Slave Hunter

+
Slave Hunter

I've been testing out this card and I think it's terrible. Have any of you guys made a decent deck for it?

I think that if Nilfgaard had units that actually did some damage then they'd be a bit better. Perhaps they'd be good in reveal/conceal? Idk.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Slave Hunter is a card without synergy and (thus) good for filling the last few slots of a deck when you don't have any other synergistic cards that fit better or when you still need an opener card. Slave Hunter is only a bad card when the create effect only shows muster units and/or synergistic units for other factions. On average, that doesn't happen too often, in my experience.

4RM3D;n10154872 said:
Slave Hunter is a card without synergy and (thus) good for filling the last few slots of a deck when you don't have any other synergistic cards that fit better or when you still need an opener card. Slave Hunter is only a bad card when the create effect only shows muster units and/or synergistic units for other factions. On average, that doesn't happen too often, in my experience.

I think you're confusing Slave Hunter with Slave Driver. I love Slave Drivers. Slave Hunter Charms an enemy with 3 or less power.

In theory 14 points from a bronze isn't bad, but obviously it can be very tricky to find 3 strength units to charm. Sure, you could add a lot removal cards to your deck, but that will probably not always give you a 3 strength unit and if it's just 1 or 2 points it's not good enough to justify it.

In a meta that is ruled by big dwarf units that are easily buffed, it's definitely tough to find food for Slave Hunter. Impera Enforcers might be the card that can get enough opposing units to three to justify Slave Hunter. But for a Spy deck obviously there are better bronze choices.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
OG.laloquaint;n10154912 said:
I think you're confusing Slave Hunter with Slave Driver. I love Slave Drivers. Slave Hunter Charms an enemy with 3 or less power.

:huh:

Aye, totally forgot that card even existed.

devivre;n10155032 said:
In theory 14 points from a bronze isn't bad, but obviously it can be very tricky to find 3 strength units to charm. Sure, you could add a lot removal cards to your deck, but that will probably not always give you a 3 strength unit and if it's just 1 or 2 points it's not good enough to justify it.

In a meta that is ruled by big dwarf units that are easily buffed, it's definitely tough to find food for Slave Hunter. Impera Enforcers might be the card that can get enough opposing units to three to justify Slave Hunter. But for a Spy deck obviously there are better bronze choices.

Yeeeeah it's really hard to find a good unit to steal. I was able to steal two Nekkers from somebody though. That new Skellige unit that spawns a bear is a good target too since he's 1 strength. Otherwise they're kinda bad. /-:

I think there's a meta deck somewhere with him and vicovaro as the core designed to screw with the other decks in the game, given how prevalent revive chain strats are right now. Slaving Elven scouts, the mahakam guy, slave drivers and the bear summoner and/or resurrecting them are actually pretty big blows for those decks. Don't know if anyone's going to try and make that deck anytime soon though.

For me the main problem is that NG doesn't have good cards for damage like NR machines. The best use for SH would be to charm unit like vid officer or siege support, however in order to do this you need to deal 6~4 damage. Crossbow requires without infiltrator, Vipers are supposed to deal far bigger dmg, Alzur is insta killer, the only unit that could work is scorpion but I feel that SH doesn't fit reveal deck anyway.

Kerset;n10159832 said:
For me the main problem is that NG doesn't have good cards for damage like NR machines. The best use for SH would be to charm unit like vid officer or siege support, however in order to do this you need to deal 6~4 damage. Crossbow requires without infiltrator, Vipers are supposed to deal far bigger dmg, Alzur is insta killer, the only unit that could work is scorpion but I feel that SH doesn't fit reveal deck anyway.

Exactly! I've been using them with reveal/conceal, but they still kinda suck. I wish the Arbalest had synergy with the Soldier archetype instead. It would make more sense.

An inverted standard bearer, that's what's needed. Every time a soldier hits the field on your side, deal 1 damage to a target. Very similar to the spy-triggered one, but I think 1 damage is a better balance because of slave infantry potentially making it beyond abusive (while the spy one does a lot of damage, it's still triggered by giving points to the opponent). That would give Slave Hunter an instant spot in the soldier deck, as way to steal bronze tech cards after our inverted standard bearer (standard bearer-stabber? he stabs people with his standard?) has weakened them.

