Slow Motion Bug

+
This glitch or bug makes Geralt and the world around him slower, even jumping. This bug happened to me all of a sudden, after 25+ hours of gameplay. And it happens with all of the previous save files. This thing makes the game unplayable. I read about this on several post, but it never got a fix. Please do something about it

D'oh!

Whatever you do, don't save. If you did, delete the "guilty" save, all autosaves, and all quicksaves, exit to Windows and restart the game, then load a prior save. Basically, if i remember right, this happens when the game happens to save while you're in slow-mo (like using the crossbow or during horseback combat). The game sort of replaces its default state with the slow state.

If that doesn't work, download the debug console:
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1555/

Activate it in game and enter the command:

slow(1)

Thank you for the quick response but I already tried both. None of them worked. If I use the slow(1) command, the game would seem fixed for a minute or so but then again it slows down

Update: now it not just seem fixed but fastens itself to twice the speed and then slows down again

Talk to me about modding. Are you presently using mods, or have you ever used any in the past? If so, what? (Ballpark idea -- you don't need to create a whole laundry list.)

Not a single one until this problem. Even now I'm using only the debug console. I just bought the game

Curious. Alright...

1.) Back up your saves somewhere, then delete the entire ...\Documents\The Witcher 3\... directory.

2.) Verify / repair the game through GOG / Steam / Origin.

3.) Set the following:
GPU Control Panel:
Vsync = Controlled by the 3D application
Frames to render ahead = 1
Texture Filtering = High Quality
Power management = Prefer maximum performance
*All other settings should be Nvidia / Radeon defaults

In-Game:
Fullscreen
Resolution = 1080p (or less)
Vsyn = On
Frame Limit = 60 (or less)

4.) Ensure all overclocking is disabled. The game can be very uncooperative with OC of any sort.

5.) Begin a new game, and see if the issue happens again. Actively try to make it happen. If it doesn't, take a single saved game from you backup and see if it's still an issue there. If so, then the problem is likely in your save-state.

It's funny -- this is a very old bug that I haven't heard about in long while. I'm thinking that, somehow, your game may not be fully up to date. Does it read 1.31 on the main menu?

It didn't helped and yes my game is 1.31. I think, I reached my limits. I tried everything I could do, tried what you kindly suggested and yet there is no result. The game is still slow, even when I start a new game. At this point I feel like it will never be fixed, which is a shame, because I'm a big fan of the books and the 2nd game, and also it cost me a small fortune.

It didn't helped and yes my game is 1.31. I think, I reached my limits. I tried everything I could do, tried what you kindly suggested and yet there is no result. The game is still slow, even when I start a new game. At this point I feel like it will never be fixed, which is a shame, because I'm a big fan of the books and the 2nd game, and also it cost me a small fortune.

You can try disabling Vsync and also post your PC specs, it may be you GPU playing tricks, if you can I would recommend trying on a different PC or a different Operating System.

Last edited:
Oh, there's definitely something wrong somewhere, and it can be fixed. Do post specs as the post above states, and also, send this into CDPR Support:

http://en.cdprojektred.com/support/

1.) Using any overclocking?

2.) Where is the game installed (directory path)?

3.) What sort of antivirus do you have installed?

4.) What is your monitor setup like?

5.) What's changed with your system since last you played? New software / hardware installed? Windows updates? Etc.

Oh, another kind soul joins the fray. So I have:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470
GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
RAM: 10 GB
Windows 10 64-bit

And for your questions:
1.) I do not use any overclocking; in fact I have never heard of it, before you said it
2.) Local disc (C: ) - ProgramFiles (x86) - GOG Galaxy - Games
3.) Avast ( but just the free version9
4.) If you ask what kind of I'm using: a Samsung UE32EH5000 (tv)
5.) If I recall right I didn't dowload anything when that happened

1.) I do not use any overclocking; in fact I have never heard of it, before you said it

This is goody.

2.) Local disc (C: ) - ProgramFiles (x86) - GOG Galaxy - Games

Possibly a factor. Move the game's installation to the root of your drive or a folder of your own creation. For example: ...C:\The Witcher 3\... or ...C:\MyRPGgames\The Witcher 3\... (Installing games to Program Files or Program Files(x86) can be problematic as these are protected directories. Not always friendly for gaming.)

Also, ensure that witcher3.exe is set to "Run as administrator". Set the Permissions for ...\Documents\The Witcher 3\... to "Everyone".

3.) Avast ( but just the free version9

This is goody. Just be sure the game's directory and the ...Documents\The Witcher 3\... folder are added to the exceptions list in Avast!.

4.) If you ask what kind of I'm using: a Samsung UE32EH5000 (tv)

Might be a factor. Ensure that the TV is set to "Game Mode" if it's available. (This will be in the Options Menu on the TV itself.) Also, if the TV has any built-in "anti-hacker" features, try disabling them to see if that has any effect.

5.) If I recall right I didn't dowload anything when that happened

Well, anything is possible, but this is a very old issue, as I mentioned before. For it to have surfaced now...something with your system is not getting along with the game. Windows can often sneak updates in when you're not watching. Normally, I disable auto-update, but Windows 10 is still going through its growing pains, so I think it's best to just leave it for now.

Most surprising to me is that you see the slowdown if you begin a new game. That definitely should not be happening. Be sure you send a ticket into CDPR Support if you haven't already.

Top Bottom