Skyrim

+
Skyrim

So who here is a fan of Bethesda's games? Anyone looking forward to this release?I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl. :phttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vizKJt3YGMM

Guest 2091327

I should prepare to run behind cover here...Haven't played any of those games yet.*runs*

Come stand next to me, Pangaea; I'm big enough to hide behind. :) I started Morrowind, but it seemed like I spent all my time trudging from one place to another, while absolutely nothing happened. I'm sure it gets better eventually, but I found it hard to get into.

@ Corylea: I may be mistaken, but I believe Oblivion has fast travel and Morrowind does not. That makes all the difference. Less trudging around.Story based/ linear games and open-world games represent a dichotomy among gamers. I'm a wanderlust sort of guy, in games as in real life. The lure of roaming wherever I want is burned into my psyche. So I can really get into exploration and freedom. It's one of my most cherished features of RPG's. Games that railroad me from one area to the next feel confining. (thankfully, TW1 does not do this)But I can understand that without a rigid structure, some gamers are turned off to open-world games. I find Bethesda's open-world approach to be very well thought out. It's not like GTA where there is a world full of nothing; there are pockets of interlacing narratives, some degree of choice and consequence, a remarkable attention to detail. The scope of their games is amazing.

I DO like open-world games -- exploration is part of what I love about RPG's -- it's just that exploring was very, very slow when I played Morrowind, and for the most part, there wasn't anything there.You've probably never played Might & Magic VI, VII, and VIII -- they're pretty darned old by now -- but those are games where I spent eons roaming the countryside, stumbling across hidden chests and non-plot-related caves and towns I didn't know existed. But it didn't take very long to go from one interesting place to the next interesting place, because the road had monsters and the occasional treasure. I wasn't just walking by myself and walking by myself and walking by myself and WALKING BY MYSELF endlessly, with no monsters, no change in the scenery, nothing to investigate.

slimgrin said:
@ Corylea: I may be mistaken, but I believe Oblivion has fast travel and Morrowind does not. That makes all the difference. Less trudging around....But I can understand that without a rigid structure, some gamers are turned off to open-world games. I find Bethesda's open-world approach to be very well thought out. It's not like GTA where there is a world full of nothing; there are pockets of interlacing narratives, some degree of choice and consequence, a remarkable attention to detail. The scope of their games is amazing.
Oblivion has fast travel, with the (relatively minor) limitation that you must have already visited the place you are fast traveling to.Morrowind has public transit and some fast-travel spells, which integrates fast travel into the game better than Oblivion does.Both are huge open worlds; if you apply time scale to the world scale, roughly the size of Switzerland. That's a big sandbox to make trouble in, so they are leisurely games where you just forget about the story and explore for days on end.I love them both, but Morrowind animation is pretty retro, and Oblivion combat is crap. Skyrim is on a whole new engine, so maybe they have some better approximation of enjoyable combat. In a world of Nords with damned big axes, they'd better.

Well I'll most likely get it, but frankly I don't have that much expectations and that saying, I've played both Oblivion and Fallout 3. (and actually didnt' consider them to be bad)That stated I haven't played Morrowind but I actually (based on the description from a friend) have more respect to Morrowind since there is more logic. (You can't just run around like a naked monkey in Morrowind and people find it ok)I think Yahtzee pretty much sums up the reason why I don't play Oblivion anymore although I did enjoy it in the beginning.http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/75-OblivionWhy am I mentioning Oblivion since this is Skyrim? Mainly cause this doesn't feel like elder scroll 5 but more (as Jim said at Rock paper shotgun) as Oblivion 3.However guess we have to wait and see how it unfolds.
GuyN039wah said:
I love them both, but Morrowind animation is pretty retro, and Oblivion combat is crap. Skyrim is on a whole new engine, so maybe they have some better approximation of enjoyable combat. In a world of Nords with damned big axes, they'd better.
That's something I wonder about, Yes they have stated it is a new engine, yet the combat looks extremely familiar to Fallout 3/Oblivion. Hopefully we'll see something new about the game soon.

