Slower walk speed broken with patch 1.07

+
Very disappointing… and really cannot understand such decision especially cause you introduced an alternative control scheme. If certain people didn’t like the old control scheme in regard to responsiveness they have the alternative one so why changing the standard one and disappoint those who’d liked it?? In my opinion the old style was fine as it was... Why not giving a choice to choose? Old style as from the beginning and alternative one

So to please people that couldn't control Geralt properly you take the option away from everyone that was perfectly happy with it.

So much for the alternate control method being optional eh?

I purchased a copy of Witcher 3 on Xbox One, started to enjoy the game, SLOWLY, and then decided to purchase another copy for my new PC. All before patch 1.07. So, I have invested over $120 on two copies of the game. Now, with no warning, my ability to control my character as I desire and am accustomed is removed as part of a patch! Patches should fix bugs and iron out problems, not remove controls that existed in the game as purchased, controls that were not broken. The control system is still in there, still in the code. But it is masked or overwritten by the patch files. You cannot tell me, CD Projekt Red, that there was not a better way of going about this. You cannot honestly say that the removal of slow walk, if some people wanted it (not that I have ever seen anyone asking for this ability to be removed) could not have been implemented as an option or as a piece of optional DLC, rather than a global (and basically mandated) change. Sure, since I now own a copy on PC, I can revert to patch 1.06. But then I am locked at 1.06 and cannot benefit from actual needed fixes in later patches. And Xbox One and PS users don’t even have that limited choice.

I quote CD Projekt Red Community Manager Marcin Momot concerning changes in patch 1.07 relating to an alternate movement style, “Once you play it, you’ll be able to choose the one that fits you better. If you put in a lot of hours into the game and we change it all of a sudden, that would feel weird, wouldn’t it? That’s why we thought it would be only natural to have this as an on/off option,". I ask you, CD Projekt Red, did you implement this control change as an option? You did not. You removed player’s ability to moderate their movement speed across BOTH options.

I appreciate the stances your company takes towards gamers. I believe, for the most part, that you are setting standards we, as gamers and as customers, hope to see in a game company. But THIS, folks, was poorly done. Removing control and reducing player agency is never a good thing. As a paying customer, I expect and demand better from you. A brief reply from one of your forum monitors, who obviously didn’t even know about this change themselves until recently, is not sufficient.

Please, I offer you a chance to give a better accounting of your thought processes here. But ultimately, I urge you to re-implement this change, as a true option, as it should have been implemented originally.

Please respond.

Last edited:
We've received multiple reports from users who would complain about Geralt's responsiveness being bad when transitioning from slow walking to stopping. It's a conscious choice, not a bug. We hope that you understand it.

what about the multiple reports from users that actually wanted the full length of the analog stick just for walking, and had no major issue with the movement because surprise, walking is the most precise way to control geralt. but you guys went in the complete opposite direction from what players that actually like to immerse themselves in their role playing games wanted.

such a beatifully crafted world deserves less emphasis on running around and rushing everywhere, would be a lot better imo if running was relegated to the x/a button, tap for speed.

Last edited:
I quote CD Projekt Red Community Manager Marcin Momot concerning changes in patch 1.07 relating to an alternate movement style:

“Once you play it, you’ll be able to choose the one that fits you better. If you put in a lot of hours into the game and we change it all of a sudden, that would feel weird, wouldn’t it? That’s why we thought it would be only natural to have this as an on/off option,".

We all ask you, CD Projekt Red, please bring back slow walk as it was on normal movement style/mode!

It's disappointing to hear this was a conscious decision on the part of the dev team. I hope they consider "unfixing" the analog walking in the classic movement mode and restricting it to the new movement mode only.

Not very good news, lucky me waited with patching the game. As my perfomance is top notch on high settings and i didn´t have any noticable bugs so far i´ll stay with 1.06. I´m pretty happy that the only DLC which came with 1.07 and 1.08 was an alternative look for ciri and some additional finisher animations. Won´t update till i hit a mayor bug/game stopper or till they fix this. Like already mentioned: there is an citation stating that the old movement system won´t be touched. Right now i can´t find a difference between "alternative mode" and "normal mode". I thought that the "normal mode" would not be affected by this?

