro and regular, ladders. Every single season. And no, not all of them "play Gwent for a living". That part doesn't make a lot of sense if you're not cashing out in Gwent Open and such. Also, at least, four of the regular top players are not pros in any sense of this word.

And insulting? Seems that my "noob" reference hit the nerve. Good.

Just so pissed right now. So, I play Eredin Frost. Oppo plays DORFS (!!!). He starts with a Spy, OK, whatever. Everything goes smooth, Frost is ticking on two rows. Than he plays Isengrim: Outlaw. Guewss what he draws? Ida. Clears. I play White Frost, he goes Elven Scout in Vrihedd Dragoon. Ida dies. He plays buffed by 4 Hattori to res her. I'm like - AARGH! I still have couple of frosts and am leading comfortably, so I play... and than he plays a RUNESTONE and pulls another Ida.

SKILLS beat LUCK my @$$!

Not in this game.

So pissed.

Last edited:
partci;n10557472 said:
[SNIP] SKILLS beat LUCK my @$$! [/SNIP]

Did/does it feel like a 3rd person has taken charge of your game and said to you: 'yeah, you're not winning this one even though your oppo doesn't have the tools in his deck to answer your plays, I'm going to give him the win because it's random and fun'

It's situations as you describe that are slowly turning me off Gwent the more they occur.

Over time skill still beats luck in Gwent. But of course Create can sometimes win you a game (or lose it...). And it's understandable that this can be annoying - I'd say, either you have an answer, or you don't ... but with create you can't rely on that.

At the same time I have to admit that playing a RNG deck can indeed be fun and you still have to focus to win with it. But while I don't feel like Create is dominating the game right now, I wouldn't mind Create being excluded from ranked and pro ladder. But that's just my opinion.

Yeah ... skill still beats luck in the long run, but it's not nearly consistent enough. I had hoped that rng nonsense would prove unplayable. No such luck.
I don't mind the coinflip as much. At least I can plan for that. There's no planning for the random screwover out of thin air. And no fun in watching an opponent's card whiff, either.

Prime example of what makes me hate this game right here. Made me not want to play to ladder today at all.

When you lose a match because your opponent plays black blood into rotfiend so he can vilgefortz it into a generic viper for the win.

And this is skill?

THIS IS WHAT YOU CALL GOOD HEALTHY FUN FOR BOTH PLAYERS?

This is what you call healthy RNG?

Reaching rank 21 before the day's up?
"Sorry,
computer says no."

*Slow clap*

You see being outplayed doesn't matter, because you learn from it, you adjust to it, you change your deck because of it.
What can you do against this? This is the SECOND damn game I've lost in a row PURELY BECAUSE OF ARTIFICIAL LUCK. Do i Just pray to jesus it doesn't happen again? Or do I uninstall the game and move on? Because the more frequently this happens the closer I get to ceasing support of this game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shadow-Stalker;n10560092 said:
When you lose a match because your opponent plays black blood into rotfiend so he can vilgefortz it into a generic viper for the win..

If the game makes your black blood boil, it might actually be better to let it go for a while and go outside to take a deep breath. The Create mechanic isn't going anywhere anytime soon. So, you know where that will lead to sooner or later.

Personally speaking, the Create mechanic doesn't bother me. I've seen some unlucky power swing, but nothing that wouldn't have been possible using some other method. I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but the only real luck factor is the coin flip. That's my only problem with this game, at the moment.

carnage4u;n10553842 said:
A Create card in a deck will only work if that deck is built around the possibilities that create card could produce. Some people claim create takes away all the skill, but there is still effort that must be made to put the correct create card into your deck, and you need to know when to play the card, and prepare for multiple options to happen. The create mechanic does not remove skill from the game.

Not a big fan of cards like Uma because they have costed me many games giving the other player a huge ramdom card which they otherwise shouldn't have access to. That said I run Outlaw in almost every ST deck and elven merc in most cases but I do it with a specific intention in mind.

• Outlaw gives me access to special silvers and weather clear/lock if I need it and am "lucky". I don't just play him when I'm losing and pray for a random solution.

• Elven Merc is included for the same reason, potential clear and an additional body in a mulligan deck for example.

So I agree with the above post, when you play these cards you play them with a specific intention in mind and you rely on luck to get that outcome. When you get the desired outcome it is not only luck but skill as well.

Edit: After a few minutes of thought I have to say I do understand the other side of the argument, example below..

