Skyrim

+
I haven't modded the game in a very long time, but I know what I've seen. You're free to go explore yourself.

OK, some mods can require the Dragonborn assets, but for the Dragonborn, you need separate mods that support it. Just like a separate game.

Yeah, but at least Hearthfire is the least "important" DLC; Dawnguard and Dragonborn are required a lot more.

Oh ok, I didn't know that because I've never paid much attention to DLC dependencies. If that's true then he can just go for it and add whatever mods he wants into mod organizer. It will automatically tell you if any mods you've installed are missing a Hearthfire DLC dependency. If that's the case then you'd have to delete those mods, but this should occur much less than I thought.

Whenever a mod author for a given Bethesda game creates a mod while having the assets for the DLCs loaded in the Construction Kit, it will require the DLCs to be installed on the user-end as well. Many mod authors do this because later DLCs introduce tools or options that do not exist in the base game. So, even if the mod itself doesn't "seem" to have anything to do with the DLCs, they still require them to be installed in order to function properly.

The way that Beth tools create and read .esp files is equally versatile and clunky.

but for the Dragonborn, you need separate mods that support it.
Obviously, in some cases. Has nothing to do with what I said, though.

The way that Beth tools create and read .esp files is equally versatile and clunky.
And the way they hide the CK for SE makes things super clunky. Not to mention neither Skyrim CK can load files with multiple master files without an .ini edit. :facepalm:

And with SE, disabling achievements when any mod is loaded. Still makes no sense to me, and it's hilarious that someone instantly made a mod to disable the restriction. Surely Bethesda realised that was going to happen on the PC version. :D
It's not like achievements even do anything other than give bragging rights at most, and it's a single-player game so who cares whether mods are used.

My all time favorite game, and likely will remain that way until somebody creates a more appealing main character to me. Sadly, I stopped playing it a year or so ago, when I decided to permanently un-install Steam and move exclusively to GOG. I sure wish that Bethesda would bring a version to GOG.

Last edited:
And the way they hide the CK for SE makes things super clunky. Not to mention neither Skyrim CK can load files with multiple master files without an .ini edit. :facepalm:

And with SE, disabling achievements when any mod is loaded. Still makes no sense to me, and it's hilarious that someone instantly made a mod to disable the restriction. Surely Bethesda realised that was going to happen on the PC version. :D
It's not like achievements even do anything other than give bragging rights at most, and it's a single-player game so who cares whether mods are used.

You're supposed to...make mods for the...DLC...without...Skyrim.esm...? What?

Or is it actually a bug? (Heh. That would be brilliant. Beth releases a version of the CK, knowing that many people will probably use it to fix the millions of silly bugs in the game...but they leave a bug in the .ini that prevents master files from loading correctly. It's almost like they're indirectly saying, "Let us be absolutely clear, here." :LOL:

I just meant that it throws an error if you try to load more than one master file without editing the CK's ini file (whatever it's called) first. :D
You just need to edit the creation kit's .ini file to allow multiple masters. Add this to the general options in the .ini file:

bAllowMultipleMasterFiles=1
bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1

Edit: DUH !!! I just saw that you included the statement about the CK in your post. Sorry for not reading more carefully.

You just need to edit the creation kit's .ini file to allow multiple masters. Add this to the general options in the .ini file:

bAllowMultipleMasterFiles=1
bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1

Edit: DUH !!! I just saw that you included the statement about the CK in your post. Sorry for not reading more carefully.

Yeah, we were just having a laugh about wonky mechanics. I honestly have 0% understanding as to why Beth would even make options like that. It's been necessary since Morrowind to have multiple .esm files loaded if you want an .esp to be able to take advantage of the functionality from an expansion / DLC, and people are going to wind up with compatibility issues (and potentially dirty edits in the future) if they don't have all the requisite masters loaded before they begin.

(It's similar to the way they disabled modding altogether from Fallout 4 by default. They required players to edit the .ini files in order to mod the game...because...they thought players wouldn't want to mod that game...I guess...? "Baffling" is an understatement.)

Still on the topic of mods, they're the only reason I've never gotten anywhere near the end of the MQ with PC Skyrim. Dragon mods... making Alduin really, really tough. And other mods adding content to distract me from the MQ, as if that didn't happen all the time even in vanilla. :ROFLMAO:

One day... one day I will have 100% achievements in both Oldrim and SE.

(My favourite dragon mod has been RIP for years. :( )

Last edited:
I've both versions of Skyrim installed because Enderal requires Oldrim, and I decided to try and make some progress on Oldrim's achievements with a brand new character. 4004 hours clocked but only at 80%, with main quest and three out of base game faction questlines unfinished. Not that great.

Didn't want to go to the trouble of modding for 10+ hours, so I just put in the unofficial patch, a small mod to disable vampire attacks in towns, and an ENB that isn't too heavy. Game looks just as good as vanilla SE now -- but I encountered a most bizarre issue: NPCs do not talk at all, like literally at all, and the carriage ride got stuck in Helgen. Ralof just stared at me, mutely, all the way to the town, and it was really creepy.
Every other sound worked just fine, but voice was nonexistent. Hilarious, but I need to find a way to fix it obviously.

This game...

I used to play like that when I started, and it was definitely an immersive way to approach the game.

However, this happened to me as well at some point:
"... but eventually we all become stealth archers." :ROFLMAO:
And it's impossible to go back from that, it seems. So much FUN to snipe enemies from afar -- or from right next to them once skilled enough in Sneak.

I currently have a Breton stealth archer whose bow does 129 (139 when counting arrows) damage without sneak attack or critical strike bonuses. But she's wearing leather armour and hide boots (Predator's Grace) so she doesn't have much defense.
She is a former member of a Forsworn tribe (Alternate Start mod), and started her adventure by wiping out literally every single Forsworn camp and dungeon. Which was hard; anyone who's played Skyrim knows Forsworn are tough enemies.