JohanS said:
That's something I wonder about, Yes they have stated it is a new engine, yet the combat looks extremely familiar to Fallout 3/Oblivion. Hopefully we'll see something new about the game soon.
I'm hopeful, at least because they have finally implemented shouted magic. [In TES lore, Nords of Skyrim possess the knowledge of extremely powerful vocal magic (thu'um). Talos the Dragonborn, who was also Emperor Tiber Septim, was one of its greatest masters.]

Hmmm. Traveling in Morrowind does sound like a better approach. I tried Morrowind, and found the collision detection in combat abysmal. So I gave up on it. But it's true many gamers prefer it over Oblivion. We'll see how it's done in Skyrim.

It's not the collision detection but the animation that makes Morrowind combat look silly.Morrowind combat is dice-roll, but the animation does not reflect that. A character unskilled in the weapon he is using can't hit the broad side of a guar, even though the animation shows you swinging right through it.Oblivion combat is always-hit, but the damage depends on character skill, which leads to extended attrition fights that become repetitious because of the limited animation (and flagrantly imbalanced when you have magic weapons).

I respect Morrowind, but like Corylea, I found its travel too slow, and I never enjoyed its combat. Oblivion was more fun, but that was because I enjoyed the fast-travel option and the guild quests rather than its main story. Sandbox games are mechanically impressive when done well, but I don't get much out of random destruction or dungeon crawling, so they're not a big draw for me. So I am looking forward to Skyrim, but it probably won't be a Day One purchase for me.

I`m currently trying to get TES 1 and 2 to run on vista 64 i think that`s Arena and Daggerfall but i have to use Dosbox in order to do so so while working on that and waiting for TW 2 i will be waiting for Skyrim and so far it looks pretty good but i think i`ll not preorder at least not until it i see some more videos ans especially gameplay videos .

I'm very excited for Skyrim. I enjoyed Oblivion and in fact still play it occasionally, if it doesn't crash.Morrowind is my most favorite video game of all time, though it is sharing it's place with The Witcher.For Skyrim, I'm hoping Bethesda is combining the, in my opinion, good qualities from both games. Morrowind's story, diversity and atmosphere, Oblivions graphics and accessibility.Oddly enough, the reason why I liked both and still play them to this day is only remotely related to the actual games: Bethesda is the best example when it comes to community support, in the form of giving them the Construction Set. The games become so diverse and enhanced, in the way the individual player would like. This is what creates a beautiful game.Yes, one could argue that I don't like the games for what they are vanilla (anybody know where that term came from?), but that doesn't halt my opinion.So yes, I'm excited for Skyrim. All Bethesda has to do to make me happy, is to make the game as intriguing as possible, then release the CS and the Community will to the rest.

My second or third most anticipated game of this year. The trailer truly defined epic when the Dragonborne yell and the music kicks in. Unbelievable trailer. Let's hope the gameplay matches.

Oblivion is my single most played game ever... between the 3 characters I have on my current computer I have a bit under 1000 hours of gameplay. (yes, I have no life) A lot of that being just wandering around through the scenery admiring the view, lol. I love the look of Skyrim and can't wait for it. 2011 is like the best year ever for new game releases!

While i don`t have a 1000 hours in it i did invest a lot of time in it . There were only 2 things in Oblivion that i didn`t really care for that much one was all those gates that kept popping up i think in one game the most i closed was 78 and finally got so fed up with them that i closed them for good by the main quest . Which brings me to my second thing to which i didn`t like as the game never ends it`s like the energizer bunny it keeps going and going and going.I did like most the mods for the game that are out there though.But for the Skyrim trailer i thought it was great but i will wait and see what the game entails before committing to buying it.

A good set of interviews. This guy seems genuine.http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/01/13/road-to-skyrim-the-todd-howard-interview.aspx

Will do my best to get a look at them when i don`t have to worry about caps.I`m still working on dosbox and TES 1 and 2 .....i`ll give it another go this weekend. I would definitely love to see the games that started it all

Top Bottom