So I pull elven merc to clear weather but get a panther instead which allows me to remove a win condition from the other side of the board that I couldn't otherwise remove like a Succubus, gg rng.

Not a easy topic to be sure.

Last edited:
4RM3D;n10560322 said:
If the game makes your black blood boil, it might actually be better to let it go for a while and go outside to take a deep breath. The Create mechanic isn't going anywhere anytime soon. So, you know where that will lead to sooner or later.

Personally speaking, the Create mechanic doesn't bother me. I've seen some unlucky power swing, but nothing that wouldn't have been possible using some other method. I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but the only real luck factor is the coin flip. That's my only problem with this game, at the moment.

I feel if you had your way there wouldn't be any players left and the game would be dead.

Do I also quit because cleaver won't be fixed or?

What about the proof the guy complaining he can't get to the top 100 because he loses coinflip 56% of the time? Does he quit also?

Hey everyone. Better quit the game instead of complaining about rigged issues because they don't bother a guy moderating the forums who quite clearly has no ties to CDPR and thus won't be bias in the slightest.

Edit: I've actually now lost 3 or 4 matches in a row now down to PURE RNG. But that's okay because it doesn't bother this one guy.

Last edited:
Shadow-Stalker;n10560812 said:
Hey everyone. Better quit the game instead of complaining about rigged issues because they don't bother a guy moderating the forums who quite clearly has no ties to CDPR and thus won't be bias in the slightest.

You are mixing up two different things. First of all, everyone is free to provide feedback to CDPR (via the forums). This thread is more about complaints than feedback, though. "Create is unhealthy for the game, please change it." This is what the thread boils down to. That is not offering a solution, that's just voicing your malcontent. Sure, if enough players make the same complaints, CDPR might change it. But it's not like the devs can just simply "fix" something as major as this overnight; not unlike something like restoring the full card names. Anyhow, outside of that, this thread doesn't offer much discussion value.

The second part is how you respond to the game on a personal level. If you're starting to hate the game, getting stressed out by it or gaining too many negative effects in general, then you could decide to stop playing for a while. The second part is a consequence of the first part. However, this varies from person to person.

Now, I am not saying to stop voicing your opinion. But I am saying that CDPR cannot change everything, no matter how good the suggestion is (or how valid the complaint is), simply because they don't have the time and/or because it conflicts with other design perspectives. Besides, it's impossible to please everyone. Some like the create mechanic for the variation it provides, while others hate it precisely because it's unpredictable.

No Title

4RM3D;n10560972 said:
You are mixing up two different things. First of all, everyone is free to provide feedback to CDPR (via the forums). This thread is more about complaints than feedback, though. "Create is unhealthy for the game, please change it." This is what the thread boils down to. That is not offering a solution, that's just voicing your malcontent. Sure, if enough players make the same complaints, CDPR might change it. But it's not like the devs can just simply "fix" something as major as this overnight; not unlike something like restoring the full card names. Anyhow, outside of that, this thread doesn't offer much discussion value.

The second part is how you respond to the game on a personal level. If you're starting to hate the game, getting stressed out by it or gaining too many negative effects in general, then you could decide to stop playing for a while. The second part is a consequence of the first part. However, this varies from person to person.

Now, I am not saying to stop voicing your opinion. But I am saying that CDPR cannot change everything, no matter how good the suggestion is (or how valid the complaint is), simply because they don't have the time and/or because it conflicts with other design perspectives. Besides, it's impossible to please everyone. Some like the create mechanic for the variation it provides, while others hate it precisely because it's unpredictable.

70% of my losses today were because of stuff like this.

I repeat.

"Seems fine to me."

It's about the majority. If the majority dislike something. It should be fixed. But CDPR just don't get that. It took them how long to fix spy spam? Each and every turn they denied it was an issue.

Look at each pro player voicing their concerns about the game every damn day with rarely anything positive to say about it.

Look at the mass of negativity toward the arena beta and yet nothing has changed there. It will still be released in a broken format with broken cards that will break the game.

What you say is absolute garbage and you know it. You just stated that CDPR cannot change gwents problems because they don't have time to please the players that pay their wages. Bit of a wierd statement.
And also because it completely contradicts their NEW design perspectives that completely contradict the ideal that was OG gwent.

Some like the create mechanic (25%) and some hate it (75%) And that's fine to me because my job as a moderator is to perform damage control.

Attachments

• photo199502.jpg
    photo199502.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 29
Shadow-Stalker;n10562162 said:
70% of my losses today were because of stuff like this.

I repeat.

"Seems fine to me."

