So about these classes...

+
So about these classes...

Don't they seem a bit, well weird? Rockerboy?...oh man, I used to call myself at 14 when I first started listening to Dio and AC/DC. :p
But seriously, how do you think these will play out? Will a Cop actually have sort of a job/side activities related to it's class? Seems like it would require a massive amount of effort on creating this in an open world.

Another topic we discussed about 2-3 years ago. :p

My guess is they'll have to rename and maybe repurpose some of the classes. 'Rocker Boy' just isn't going to fly nowadays. In regard to how classes affect player relationship to the world, I know they can only take this so far, but I hope they make the effort. Like something similar to DA:O and how certain characters will react to your class. I keep bringing that game up as an example here, but I think it's fitting in many ways. Maybe if you're a cop, getting away with aberrant behavior will be harder. Or if you're a techie, you get access to black market goods easier. There are limitless ways they can use this for gameplay, not to mention narrative.

If the current versions of D&D are any example there are people out there that love classes, the more the better!
I suspect it's a case of using "class" to define "character".

Another topic we discussed about 2-3 years ago. :p

My guess is they'll have to rename and maybe repurpose some of the classes. 'Rocker Boy' just isn't going to fly nowadays.

Well, for as much as rock isn't as popular or in a period or real evolution... it sure has and will stand a lot more the test of time than... Dubstep-dudebro or whatever the kids like these days. It's more timeless and in general gets rebellion aspect across lot better.

Don't they seem a bit, well weird? Rockerboy?...oh man, I used to call myself at 14 when I first started listening to Dio and AC/DC. :p
But seriously, how do you think these will play out? Will a Cop actually have sort of a job/side activities related to it's class? Seems like it would require a massive amount of effort on creating this in an open world.
Preeeetty sure they said they were going to rework some of the classes. I specifically remember them saying they weren't going to adapt 2020 ruleset/skills exactly. Plus since it's 2077 expect to see a lot of their own ideas and gameplay systems incorporated.

Forum veteran
I like to imagine that playing a Rockerboy will involve whipping out an electric guitar, then having ferocious fans fling themselves out of nearby windows to fight the power and attack enemies on your behalf like a mix between an Insane Clown Posse concert and World War Z.

Probably won't happen, but it's a fun mental image.

Well, for as much as rock isn't as popular or in a period or real evolution... it sure has and will stand a lot more the test of time than... Dubstep-dudebro or whatever the kids like these days. It's more timeless and in general gets rebellion aspect across lot better.

Talking about the class name specifically, as well as the titles for others things. they frankly sound outdated or a bit silly.

The most interesting thing I see here, is being able to "live your role", more immersively than it's done in other rpg's, if I'm reading this right. Which could be crazy popular for a lot of people...TES and GTA are above all else, great means of escapism.
Bethesda has something similar with guilds, but it's done in a very rudimentary fashion.
They could also make it contribute to your play style...high ranking cop could call in reinforcements or setup road blocks when in pursuit.
But this also seems an invite for "radiant activities", at least after some point.

Don't be surprised if some classes are replaced or removed.
Or at least altered.
The CP2020 Special Ability for Solos is FAR more "powerful" then those of the other roles, and in a couple cases the role ability is lackluster at best. Then there's the problem of how the heck do you translate say the Nomad ability "Family" into a PC/console game?

Last edited:

Forum veteran
Also not very cyberpunk.

Unless it's raining at the time. Then we're good.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Merch tables on fire off the shoulder of the road. I watched Juggalos glitter in the mosh pit near the stage. All those moments will be lost in time, like non-waterproof face paint...in...rain."

Last edited:
I can kind of understand the reasoning, solos are supposed to be the best at combat and not that good at other things, however I imagine most campaigns are pretty combat heavy.

I can kind of understand the reasoning, solos are supposed to be the best at combat and not that good at other things, however I imagine most campaigns are pretty combat heavy.

Only if the Ref doesn't know the combat rules very well. Or prefers not to enforce them in all their thoroughness.

If he or she does, then you get bleeding rules, limb loss rules, forced and automatic death saves, cheap AP rounds, armour ablation, armour layering, minimum damage rules, stun/shock saves from a variety of sources, crazy long healing times, etc.

A battery of relatively simple but punishing "truths" about combat that ensures parties stay away from it. You only get to lose one gunfight in Cyberpunk, as the corebook says. Not always accurate, but accurate enough.

Classes are great as a starting point for newcomers or just to get a fast glimpse of the mood of the game, but in the long run they might seem a bit constrained.

I only use them as guidelines, maybe as a reference of the character background, but not as a strict measure of what will become as the game progresses.

Being a Rockery doesn't mean by default that you're a guitar hero, it could imply only a career in the entertainment world. Certainly when you put names to the concepts or classes we tend to focus on the exact meaning of the word. All in all it's just a matter of gamers perceptions, but for sure we could use better namings or more in game customizations options to try and brake the stereotype mold.

A battery of relatively simple but punishing "truths" about combat that ensures parties stay away from it. You only get to lose one gunfight in Cyberpunk, as the corebook says. Not always accurate, but accurate enough.
And that is something I hope - but don't expect - to see in CP2077.

We all know it's going to be much more combat heavy then any reasonable CP2020 PnP game ever was however ...

Being a Rockery doesn't mean by default that you're a guitar hero, it could imply only a career in the entertainment world. Certainly when you put names to the concepts or classes we tend to focus on the exact meaning of the word.
That's what I was trying to point out elsewhere. So many people view classes/roles as a set of hard constraints you have to stay within. While this is true in some games, because their classes are designed with narrow and exclusive skill sets this doesn't apply in Cyberpunk. Each role has one, and only one, role exclusive skill.

There's no reason your Rockerboy can't have an REF (reflex stat) 10, wired reflexes +3, a Handgun skill of 10, use a quality +2 weapon with a Smartgun link and be BETTER at shooting then the majority of Solo's.

Last edited:
And that something I hope - but don't expect - to see in CP2077.

We all know it's going to be much more combat heavy then any reasonable CP2020 PnP game ever was however ...

Hopefully not.

Combat isn't the only means of conflict that can be entertaining in a video game.

Top Bottom