You mean that card that does 2 dmg everytime you play a spy?!? It has no synergy with soldiers, but does exist. Also, it works with an agitator strengthened by Dennis, a sage, harpy eggs, your own spies etc.. it's not consistently good, but there are plenty of targets.

I think it's just a tech card. It's not meant to be played on ladder but if a 3 or lower unit become the key component of any tiers 1 deck in tournament we may see it played.
That said it could also see play on ladder but it would be very surprising.

Fun fact, the card as been introduced exactly when Nekkers (which used to be 3 str) are not carrying over anymore (and thus a lot less threating) and are now 4 (so they dodge the Slave hunter anyway)...This card arrived a bit too late.

It would be interesting to give Nilfgaard some tools in order to make a decent control deck, especially since they have Jan Calveit which is probably the best leader in the game for this play style (even better than Eithne imo).

KingPegasus;n10161482 said:
You mean that card that does 2 dmg everytime you play a spy?!? It has no synergy with soldiers, but does exist. Also, it works with an agitator strengthened by Dennis, a sage, harpy eggs, your own spies etc.. it's not consistently good, but there are plenty of targets.

No no, you misunderstand. A card LIKE that one that triggers with soldiers, hence why I said 'deal 1 damage'. It'd be really quite powerful in the new NG soldier archetype, and would also make slave hunters an auto-include since you could set up captures. Well, maybe not auto-include, but a definite thing to think about.

I can't help but feel Emhyr is the better control leader since he lets you re-use control cards. Calveit seems a better fit for a deck that just wants to play as much stuff as possible. I think he's a natural for the alchemy deck, for example.

iamthedave;n10162632 said:
No no, you misunderstand. A card LIKE that one that triggers with soldiers, hence why I said 'deal 1 damage'. It'd be really quite powerful in the new NG soldier archetype, and would also make slave hunters an auto-include since you could set up captures. Well, maybe not auto-include, but a definite thing to think about.

I can't help but feel Emhyr is the better control leader since he lets you re-use control cards. Calveit seems a better fit for a deck that just wants to play as much stuff as possible. I think he's a natural for the alchemy deck, for example.

True but he's also very strong if your strategy rely on using mostly control specials (ala Scoiat'ael control) because he allows you to fetch for answers when you don't have the right one in your hand.
Obviously it's not of any use right now because this type of deck isn't even a thing for Nilfgaard (but it seem like it could evolve in this direction with the new Yen for example).

Have a look at my 'annoyance.deck'. I'm experimenting with creating this very sort of thing. Not quite scoia-control, but it is all about shutting down the opponent's strategy.

iamthedave;n10163182 said:
Have a look at my 'annoyance.deck'. I'm experimenting with creating this very sort of thing. Not quite scoia-control, but it is all about shutting down the opponent's strategy.

I actually made a pretty decent deck for them yesterday. I can post the deck list later if you'd like to try it out. Do you have a link to yours?

So guys, after making around four different decks I finally made one that kinda works. Good against Beastmasters and other small units. It's practically a Mill deck, so I'm sorry about that lol. You could change the silvers for different things, like Sarah and/or Sweers. Lots of good options.

Here's the deck:

Emhyr
Stefan Skellen (Into Cantarella and Stregobor for a one point CA spy, without adding Reveal)
Vilgefortz
Regis: Higher Vampire (Guaranteed Vicovaro res)
Muzzle
Cantarella
Albrich
Stregobor
Assire
Peter Gwynleve
Vanhemar (Weather Clear)
Slave Hunters x3
Magne Division x3
Slave Driver x3
Vicovaro Medic x3
Spear x3

I'd not thought of that interaction with Stregobor. It's a good one, definitely. Stefan's enough of a swing that most people don't pass the round when you play him. I'm beginning to sour on Vilge a little in this deck. He doesn't often produce good results for me. Why no Cahir? And I presume spears are to set up slave hunter?

Top Bottom