It's about the majority. If the majority dislike something. It should be fixed. But CDPR just don't get that. It took them how long to fix spy spam? Each and every turn they denied it was an issue.

Look at each pro player voicing their concerns about the game every damn day with rarely anything positive to say about it.

Look at the mass of negativity toward the arena beta and yet nothing has changed there. It will still be released in a broken format with broken cards that will break the game.

What you say is absolute garbage and you know it. You just stated that CDPR cannot change gwents problems because they don't have time to please the players that pay their wages. Bit of a wierd statement.
And also because it completely contradicts their NEW design perspectives that completely contradict the ideal that was OG gwent.

Some like the create mechanic (25%) and some hate it (75%) And that's fine to me because my job as a moderator is to perform damage control.

So basically you want to win even though you have a 30% winrate. Cool.

Shadow-Stalker;n10562162 said:

You keep dragging everything into the dark, solely focused on all the negativity as if you like to feed on it. There is more than just back and white like 50 shades of grey. Furthermore, you keep twisting my words. Not only that, you are being disrespectful, on top of your continuous whining, which is not the best way to give feedback, as I have explained before. Even if you are right, that doesn't give you a free ticket to misbehave.

"You just stated that CDPR cannot change gwents problems because [...]" is something I have never said, but you only see what you want to see. CDPR is continuously working to improving the game, also listening to the community in the process, as they have proven on multiple occasions, which you have failed to mention. Yeah, the game still has issues; no one is denying that. I've pointed some them out myself.

Regardless, I am only wasting my time here trying to explain there is more than just one side of an argument. I am done. Adios.

You just stated that CDPR cannot change gwents problems because they don't have time to please the players that pay their wages. Bit of a wierd statement.

Stop misquoting him. He said EVERYTHING. Not Gwent's problems. EVERYTHING. They try to change those things most players complain about, the most commonly acknowledged problems. They did so with the balance. Then the spies. Something needs to be fixed first and something last don't you agree?

I think we can at least hope Create will be kissing Ranked bye bye but staying in other modes soon.

4RM3D;n10562632 said:
You keep dragging everything into the dark, solely focused on all the negativity as if you like to feed on it. There is more than just back and white like 50 shades of grey. Furthermore, you keep twisting my words. Not only that, you are being disrespectful, on top of your continuous whining, which is not the best way to give feedback, as I have explained before. Even if you are right, that doesn't give you a free ticket to misbehave.

"You just stated that CDPR cannot change gwents problems because [...]" is something I have never said, but you only see what you want to see. CDPR is continuously working to improving the game, also listening to the community in the process, as they have proven on multiple occasions, which you have failed to mention. Yeah, the game still has issues; no one is denying that. I've pointed some them out myself.

Regardless, I am only wasting my time here trying to explain there is more than just one side of an argument. I am done. Adios.

You just don't like someone who outputs a decent argument consistently.

ser2440;n10562672 said:
Stop misquoting him. He said EVERYTHING. Not Gwent's problems. EVERYTHING. They try to change those things most players complain about, the most commonly acknowledged problems. They did so with the balance. Then the spies. Something needs to be fixed first and something last don't you agree?

I think we can at least hope Create will be kissing Ranked bye bye but staying in other modes soon.

You guys lack experience. You can't just keep blaming other for your own loses.

Create cards are not always competitive and they are the only "fun" factor in the game. Please, reconsider asking the devs to erase "fun" factors from the game.

When you get to a decent ranked MMR, you will notice that you need to win 60% or more of your games. Playing "Create" cards is not a solid option, and they are used only ever on decks as the 6th silver option because the others are subpar.

Let's say you have 6 silvers :

First silver is your best, it's usually worth around 16 points. The second is worth 15 on average, the third and forth 14 and the fifth around 13.

You choose your 6th silver and pick a runestone. Sometimes you will get a second copy of your best or second best silver, but other times you will be stuck with 9-12 value card choices.

You can't rely on RNG when you are playing competitive games, and if you do you are a random. From time to time you get awesome value from a runestone by locking, erasing weather, hiding a revealed card or restoring a big powered up unit, but that's all there is to it, you rely on luck, not skill.

If you want to win you can't rely on luck, so there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Create mechanic giving choices.

Shadow-Stalker;n10562732 said:
You just don't like someone who outputs a decent argument consistently.

You lose in the game = blame your opponents.
You lose an argument = other arguments are false.

¿See the pattern here? You simply hate to lose and are uncapable of listen ot others.

Top Bottom