Well, I for one didn't like the responsivess of the controller for the walk so I liked this particular change

Well, I for one didn't like the responsivess of the controller for the walk so I liked this particular change

Let's see how you like it when you are following a companion and you miss a portion of their dialogue because you arrived at the quest checkpoint too quickly.

Don`t forget my friend: such change would be optional... not mandatory... as imposed to many players that were absolutely fine with the old "normal" style.

I really want the old movement style back. This is the first game I have played where I actually dread the patches. Yeah, stuff gets fixed, but other stuff gets broken or there are undocumented changes that make you wish you didn't install it.

I really want the old movement style back. This is the first game I have played where I actually dread the patches. Yeah, stuff gets fixed, but other stuff gets broken or there are undocumented changes that make you wish you didn't install it.
Here's to hoping CDPR realizes that removing things from a game (especially things such as player character modes of movement) is not a good idea, at least not without a discussion with the community that shelled out good money for their product.

Man they fucked the game up more and more with every patch. There is already a topic with 45 pages in the normal section about the missing slow walk. You guys should focus your efforts on that thread and maybe CDPR will take notice of us.

I stopped playing it too. I thought it was a mistake they would fix by 1.08, I was wrong. So there it sits. I keep looking over at it longingly but to be honest phantom pain is keeping me more than happy. Yet still, I keep finding myself wanting to explore witcher 3 more. I had only just finished with white orchard and moved on to Velen when 1.07 rolled out. It stopped me in my tracks. Obviously the walking controls were intended to be as they were when it was released and it received some of the best reviews I've ever seen. 10 on gamespot ain't easy to swing. This game deserved every ounce of praise. It's phenomenal in so many ways. Then a few complainers complained about clunky movement, or whatever the hell they were saying, & the developer removed all walk variations slower than the fastest pace ON PURPOSE from what I've read, in an effort to "improve" something that was fine the way it was, and they didn't mention it once in any patch change log. They mentioned all the other changes & fixes, and even created an alternate movement option where Gerald turns tighter when running around, but nothing about the removal of all but one walking speed (the fastest). Why they didn't just do that for the alternate movement mode confounds me to no end. This only effects those of us with consoles, if you play on a pc with a keyboard, for you nothing has changed. For me, something huge has changed, something fundamental. I don't like it. I'll keep waiting for them to realize their mistake but at some point I'll just delete it, reinstall it, & NEVER update it until I receive clear news that they've fixed the problem. And it is a problem. At least for those of us of like mind. If I didn't love the game so much I wouldn't care, I would just run around & be happy with all the killing, which is great btw. My problem is I care too much. This is the kind of game that I like to escape into. It's so immersive & captivating. The removal of walk speed choice ruined that for me. It'd be better if I hadn't had it in the first place. You can't miss what you never had.

I thought this might be a good time to revive this thread. Now that blood and wine is coming out and CDPR will be moving on to Cyberpunk there is not much time left. Luckily it has been said in interviews that the game could still get a patch or two.

Please CDPR, put the walking back to the way it was for the original control scheme. Leave the changes for the alternate (Isn't that the whole point of having the choice?)

You've made possibly the greatest game of all time. Please don't leave the Witcher 3 with such a nagging issue.

My movement on PC using the default movement system has never changed. I'm not sure about the alternate movement though -- I played around with it for a bit and found it felt a little bit too loose.

It may be down to the type of controller being used.

This "slow walk" was removed I think for all platforms. Former 1.08 Geralt could move in 5 speeds (outside houses, not riding). Now there are only 3 speeds: walking, running, sprinting. Still hoped that Devs would bring this as on "original standard control" back to 1.21. It seemed that a bunch of people were complaining about this original control type but for me Geralt lost some movement variations I liked - in door it is still possible

Top Bottom