The archery killcams that follow the arrow never, ever get old. The longer the shot the more fun it's to watch. Except when it misses the target... I've always wondered whether those failed killcams are a feature or a bug. Never know with this game.

The elder scrolls races in a nutshell;

Inperials: basic vanilla humans. Also sleazy businessmen.

Redguards: a bunch of pirates that live in sand castles and carry curved swords.

Nords: axe dragging savages that live in the snow and hate elves.

Breten: mix breed abominations. Half elf. Half man. Pure abomination. These guys are the passive aggressive ambitious cut throat politicians.

Khajiit: skooma addicted criminals. The khajiit have a god of thievery. The khajiit believe it's okay to steal. That alone should speak volumes on their trustworthiness.

Argonian: another beast race. These creatures live in a filthy horrid swamp that is completely inhospitable to any sentient race that isn't one of them. This is the only reason why the lizard people have never been fully conquered because their home is a literal cesspool of filth and parasites.

Orsimer: the uncivilized call them orcs. I would call them great craftsmen but they only make crude weapons and armor to reflect their ugly appearance. Orcs might have elven blood but they might as well be beast folk. Also their home in the wrothgarian mountains always gets destroyed cause everyone hates orcs cause orcs are bloodthirsty savages.

Bosmer: Wood elves is a commonly used name. Tree hugging cannibalistic elves. Also they are short.

Dunmer: devil worshiping egotistical outcasts. They used to be slave owners, but the lizards got revenge, and vvardenfell erupted. Basically karma. Despite all this, they are still egotistical entitled little elves that never shutup about how proud they are.

Altmer: The proud master race. Best race. Some people call them high elves. The greatest wizards. Longevity and elegance are just a few qualities they possess. They are also extremely egotistical and they kill babies if it's not extremely magically gifted. Lots of blood purity. Very vain. The altmer always whine and never shutup about aldmeris, but aldmeris is gone.

Last edited:
So basically,

Inperials: N'wah

Redguards: N'wah

Nords: N'wah

Breten: N'wah

Khajiit: N'wah

Argonian: N'wah

Orsimer: N'wah

Bosmer: N'wah

Dunmer: (y)

Altmer: N'wah

Never been a fan of any of the elven races. Especially Altmer, because Thalmor.
My very first Skyrim character was a Bosmer, though. Simply because they have a bonus in archery.

I've never played an Orc character for longer than maybe three hours. Altmer I had once and he was based on a book character. Dunmer, once. Bosmer, once.

Nord, countless times. The other races, a varying number of times but none anywhere near as often as Nord. I do really like Khajiit, though, and Argonians are also pretty fun. Bretons' magic resistance is huge, but Imperials and Redguards don't have much going for them from my perspective.

I very much dislike the thalmor, however I've always played as an altmer wizard in every elder scrolls game. Orcs are tons of fun.

I don't like how armor looks on khajiit and argonians. The way the tails clip the armor in third person.

I have three skyrim characters.

Altmer master wizard. Mastered every school of magick. Extremely broken. Almost immune to magic and kills anything within seconds. He also had a mastery of alchemy and speech.

I've also made an orc craftsman. Mastered smithing, enchanting, and alchemy. His crafted tools are better than any tool found in the game.

Lastly I made a imperial vampire lord. Extremely evil and beyond power hungry. Mastered destruction magic and one handed fighting as well as conjuration for necromancy and illusions because mind trickery is cool.

Being a mage is funny because with illusion magic... combine invisibility and muffle as well as quiet casting perk, and your mage is instantly better at sneaking than a master rogue.

But mages are glass cannons. Alteration improves armor, conjuration keeps you off the front lines, and restoration ensures you never drop to 0 hp. The respite perk means you never run out of stamina as well. Having a big magick pool means almost limitless health and stamina. Almost... you can still die if your not careful.

Lightning storm is OP. I have shot dragons out of the sky before they could even touch the ground and it is glorious. The other master level destruction spells are pretty lame though.

Enchanting and alchemy go hand in hand. You enchant a ring, necklace, gloves, and a circlet with improve alchemy enchantment. Then make improve enchanting potion and then rinse repeat.

I don't like mages, as in pure mages. Boring. My Altmer character was the closest I've ever come to playing one.

Vampires... literally the only reason I've ever become one is that I wanted the achievement for maxing out the Vampire Lord tree, in both versions of the game. And I reloaded/stopped playing the saves after finishing that achievement (right after Harkon turned me); I'll never go against the Dawnguard. Isran is the best, one of my favourite characters in the entire game.
Vampires are disgusting, bloodsucking abominations that need to be eradicated.

I've never done any crafting loops, especially the broken fortify Restoration one. Also boring. I almost never use any kind of fortify Smithing/Enchanting/Alchemy potions, and enchantments for those three are ones I never put on anything.

I practically always play on Adept (extremely rarely on Expert) but I find ways to make the game less easy by implementing restrictions. Master and Legendary are just stupid because of how the "difficulty" is nothing but massively boosting enemy HP and damage. Much more interesting to, for example, only use weapons, armour, and/or potions you craft yourself (this is why my Breton still wears leather). Doesn't even require mods, and your creativity is the limit.

Mods, of course, add a whole new world of possibilities, but vanilla Skyrim offers plenty by itself. That's why it's still almost my favourite game of all time -- second only to Witcher 3 -- even after over 8 years (I only got the game in late 2012 or in Jan 2013).
That almost vanilla playthrough of Oldrim I mentioned in September? Tons of fun despite the almost complete lack of mods (the vampire attack disabler mod doesn't even really count considering Bethesda themselves removed those attacks in SE).

Top Bottom