So are you forever doomed to never be able to do "Flesh for Sale" if you've begun Following the Thread?

+
So are you forever doomed to never be able to do "Flesh for Sale" if you've begun Following the Thread?

When Following the Thread is active, if you go to Trottheim in Farore the bands become aggressive and you're unable to begin Flesh for Sale.

Is this intentional? I can't be. I don't understand how a quest becomes locked out in a zone you're going to discover AFTER Novigrad and thus Following the Thread for a majority of players.

Anyone have any input on this?

Guest 3841733

These kinds of problems exists with a good number of quests. It's a poor quest system design by CD Projekt Red. Very unfortunate.

Another bad design found in the game is, there is a main quest that recommends level 16. After you finish the level 16 recommended main quest, then the next main quest level becomes level 13. It went from level 16 to 13. There was another quest that did that too. Very very very bad design :(

Confirmed. I had 'Following the Thread' and had to kill them all and no chance to get the key as the re was no key drop (or Leader?)

I returned a long time after and the pirates had respawned but there was no leader and no key drops. Prison was empty both times.

This on top of the fast travel bug from Trottheim although at least that is fixed now in 1.07.

Honestly there have not bee that many quests really not able to do like this and given just how many there are in the game not being able to do a handful is no problem for me.
I'll remember for the next play through and hopefully a fix will go in some time;

They could actually change the trigger in way that you need to talk to Crach first before going to Faroe Island or something to continue the "Following the Thread" quest.
But I'm not a game dev and I don't know what else might break if they do something like that.

Unfortunately it overrides the triggers for "Flesh for Sale" quest, you can do this first then do "Following the thread" after.
If you start the latter first then you can't start it anymore unless patched/fixed by the devs.

What if you bypass Trottheim and complete Following the Thread before returning to an "untouched" Trottheim? Or is the trigger overwritten regardless?
The first time I cleared the village on the way and didn't see the Flesh for Sale quest... the second I left Lambert waiting and cleared Flesh for Sale first, then completed "Following the Thread", though it felt "not something I'd do" in role.
Wondered what would happen done "the third way".

here on my quest to complete all quests i run into yet another bug in this flawed system...wait is there even a way to get to skeilege without starting following the thread? Because I just went back and unactivated "following the thread" and went over there and it still didnt start this side quest...Now im having to try to go back and find a save point even further from last night and erase hours of gameplay...hopefully I can even find one..I should really just be done being a completionist in a game with this many flaws in their design...what a headache its become. This kind of work i'd expect maybe from an amateur indie game designer. Just wouldnt be such a beautiful looking game...but beauty can be over ridden with bugs and game design flaws that frustrate the very paying customers.

Last edited:
here on my quest to complete all quests i run into yet another bug in this flawed system...
As of patch 1.07, you hardly will complete your task. Reasons of State will fail anyway.

What if you bypass Trottheim and complete Following the Thread before returning to an "untouched" Trottheim? Or is the trigger overwritten regardless?
The first time I cleared the village on the way and didn't see the Flesh for Sale quest... the second I left Lambert waiting and cleared Flesh for Sale first, then completed "Following the Thread", though it felt "not something I'd do" in role.

I've only tested that the "Flesh for Sale" will activate as long as you don't do anything concerning "Following the Thread" quest.
I also tried finishing the former quest before going to the last altar and kill the people there which triggered the latter quest.

It's still a bugged quest like "The Price of Honor" quest which is also available on the island in which you can't open the chest where the dowry is.
Patch 1.07 fixed a lot but it also broke some.

As of patch 1.07, you hardly will complete your task. Reasons of State will fail anyway.

and what might I ask is the reason this "reasons of State" quest is bugged? ally NPC's 1 hit getting killed glitch? the horrible quest activation/indication system? some other unstated flaw in the system? Oh bother...think i've lost all faith in this development team.

