Skills: how should they work?

+
Have you not played the PnP?
...why do you wound me so? =p

If it's a skillsoft, you can not improve it. And with good reason: the chips override your neural framework.
The three means of learning are by listening, by watching, and by doing. I'm aware that reflex chips assist or otherwise override your neural framework, but since this is all theoretical tech anyways, I was speculating whether you could learn muscle-memory by having the chip do the brunt of the "heavy lifting," so to speak. One step better than a drill instructor, peering over your shoulder and yelling corrections at you.

I don't recall any rules explicitly forbidding learning a skill from a chip, though I do recall that between a chip and naturally learning a skill, the higher of the two wins.

Yes. I can look up the page, but I won't. Because I hate you. It is expressly forbidden to learn anything from a chip, MRAM or APTR. Also game balance reasons. There are learner chips and software that help you learn a new skill at better time, but they don't provide any skill to you while you do that.

Yes. I can look up the page, but I won't. Because I hate you.
Good... good... your journey to the Dark Side is nearly complete.

NO! I SHALL NOT...oh, cookies. Hmm. And I do like my TOR Bounty Hunter.

If only you guys didn't keep -losing-.

I've said this before, so this is becoming like my manifesto, but I would like skills to work like so:

The player develops and progresses skills by interacting with the world, and also through their gameplay choices. For example, if the player uses stealth to achieve an objective, then it's easier for the player to advance stealth-related skills. Or if the player chases people around with a bazooka-flamethrower, then it's harder for the player to increase their charisma related skills. This doesn't mean the player can never level up certain skills, this just means it might require relevant action to do so.

For example, if you a pay a fine (or bribe) for chasing people around with a bazooka-flamethrower, then charisma skills take 1 point to level up instead of 2 points.

Yeah, that's what I want, there.

Regarding that "chip" part, I see them like PC programs. Once you uninstall PS, u can't modify any pictures.

Yes, u could try to remember and do the same by hand (or handy). Like some who studied arts.

But again, as u didn't actually study arts, the results won't be nearly as good as the ones using the program.

Same happens with chips. It is a program doing "whatever-it-was-meant-to-do". Once you don't have the chip, you don't have the program.

I've said this before, so this is becoming like my manifesto, but I would like skills to work like so:

The player develops and progresses skills by interacting with the world, and also through their gameplay choices. For example, if the player uses stealth to achieve an objective, then it's easier for the player to advance stealth-related skills. Or if the player chases people around with a bazooka-flamethrower, then it's harder for the player to increase their charisma related skills. This doesn't mean the player can never level up certain skills, this just means it might require relevant action to do so.

For example, if you a pay a fine (or bribe) for chasing people around with a bazooka-flamethrower, then charisma skills take 1 point to level up instead of 2 points.

Yeah, that's what I want, there.

Some stats, like that one, might even diminish, if you do all what you said. That action-reaction part we all know.

It's not necessary for them to diminish. It's not always the case that you forget skills if you don't use them, like riding a bike or swimming.

I mean stuff like charisma. That's why I said stats instead of skills.

That bazooka-flamethrower people hunter should never have high charisma stats.

Not skills, because in a game there is not actually much time to think about that (and, honestly, IT'S a game, after all xD).

Well, I was hoping that your actions would affect your stats as well, that's why I included charisma. But whatever, my request is too specific, at this point, I am better off making my own game, heh.

Yeah, get on that. Actions affecting stats might be too Elder Scrolls-ish, if I may say so.

Of course, I think of Planescape Torment and smile. I liked when you could change your character and stats in dialogue. I miss that.

Top Bottom