So about those character cards and how they should be. [Book and Game Series Spoilers]

+
So about those character cards and how they should be. [Book and Game Series Spoilers]

I've been wanting to do this thread for a while but we didn't know what Gaunter does exactly until yesterday ,, feel free to give your own ideas about these cards.
===============
[h=1]Regis[/h]

Regis is a powerful Higher Vampire ,,IMO his card should be a hero that changes form after the end of each round. so the first round he'd be 4 strength ordinary human-like form then in the second round he changes into higher vampire form (8 strength) and the last round he'll become the big bat vampire form (12 strength) .

you might say it's OP but in total it's just 24 strength and cdpr could nerf it a little although I don't think there's anything wrong unless we compare it to Zoltan:The Brawler who should be 7 strength instead of the current 6 strength he has.

===============
[h=1]Schirrú[/h]

[h=1]this card is fine but the ability should be in Skellige since they benefit from self-scorch for the empower-revenge units like Madman Lugos and An Craite Warriors ,, therefore I think the ability for Schirru should be: regular Scorch that can be reused since Scoiatael have low numbers anyway and it's unlikely that their units would be protecting your opponent from Scorch .. so I think that's a win-win situation for both factions.[/h]======================
[h=1]Odrin[/h]

i understand that this is more of a fun card but that's if it was neutral ,, it's Northern Realms' equivalent of Skellige's Draig Bon-Dho and Scoiatael's Morenn ,, a character with the +2 to every one on its row (encourage effect) and it's not as valuable nor as reliable as these two ,, heck it's not even better than regular encourage troops despite having 2 more strength points it negates that by being totally unreliable

the way to fix this card is not by simply buffing its strength but rather giving it a better effect that makes it worth the risk of having it change its row so : a +4 to every unit on its row sounds reasonable.

==============
[h=1][/h] [h=1]Gaunter O'Dimm[/h]
[h=1]
[/h]
spawns 3 shadows (similar to W3 ones) except that they only have vanilla 2 strength and are split into ranged (2 units) and melee (1 unit) ,, Gaunter should be a hero with very interesting effects since he can stop time instead of a boring and seemingly useless summon effect ,, the possibilities are endless with what many consider the undisputed most powerful figure in the Witcher universe but an example would be: when played skips the player's next turn without making you pass the round .

===========================
[h=1]Nenneke[/h]

this card seems ok but when you look at Skellige's counterpart (Sigfrida) it seems somewhat lacking ,, considering how skilled of a healer Nenneke is I was surprisedto see Shani as the hero medic for NR ,, but anyway I think this card should have some interesting ability other than 4 strength ,, a single-use double medic since Northern Realms relies on bonded abilities and these bonded cards are the easiest cards to scorch ,, I think that would make it both more fitting and as important for NR decks as Sigfrida is for Skellige.

============================
[h=1]Vesemir (Eskel,Lambert)[/h]

Vesemir is one of 3 (8 strength ) regular muster cards alongside Eskel and Lambert .

I'd really prefer that they use other witchers for this kind of muster and the perfect pick would be Witchers from the school of the cat since they strayed from their path and became hired assassins ,, our dear witchers from the school of the wolf should have unique abilities for each one of them that fits their characters and I would make them heroes too since they deserve the hero tag much more than the likes of Bloody Baron and you can easily make them heroes with interesting abilities but I'd settle for unique characters .

=================

[h=1][/h]
[h=1][/h] [h=1]Vabjorn and Olaf[/h]

I really don't see a connection between these two characters other than the possibility of Vabjorn changing form and becoming a bear like Olaf since he's a berserker ,, what buggs me even more is that they have a very interesting ability icon yet they're a regular muster ,, why would I want to take the two of them really unless they have some interesting ability that can be triggered via Mushroom for example or having a muster from the graveyard since they are bad scorch targets a regular muster is very impractical for just 2 cards .. I really hope cdpr changes them into an interesting combo or make them standalone and each of them have their own transformation or anyhting that's interesting because Vabjorn looks like a unique berserker and Olaf was much better in W3 but he should be nerfed but not like this.

I agree on mostly everything you wrote. These cards deserve the tweaks you mentioned, almost as much as Vernon Roche, who doesn't even have an effect :O
Regis should, if he had your suggested effect, not be a hero. The development with the total strength of 24 is perfect, since you need to play him in the first round for maximum use. I think he also needs the potential risk to get scorched, then again you can buff him... Ok I'm unsure about that.^^

Last edited:
Good thread.

It's not uncommon for fans to just want the best flavour for the lore they love. I see this a lot in Hearthstone - where some cards are based on powerful figures, but they don't have fitting stats for the power that character wields in another game. There’s also a lot of criticism that a character’s card doesn’t represent what they can do in another game. I think the card Anub’arak is a good example of both issues. I think it’s a fair thing to comment on, but it’s not battle that can be won, nor is it worth fighting.

My comments:
Odrin – I’ve seen the argument that he’s not good enough for the random nature of his skill. Gwent isn’t going to be about RNG, and there’s not enough reward in the risk of playing Odrin.

The Witchers – Flavourwise it is a bit strange to see Vesemir a character and Shani or Bloody Baron a hero, but I think it’s fine. In W3, Vesemir was equal to any vanilla 6 so I consider this a worthy promotion.

Mechanical stuff like Odrin can be looked at and adjusted in the Beta, but flavor stuff like Vesemir probably won’t change. Getting the game balanced and ready is likely a higher priority than flavour (but who am I to say!) The Witchers are good, anyway!