I started Following the Thread before going to Skellige (like most I guess), however I have not been to Faroe yet. Are you saying in the bolded above, that when I go there, if I go to this "Trottheim" first, I will get this quest?

Not really. I think I *had* Following the Thread in my questlog but I was still in the first (Novigrad) segment, and hadn't followed up on the lead/notice.

I went to Faroe and took/completed Flesh for Sale, then returned to Novigrad and completed the Novigrad (1), Skellige and Novigrad (2) segments of Following the Thread.

I was vaguely speculating that if you avoided going anywhere near Trottheim during Following the Thread
(i.e. Landing elsewhere and heading directly to the Eastern Shrine on the hill "as if by some premonition")
and returning to Novigrad to clear "Following the Thread", whether "Flesh for Sale" would still trigger in Trottheim later? Not tried it, but I do know that they cannot both be active in Skellige at the same time. (Perhaps only "returning to Novigrad" would be sufficient to reset the Skellige spawn, so long as the slave trade hadn't been broken in Trottheim by killing/alerting everyone there, without having to finish up?).

Make a save, and experiment... I'm too far along to do so this playthrough now.

I missed this quest too. It's a very bad quest design, I have to say.

It is great design.

It would be terrible design if this type of thing were the only way to get quests in the game, but its not. Stuff like the random pickup quests, the random mini-quests that dont even show up in the log, the places where the is no marker on the map but there is a bandit camp there anyway, etc are all added on top of what is already an extensive list of main and sub quests that are all handed to you and tracked for you.

Most games do all the handholding and tracking for you, and thats it. There is nothing to "find".

in this game, there are actually things to find. Its good design, of a type that hasnt been seen since the early 32bit console days.

I have also been having trouble with this, never went to Faroe (nor Skellige) before the "Following the Thread" quest.

I am wondering if using console commands to eliminate hostility could be a workaround for PC; however I haven't been able to locate commands to turn the hostility flag on/off. Hopefully CDPR will fix this eventually.

It is great design.

It would be terrible design if this type of thing were the only way to get quests in the game, but its not. Stuff like the random pickup quests, the random mini-quests that dont even show up in the log, the places where the is no marker on the map but there is a bandit camp there anyway, etc are all added on top of what is already an extensive list of main and sub quests that are all handed to you and tracked for you.

Most games do all the handholding and tracking for you, and thats it. There is nothing to "find".

in this game, there are actually things to find. Its good design, of a type that hasnt been seen since the early 32bit console days.

no its a terribly flawed design when you can deactivate a mission you dont know anything about by doing a mission thats in your mission queue already...thus losing out on completing all quests...a huge flaw in how quests are handed out...no notice that doing this will deactivate a future mission for good? seriously....and you try to justify that...LOL@that...dont even try it..there are plenty of completionists out there that dont want to have to do 2-3 playthroughs on 100-200 hour games because of finding out hours later they cant get everything done in 1 playthrough because of poorly designed game mechanics. Enough said....your opinion is wrong for the masses.

lol, go play COD if you just wanna check off the list. There is no exploration or choice or anything other than "do what the game tells you right now or fail".

Sounds more like your speed.

My opinion is generally wrong for the masses, because the masses are idiots.

lol, go play COD if you just wanna check off the list. There is no exploration or choice or anything other than "do what the game tells you right now or fail".

Sounds more like your speed.

My opinion is generally wrong for the masses, because the masses are idiots.

you assuming every completionist just likes cod and generalizing the masses as "idiots" just makes you look like an ignorant fool...i'd suggest you just keep comments like those to yourself from here on out so you dont come across as more of a tool then you have already. Thanks. Nice job though side stepping every valid point I made on deactivating future side quests people have no knowledge of without notice then telling me i'd prefer cod because it seems "more my speed"...real mature kid.

Last edited:
The first message I posted in this thread addresses your points.

What you want is a rote list of objectives to check off and get your achievements.

This is not that.

Top Bottom