"Skull" level enemies

+
"Skull" level enemies

Has anyone had a look at the files to determine if there is an artificial boost higher level enemies receive compared to Geralt? It seems they become a lot easier when you get closer to their level, much more than the little stat increase Geralt gets from another level or two would imply.

In my experience, Geralt can't apply special effects (bleeding, freezing, burning, etc) to monsters with ?? lvl (I think it's a gap more than 15 levels). The lesser level gap the more chances to make critical or special damage

The gap is 6 lvls. And you can certainly burn them, provided the monster is actually susceptible to burn, although it might have a lower chance to apply.

I haven't looked at the game files yet, but from my experience (I tried to kill them a lot):
1. You have a much lower chance to apply critical effects to them (the greater difference in levels - the lower chance you have)
2. They have much higher chance to apply critical effects to you (e.g. if enemy can poison you, you'll be poisoned by almost every attack)
3. Damage against them is lowered (I can't say by how much, but attacking level 11 with level 5 resulted in attacks doing ~40 damage, while normally it did more than 100)
I play on Death March.
They also seem to engage much more aggresively when you're much lower. For example I came to some tower at level 6 and enemies there attacked me as soon as I got close to the tower, but when I came at level 22 they ignored me until I entered the tower and got close to them.

Last edited:
On Death March I don't even bother fighting against them, they one-shot you no matter what, you barely do any damage, and even if everything goes perfect you're looking at a 20+ minute fight and chances are you'll get shitty normal loot as well.

I've also noticed that high level and ?? monsters have a high aggro rating. Also another thing I noticed is monsters that are a lower level than you and have a grey level don't have a high aggro rating and they sometimes run away as well.

Get wrecked, Fiend!
Seems pretty balanced!

---------- Updated at 08:02 PM ----------

It's good for most enemies, but then balance hits as Wraiths and Elementals wreck Igni builds haha. Sword build works for every enemy, so some can argue that it is the best overall.
I completed the game with fast style sword build, but didn't do quite as much damage at level 35 (death march). Are you sure that your character was not affected by dimetrium bomb bug? My attacks did as much as 1500 damage. With potions I could reach 3000+, but not even close to 6500 and that's on level 34.

Last edited:
I completed the game with fast style sword build, but didn't do quite as much damage at level 35 (death march). Are you sure that your character was not affected by dimetrium bomb bug? My attacks did as much as 1500 damage. With potions I could reach 3000+, but not even close to 6500 and that's on level 34.

No, I am not affected by the Dimetrium bomb bug. Well, at least I don't think I am. I used it a couple of times when I first made it, but haven't after that. Plus, the sign intensity numbers look reasonable, and is probably what people should be having at this level with that build?

Regarding the Igni damage, it is based off of enemy's max HP. So, stronger the enemy, stronger the damage ticks will be. Poison and Bleed are also based on enemy max HP I believe.

No, I am not affected by the Dimetrium bomb bug. Well, at least I don't think I am. I used it a couple of times when I first made it, but haven't after that. Plus, the sign intensity numbers look reasonable, and is probably what people should be having at this level with that build?

Regarding the Igni damage, it is based off of enemy's max HP. So, stronger the enemy, stronger the damage ticks will be. Poison and Bleed are also based on enemy max HP I believe.
Ah, yes, I know it's based on enemy hp, but never understood that decision. I think it should be based on something else (at worst your sword damage, not the best options, but it works). But still 6500 is way too high. My bleeds only did like 2000 damage to lvl 30+ enemies.

Death March, in the early game like level 15 and lower I just ran from every skull enemy I saw, now I'm level 26 and fighting skull enemies is the only combat in the game I really enjoy. Fought this really cool ghost and he was a ghost not a specter, he refused to be slowed by Yrden, burnt by fire or poisoned by my specter oil, also he hit like a truck, what a fun fight, this game needs more of this. So sick of wolves, drowners and naked bandits.

Last edited:
just found a cool Fiend on Skellige...he was red skull for me!
but "what the hell" i figured...he handed by sorry butt to me twice!!
finally after a good 10 minute fight i had his head!
but; ive also tried that with other red skulls and just be annihilated!
i think the red skull system works really well...its good to be reminded youre not the invincible Witcher all those wolf and drowner corpses might suggest you are!

For me the main problem always was the gear. If you are low-level you have lower gear, and at a difference of 5 levels the gear can make as much difference as +100 damage and +10% critical hit chance or similar. Add it up and the lower you are in level the longer the fight takes. Now the higher the enemy is the more effective are his abilities and critical effects. Especially Nightwraiths seem very problematic if you are low level (talking about < level 10, because that is when you do not have a lot of gear variety yet) since they have the annoying ability to heal up.

On new game plus I defeat Red Skull enemies all the time

Attachments

• 6ff50896-c7b9-42bc-9fe4-37aa989bcd19_1.gif
    6ff50896-c7b9-42bc-9fe4-37aa989bcd19_1.gif
    2.3 MB · Views: 118
You can beat some skull monsters but for me it certainly took a long time I usually avoid them until I close the level gap

Top Bottom