Good thread.

It's not uncommon for fans to just want the best flavour for the lore they love. I see this a lot in Hearthstone - where some cards are based on powerful figures, but they don't have fitting stats for the power that character wields in another game. There’s also a lot of criticism that a character’s card doesn’t represent what they can do in another game. I think the card Anub’arak is a good example of both issues. I think it’s a fair thing to comment on, but it’s not battle that can be won, nor is it worth fighting.

My comments:
Odrin – I’ve seen the argument that he’s not good enough for the random nature of his skill. Gwent isn’t going to be about RNG, and there’s not enough reward in the risk of playing Odrin.

The Witchers – Flavourwise it is a bit strange to see Vesemir a character and Shani or Bloody Baron a hero, but I think it’s fine. In W3, Vesemir was equal to any vanilla 6 so I consider this a worthy promotion.

Mechanical stuff like Odrin can be looked at and adjusted in the Beta, but flavor stuff like Vesemir probably won’t change. Getting the game balanced and ready is likely a higher priority than flavour (but who am I to say!) The Witchers are good, anyway!

you've got a point but it's still very early in development so if we have a chance at this it's now ,, during and after the beta the forums will be flooded and threads like this will mostly be overlooked by the devs.

Vernon Roche could very get more cards with : in them, like Geralt:Swordmaster and Geralt:Igni?

I hope so, but to quote from A Round of Gwent: "It's still possible that only heroes with the "Name:subname" pattern have multiple cards. That could just have been a reworked Coral but with alt art/changed art"

you've got a point but it's still very early in development so if we have a chance at this it's now ,, during and after the beta the forums will be flooded and threads like this will mostly be overlooked by the devs.

Don't assume devs or anyone on the Gwent team overlook threads because they aren't addressed. That attitude breeds bitterness - everyone wants this game to be GREAT. Given the size of the community at this point, anyone who looks at these forums even once a day should see everything. Community leads post on these forums (I see you, Kristine!) There's just no reason to think things written here is not seen. Reddit maybe, but not here.

So now is a great time to be heard! :D

We cannot really say at this point or something is OP or not because we did not played game yet.
Some things may look OP if you compare to the original gwent in Wild Hunt. But this is completely different game now.

But from these cards you presented, I would say:

* Nenneke (I also expected bit more, simply because she is the best healer in the books - And looks like healer student Shani have a better card. Why? Don't know)

* I disagree with opinion that Witchers from the school of the cat should work together because like you said, they assassins and they not working with others witchers. Vesemir Eskel and Lambert on other hand working together and muster have completely sense.

We cannot really say at this point or something is OP or not because we did not played game yet.
Some things may look OP if you compare to the original gwent in Wild Hunt. But this is completely different game now.

But from these cards you presented, I would say:

* Nenneke (I also expected bit more, simply because she is the best healer in the books - And looks like healer student Shani have a better card. Why? Don't know)

* I disagree with opinion that Witchers from the school of the cat should work together because like you said, they assassins and they not working with others witchers. Vesemir Eskel and Lambert on other hand working together and muster have completely sense.

there are witchers that do work together other than the school of the wolf ones (although I can't see Vesamir and Lambert working together as a team) ,, remember the two witchers Geralt killed in W2 in defense of the fat Henselt ?

also about Nenneke I think they should limit the double medic to cards of the same name so it can work with bond or muster cards only and not pulling 2 spies for example.

there are witchers that do work together other than the school of the wolf ones (although I can't see Vesamir and Lambert working together as a team) ,, remember the two witchers Geralt killed in W2 in defense of the fat Henselt ?
Yes. I remember. They was working with Letho. Maybe Letho get card to spawn these two witchers.

Why Vesemir can't not working with Lambert? They both living in Kaern Morhen on winter time. In the book, they was working together teaching Ciri, in the game the was working together defending Kaer Morhen.

We are watching and reading :)

The development team are doing a lot of work on game balance at the moment so you can expect changes to the cards you've seen previously.

For example Regis is a hero in our current development version ;) Vernon Roche also has an ability :)

The development team are doing a lot of work on game balance at the moment so you can expect changes to the cards you've seen previously.

For example Regis is a hero in our current development version ;) Vernon Roche also has an ability :)

Any word on O'diim? I wa gonna give him the benefit of the doubt till we saw Shadows, but we have now and they are just 2 strenth with no effect. Seems kinda lackluster for him.

Any word on O'diim? I wa gonna give him the benefit of the doubt till we saw Shadows, but we have now and they are just 2 strenth with no effect. Seems kinda lackluster for him.

He still spawns shadows but the shadows will not only be a pure value. I can't say more beyond that at this time though :)

He still spawns shadows but the shadows will not only be a pure value. I can't say more beyond that at this time though :)

Have you ever considered giving spies counterintelligence abilities . for example if you play your spy on your own board it protects against opponent spies as long as its value is equal or greater . That way at least spies values would be useful somehow

OH MY GOD! WHAT A GREAT NEWS! As always, CDP never fails the fans :) We must trust you even more now! :)

Good to hear Regis is going to be a hero. I hope he gets a significant boost in power. He was my favorite character in Blood and Wine.

Disappointed that o'dimm is still casting those boring shadows. What are those shadows anyway? To me they make no sense( lore-wise). imo o'dimm should get aglais ability (spawn and play a special card of your choice). That would fit the character. It would be like he is granting you any wish you desire. Saving you from any situation you might find yourself at that moment and give you the upper hand in the battle.

Top Bottom