Slowing down time/Bullet time suggestion

+
Slowing down time/Bullet time suggestion

In Max Payne games there is this Bullet time mechanics which lets you slow down the time. Is this permitted in Cyberpunk universe?

Lore could be fictionally explained or by taking the drugs with the impression of time slowing down.

Not directly.
It's more that some people are so augmented they (almost) always get the first shot ... and at extremely short indoor ranges that matters a LOT.

I've been pretty strongly agains this kind of feature in the past so it'd be inconsistent of me to not oppose it here too... :p So, please no. As well as it might fit in some titles, leave it out of this game....

If they do it, I would go for more skill/reward based approach. You build up adrenaline ( by taking risk or performing more varied, complex actions) and then it follows. Regular slow mo: press X to cheese, feels overdone, lasts too long and is easily exploitable.
If would also work if you, or npc, tries to attack one another directly through dialogue, working in a way similar to Max Payne III multiplayer. ( It is extremely irritating when npcs get a few cheap hits while you still need to draw your weapon).
Extremely short though ( with some perhaps modifications by one of player stats), only half a second or so.

Guest 4149880

Working it into the PvE side of the game probably wouldn't be an issue. It wouldn't work in real time PvP unless the ability more or less only slowed your opponent's reflexes while you maintain your regular speed, which would piss everyone off I'm almost certain.

I'd be okay with it with the proper extremely expensive cyber-ware or as an ability for Solos. Definitely not something for everyone. Agree with those estimating that it would be overly problematic for multiplayer.

Solution IMO is incorporate multiplayer (if it's there at all) as part of the net, where you main SP character can go to blow off steam. Thus they play as some other avatar, which doesn't have the bullet time capabilities.

So. Not a huge fan of slowing things down. Little over used, often clumsily. And also reaaaallly powerful.

I'd prefer a bit of aim-assist, actually. A feature I always turn off in games but makes sense in Cyberpunk 2077. You have to buy it, though, through gear and skills and cyber.

Why aim assist over VATS or bullet time?

1. Cyberpunk 2020 already has smartguns that aim-assist. So, precedent.

2. It's kind of cool to shoot at four people and hit them every time. Better your skill, gear or cyber, better the hit location or number of rounds that hit.

3. You could do a cool slow-mo from time to time without adding too much to the combat time, unlike in slow mo.

4. It lets you leave bullet time or frozen time for really advanced cyberware and tactical mode. Progression is good.

5. Works in multiplayer. Also lets you add gear that reduces aim assist - chaff, smartgun hacking, injuries, etc.

I mean, some people are going to complain the game is then too easy. I laugh. In the real world, we are working on aim-assist. In CP2020 it's very much a part of the tech and the combat world.
Of course, in 2020, you only have ONE LIFE. So every edge is desired. Only maniacs run into every fight and with very few exceptions, they meet a DPU or API round and thaaaaaat's all folks.

So yeah, gradiated levels of enhanced shooting and stabbing.

I could go for aim-assist, that's character skill/equipment type mechanics, thus more RPG then FPS.
As I've side elsewhere, bullet-time is just a hokey mechanic all the way around. I'm not even thrilled with VATS but it at least permits player shooting skills to be used in what has become more-and-more of an FPS.

Last edited:
So auto aim covers extra time that the character virtually has for aiming. But it would be a sight if if speed enhancement can be also translated into defensive part of char modelling in a game. Sure if you can move faster you will be harder to hit (wonder what is the granularity of the modification for relative speeds). Or if you can end up fight faster(auto aim) it is also a defense. But that's not fully it.
I think defense can be quite a value as it can help to make fights not to be a sprint to death , especially in melee fights where stamina is more in play.

In a constrained environment, melee combat- running or larger scale movement would much less available. So how to pull out some Neo-esque evasions in RT?
I would love to see "Charter Adaptability" button in play where you call out characters perceptions and problem solving. So it will be up to players to enter that behavior, it can also make difference on how they train their char (what kind of techniques character pulls out).

