Smooth 60fps for a while, then choppy, until exit-reload

+
With my Ryzen 5 5600X and RTX 3070 @ 2560x1440 and mostly GeForce Experience recommended settings, I get smooth 60fps drawing ~200-230W from the 3070. This can last anywhere from 20-30 minutes to just a few minutes. Then something happens, an incoming call, exit from vehicle after a longish ride, and the framerate starts getting choppy 40-55fps, and the 3070 now only draws ~160W, yet reports GPU load of 98-99%. Compared to 60fps it looks bad. If I then save - exit to menu, and reload the same save, I am back up to 60fps in the exact same location (for a while).

Note: I have to exit to menu, then load. If I just load without exiting to menu, it just gets progressively worse.

Any ideas for how this can be improved? Hoping future patches will fix the issue. Fortunately I have a fast SSD so exit - reload is pretty quick.

Edit1: at least in some cases, just Alt-TAB out, and back in, also gets the framerate back up. Not sure this always works.
Edit2: new Nvidia driver released and installed tonight. This also seems to have improved the issue, framerate stayed smooth for 2 hours afterwards.
Edit3: conclusion: new Nvidia driver completely resolved the problem for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom