So after E3... is The Witcher 3 really a PC game ?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well TW2 was clearly made with controller in mind... so I'm a bit sceptic.

View attachment 4096

Attachments

• quickmenu_thumb.jpg
    quickmenu_thumb.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 47
Well TW2 was clearly made with controller in mind... so I'm a bit sceptic.

TW2 was also developed during the time CDP was undergoing some financial difficulties. This is not the case this time around. They admitted their mistake a long time ago and promised PC gamers will be getting the UI they deserve.

I'm leaving this here, for Kinley.
You know who it is. :p

Don't you even...

Well we just won't know how it controls until release. Or until a journalist is handed a M&KB (which probably never happen, most demos nowadays are presented using controllers).

Nonetheless, it's too early to judge. All the demos were played with a controller, so of course the UI looks and controls the way it does. I just hope CDPR will keep their promise and that PC gamers get their own UI.
Well, it would be a start if CDPR told us that they had started to design the very basic gameplay and controls with M+K ind mind and not with gamepads in mind...

I want some M+K gameplay at Gamescom! Otherwise I can't sleep well for months... :p

View attachment 4097

Attachments

• make-it-so-captain2.jpg
    make-it-so-captain2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 40
I wouldn't be surprised if the menus are all the same.

The little snippets we've seen don't show anything that standout as bad KB+M design. They can use those same UIs, the important thing is making them fully interactive with the KB+M, which is where most of these "controller" games fail. Things like drag+drop, mouse wheel+pgup/dn for quickly scrolling lists, hover highlighting, right click for quick actions, and making each menu pane something that I can resize, drag, close individully, ect

Of course combat is a whole different thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if the menus are all the same.

The little snippets we've seen don't show anything that standout as bad KB+M design. They can use those same UIs, the important thing is making them fully interactive with the KB+M, which is where most of these "controller" games fail. Things like drag+drop, mouse wheel+pgup/dn for quickly scrolling lists, hover highlighting, right click for quick actions, and making each menu pane something that I can resize, drag, close individully, ect

Of course combat is a whole different thing.
At least the inventory seems pattern and not list based. That's a good sign... ;)

A very good PC UI and HUD should be customizable though. That almost never happens with console games. And in console games every button has to be BIG to be able to reach it with your unprecicise gamepad sticks... :p

View attachment 4098

Attachments

• witcher3h264-1920x1080mp4snapshot001420140615220133.jpg
    witcher3h264-1920x1080mp4snapshot001420140615220133.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
...question is in the title... what about it ? was it all X1 exclusive ? no mouse and keybord footage... what about the UI ? what about us pc gamers ?

cheers

I'll play this game on PC, like I did the two before it, and like I did in TW2, I'll be using the Xbox controller. I don't understand your question.

I think a sword should take up more space than the C.

I fully agree. Imo Geralt shouldn't even be able to carry around additional swords or armour, just small things (but then again there will be other, less "hardcore" gamers who want to carry around as much as possible like in TES so it's just my opinion). ;)

Patterns are at least better for mouse control in general than a list from a controls' and UI's standpoint.

Jupiter_on_Mars

I think a sword should take up more space than the C.

The inventory will hold 32 swords.
32 swords, not counting the rest of the stuff,
That's not an inventory. It's an oil tanker. You don't really need to manage it, as it will take whatever you decide to hoard. You also don't need your horse to carry anything, as your inventory will do just fine.

I do hope Kingdom Come Deliverance will show everyone how it's done.

That's not an inventory. It's an oil tanker. You don't really need to manage it, as it will take whatever you decide to hoard. You also don't need your horse to carry anything, as your inventory will do just fine.

From what i remembered TW2 you could carry a lot of swords.

From what i remembered TW2 you could carry a lot of swords.
And how is that an argument? ;)

You don't need to wait for Kingdom Come, TW1 already had the perfect inventory system.
Much better than TW2, that's right. No additional swords or armour in the inventory, just small items IIRC. Only the big sword (right below Geralt) was a stupid decision. Two swords and a knife should be enough.