Projected into combat: you have been aimed- locked Street Samurai knowing that shot is practically on the way, sends player screen of simplified situation where he needs to solve some tetris like problem (of course not fully covering situation behind that would disrupt immersion) by just moving the free spot, and the invasion is coming.. Of course system can be very complex with charcter prioritization (tank evading a bullet letting mage behind him self hit ? )

Last edited:
I've been suggesting a sort of auto aim for quite some time already. Although, I wouldn't remove player responsibility form it (needing to at least press a button when pointing an enemy).

With some form of cyberbrain you should have very fast thinking, like pause, with enought cyberlimbs you should have accelerate. But you cant jump with bullet time, once you moved the gravity works in normal time.
Also if we have some hacking, we can hack enemy or something in time needed to draw weapon.

felixsylvaris;n9858881 said:
With some form of cyberbrain <clip>
No "cyberbrains" in CP2020, and probably not in CP2077.
You can replace basically any part of your body BUT the brain. Think Robocop.

In Dredd moive there is this substance which makes you feel the time is slowed down. There could be some non-prohibited substance (20 times stronger than coffee) in CP2077 which would make your brain think faster and make the space and time slowed down, from the player's view.

CP2020 has an adrenaline pump that increases your reflexes/perception. The world isn't slowed down you just "think" it is.

But even with that, unless you're from Kyrpton no one is faster then a speeding bullet.

In a sci-fi universe where body augmentations would be a thing, it would make sense to have something that improves your reflexes - perception speed and movement speed. Such a feature can be visually translated as slow motion. It would also feel cool. I wouldn't like to be able to abuse it though ('cause I definitely would).

Edit: However, if I would have a choice on how to visually translate such a feature, I'd pick Fallout's VATS system.

Last edited:
Cherokeedog;n9864351 said:
In a sci-fi universe where body augmentations would be a thing, it would make sense to have something that improves your reflexes - perception speed and movement speed.
Edit: However, if I would have a choice on how to visually translate such a feature, I'd pick Fallout's VATS system.

Suhiira;n9862361 said:
But even with that, unless you're from Kyrpton no one is faster then a speeding bullet.

It probably wouldn't be so realistic but it would be cool to have some dramatic slowdown moments like this in which player would be involved.

One of major issues with CDPR's gameplay design is lack of good skill ceiling, lack of risk/reward fine tuned to their mechanics.

In Witcher 1, you had that three click combo ( with Geralt going: HUNGH! HUNGH,HUNGH!! HUNGH,HUNGH, HUNGH!!! ) extremely simplistic and easy to use, and engaging... for about 2 minutes.
Witcher II: endless rolling back and forth.
Witcher III: heavy emphasis on evasion/movement, but without punishing or rewarding the player for precise timing of any action.

What you end up with: anemic, extremely repetitive gameplay , even if mechanics are actually ood ( perfect example of this is Nier Automata).

For slow mo it has to be integrated in a way that is more engaging than Press x at any given time ( for easy headshots).

RE VI has special attacks like this:

This is automatically executed without any player targetting.

I would go for something similar, player executed gun/melee combos but with slow mo+manual targetting that player has to execute precisely at the end of each animation, and within a brief time window ( or it breaks the whole sequence and cancels bullet time ).

Last edited:
Loostreaks;n10767371 said:
One of major issues with CDPR's gameplay design is lack of good skill ceiling, lack of risk/reward fine tuned to their mechanics.

In Witcher 1, you had that three click combo ( with Geralt going: HUNGH! HUNGH,HUNGH!! HUNGH,HUNGH, HUNGH!!! ) extremely simplistic and easy to use, and engaging... for about 2 minutes.
Witcher II: endless rolling back and forth.
Witcher III: heavy emphasis on evasion/movement, but without punishing or rewarding the player for precise timing of any action.

What you end up with: anemic, extremely repetitive gameplay , even if mechanics are actually ood ( perfect example of this is Nier Automata).

For slow mo it has to be integrated in a way that is more engaging than Press x at any given time ( for easy headshots).

RE VI has special attacks like this:

This is automatically executed without any player targetting.

I would go for something similar, player executed gun/melee combos but with slow mo+manual targetting that player has to execute precisely at the end of each animation, and within a brief time window ( or it breaks the whole sequence and cancels bullet time ).

Er... No thank you.

Top Bottom