Smart rifle hits and misses some shots -- Tyger Claws tattoo at play?

+
Here is my gameplay video showing that my smart sniper rifle sometimes misses shots totally, and sometimes hits them. When it misses, I assume the enemy has a Tyger Claws tattoo that blocks smart gun attacks (I have the tattoo from Wakako too). But then why does some of the hits land? My video shows that I miss a guy, then hit the SAME guy with damage. So does that guy have the tattoo or not? Or is there something about this mechanic that I don't get, or is this a bug?

Smart Ink/Smart Link is not a 100% chance to hit for the basic versions. Chance increases with higher rarity versions.

The smart link doesn't guarantee hits, it just increases the odds by "bending" the bullet trajectory when necessary. Some shots will miss. With practice, you can actually aim slightly off target and have the bullets hit a guy behind cover (assuming they're just at the edge of whatever they're hiding behind).

Smart Ink/Smart Link is not a 100% chance to hit for the basic versions. Chance increases with higher rarity versions.

The smart link doesn't guarantee hits, it just increases the odds by "bending" the bullet trajectory when necessary. Some shots will miss. With practice, you can actually aim slightly off target and have the bullets hit a guy behind cover (assuming they're just at the edge of whatever they're hiding behind).

What is the hit percentage of the basic version? I don't see it on the weapon's description. Shouldn't homing projectiles have greater hit chance than regular ones? Since you can't upgrade a weapon to rare and must loot a rare gun by chance, that makes some of these smart guns useless. And smart guns seem to have lower per-shot damage than regular guns of the same level too. A smart gun with high fire rate might be more useful than one with slower rate, since more projectiles yield more hits. But of course, no one would waste ammo just to bump up the hit rate.

Watched the video, I'm currently using the Legendary version of this smart sniper rifle - total beast and a lot of fun! Though it is "smart" also be mindful of that little red box on the enemy while aiming - you can "nudge" it around by moving the weapon and go for head shots. Devastating.

That first shot in your video is the most interesting; I didn't see the little red box at all. The other shots in the video (that miss) look like smart-weapon countermeasures to me. Hum...

Tygers specifically have anti smart link mods.

That explains my experience as well, I had an automatic smart rifle and when fighting tiger claws most of my bullets were actually missing them to the point that smart guns were useless and had to switch to a different gun. With other gangs the rifle actually worked fine.

Edit: the dermal implant that you got from Wakako and that Tyger Claws are using actually says that is jamming smart weapons:

Last edited:
What is the hit percentage of the basic version? I don't see it on the weapon's description. Shouldn't homing projectiles have greater hit chance than regular ones? Since you can't upgrade a weapon to rare and must loot a rare gun by chance, that makes some of these smart guns useless. And smart guns seem to have lower per-shot damage than regular guns of the same level too. A smart gun with high fire rate might be more useful than one with slower rate, since more projectiles yield more hits. But of course, no one would waste ammo just to bump up the hit rate.

Watched the vid, and I see what you mean. I have to laugh at myself because I totally missed the part about the Tyger tattoo's jamming capabilities. One thing to note however. If you fire straight and true at the Tyger Claws, the bullet will still hit. All the tattoo does is cancel out the guidance capability, so no "bending" shots. Another thing to keep in mind with smart weapons that can do auto fire: use short, controlled bursts of about 3 bullets. That way your bullets should hit anyone (except Tyger Claws) if your aim is anywhere close to the target. If you don't, the weapon recoil with throw off your shots. I use a smart auto pistol, and if I actually aim down the sight, the weapon switches to burst mode automatically, firing off the 3 round burst. I've yet to find a smart rifle (which is weird considering I'm on my second playthrough), so I'm not sure if this mechanic is in place for the smart rifles (although I can't see why it wouldn't be).

Top Bottom