View attachment 4108

Attachments

• the-witcher-enchanced-edition-directors-cut-inventory.jpg
    the-witcher-enchanced-edition-directors-cut-inventory.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

IsengrimR

That post combined with my first impression about the title of this thread, makes me want to go, get laid, then sit, take a dump, just to get shot by a dwarf with a crossbow.

Let's the questioning time begin:
a.) what's wrong with the UI presented at E3. Thow out consolefullyness of the buttons, but the the menus look OK, though we have little idea about how many keybinds there will be to help us run through them, inventory space looks fine.

b.) Speaking of inventory space... Oh my. "Oil tanker", ah ok. Well, it's certainly not Witcher 1 " I can carry one extra sword" style. I assume it's a bit too big. But carrying few swords wouldn't be the end of the world.

Also, am I the only one alive that is not hyped or gives a twopenny fuck about Kingdom CD? Because if I am, I will start dropping barrles and hammering people down to even the chances.

Last edited:

Better than carrying only 3 swords like in the first game
in real I don't know if it's better, for sure they need to make a limit, like of 6~8 swords and the horse hold tons more

also, it's a bit boring and an almost useless work to the red team to do one UI for console and one for computer, I would prefer that, but remember that they have only 8 months and more important things to be worried

Last edited:
also, it's a bit boring and an almost useless work to the red team to do one UI for console and one for computer, I would prefer that, but remember that they have only 8 months and more important things to be worried
I disagree. There is nothing more important than making a proper PC version imo.

Jupiter_on_Mars

That post combined with my first impression about the title of this thread, makes me want to go, get laid, then sit, take a dump, just to get shot by a dwarf with a crossbow.

Let's the questioning time begin:
a.) what's wrong with the UI presented at E3. Thow out consolefullyness of the buttons, but the the menus look OK, though we have little idea about how many keybinds there will be to help us run through them, inventory space looks fine.

b.) Speaking of inventory space... Oh my. "Oil tanker", ah ok. Well, it's certainly not Witcher 1 " I can carry one extra sword" style. I assume it's a bit too big. But carrying few swords wouldn't be the end of the world.

Also, am I the only one alive that is not hyped or gives a twopenny fuck about Kingdom CD? Because if I am, I will start dropping barrles and hammering people down to even the chances.

Better than carrying only 3 swords like in the first game
in real I don't know if it's better, for sure they need to make a limit, like of 6~8 swords and the horse hold tons more

Thanks.
If the post has made someone «want to get laid», then it's already been beneficial.

Why would the Witcher even want to carry 6 or 7 swords with him? Would he even be able to take one step if he did carry 6 or 7 swords around? What's wrong with him just carrying his top 2 swords, and additional minor weapons?

This madness has got to stop. Lore is sacrosanct, but common sense isn't? 32 swords, for goodness sake. Choosing which gear to carry is an inextricable part of your job as the player. Tactics, that's what it is. You make choices and you deal with consequences. The boundless inventory is a cop out that hurts RPGs like few design decisions do. What's the point of having a horse inventory then? You really want to carry 64 swords on top of those 32? It's an incentive to mindless hoarding, that's what it is.

Discussion of the UI is happening here: TW3 UI aesthetics.

Last edited:
I disagree. There is nothing more important than making a proper PC version imo.

Proper? I guess CDPR have ALREADY the PC version in their studio carefully guarded and checked, and they've put on the suitcase the plataforms versions for the holy sake of newcomer gamers to the Witcher series... :p (no offense, I'm a good child)

Proper? I guess CDPR have ALREADY the PC version in their studio carefully guarded and checked, and they've put on the suitcase the plataforms versions for the holy sake of newcomer gamers to the Witcher series... :p (no offense, I'm a good child)
Hm, I fear you misinterpreted my post. It was an answer to another post and not a statement in itself suggesting that CDPR wouldn't care about the PC version... ;)

Apart from that the UI of TW2 was imo made "with a controller in mind".

Hm, I fear you misinterpreted my post. It was an answer to another post and not a statement in itself suggesting that CDPR wouldn't care about the PC version... ;)

Apart from that the UI of TW2 was imo made "with a controller in mind".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom