So Badowski responded to Schreier

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me this just reads as cheap excuses.

Also apparently they refused to give an interview or comment on his article before he published it, but now they come forward to cherry pick from it? On twitter too where decent discussions aren't even remotely possible.
Cheap PR move...

Oh my, how the giants have fallen.

And fallen hard.

As Branch just said, it's been posted a while ago but I personally don't think he just decided to post that.

My best guest is that Schreier gave them a chance to answer by providing the article and this answer was typed and approved during that time.

I doubt Adam is stupid enough to take it upon itself to answer without first consulting the right people in the middle of the company's biggest crisis.
yeah they don't need extra damage control on top of the damage control needed.

Adam is not right, though. 9/10 and 10/10 are ratings too far from reality. He is also denying the missing features/content and literally confirming their incompetence that way by stating that this was the intended state of the game.

There is no win-win situation here and that must be understood clearly. If you admit that the game was rushed stick to that and that's it. You can't say that the game was rushed in one video and then in the next post to say "ah yeah there's no missing features".

The thing is tho. There have been plenty of similar articles out there like this one. Why didn't they feel the need to comment on those.
Jason's name is becoming prominent in the game journalist industry, and CDPR knows that his article would have a bigger effect than the rest of the clickbait outputs. And the response was done 6 hours ago.

I took a stab that people could do the math from; if it's 3am in Poland now, Adam was at home a few hours ago when it was posted. I'm going to go back and edit that for clarity.

There may have been similar, but this one got the most traction, and has been copied and referenced in numerous other sources. Since it also attacks Adam, I'm not surprised that Adam would feel the need to put out a response to defend himself and team. That's why this got responded too, over a weekend, late in the evening.

Cheap PR move...

And fallen hard.
I wouldn't say fallen. I would say falling or free fall. The game is still open to be worked on for the foreseeable future. Meaning they have a chance to turn this game into an amazing project. They could pull a DICE like they did with Battlefront 2 and turn the game into a labor of love after the loot box debacle.

As Branch just said, it's been posted a while ago but I personally don't think he just decided to post that.

My best guest is that Schreier gave them a chance to answer by providing the article and this answer was typed and approved during that time.

I doubt Adam is stupid enough to take it upon itself to answer without first consulting the right people in the middle of the company's biggest crisis.

I'm also going to go back and edit that as well - because I wasn't implying Adam responded in a vacuum - just that he was home.

I wouldn't say fallen. I would say falling or free fall. The game is still open to be worked on for the foreseeable future. Meaning they have a chance to turn this game into an amazing project. They could pull a DICE like they did with Battlefront 2 and turn the game into a labor of love after the loot box debacle.

The problem is the scope of the issues.

The only comparable turn arounds that I can think of are NMS and FF14.

"The Vision we Presented in this Demo evolved into something that got multiple 9/10s and 10/10s"

Woah, sounds like a Cheap Excuse to Half Ass a Game. Plus of course it did, it's the Start of the Sales and when you tried so hard to keep everyone from showing off any footage before release, doesn't really take that much effort to get high ratings when you try to control viewing of the game. Not as surprised though, The Sales Screams "This game is Great, It Sold Millions!!" but the Devs inside seem to beg a differ. Ex or Not, those that do try to come out even during Development seem to agree, this Game Sucked. Definitely did not meet much if any of their Standards and seem to really Wish they could've had more time to do it Better.
Hell by the look of it, it wasn't even a Game by the time they announced a day straight up to Release, they barely had any general idea what to do and just Winged it all the way. Slapping anything and everything together by the deadline to make Some sort of a Game.

The fact that so called "journalists" have been writing fake articles based on a debunked reddit post claiming to be a dev, then also now state that "the demo is fake", makes the entire team peeved, not just the lead dev. This is especially true when you can clearly see segments from the vertical slice have made it directly in to release. These are also the same types of people who launded and pushed a placebo "tweak" at release, with no effort made to verify its veracity.

CPDR are being used as clickbait.
But this specific journalist we are talking about it known for his credibility.
And the only things made it into the game are strictly scripted events. The demo gave the impression that these mechanics will be dynamic and consistent in the game. Instead we just got a carbon copy of the scripted quest from the demo while later on this aspects are noticeably neglected.

Anyways, this particular case is definitely not just a clickbait. And also triggered a very poor response from them.

Adam is not right, though. 9/10 and 10/10 are ratings too far from reality. He is also denying the missing features/content and literally confirming their incompetence that way by stating that this was the intended state of the game.

There is no win-win situation here and that must be understood clearly. If you admit that the game was rushed stick to that and that's it. You can't say that the game was rushed in one video and then in the next post to say "ah yeah there's no missing features".
Agreed there is no win win. Reviews and scores are really subjective from person to person and should not ever be valued. Especially from media outlets. But he is right about the idea of cut features as a whole. That is apart of game development. Features, experiences, ideas come and go, but that doesn't excuse the lack of transparency over them.
Post automatically merged:

The problem is the scope of the issues.

The only comparable turn arounds that I can think of are NMS and FF14.
Battlefront 2 in my opinion had a much bigger or as big of a redemption story as No mans sky. And I do think that CDPR has the chance to pull it off. They just need to pull it off.

Well honestly, I can truly feel for the leadership at CDPR. I'm in NO WAY apologizing for them, just putting it out there like I see it.

They delayed (Apr to Sep) then delayed again (Sep to Nov) then said it went GOLD and the PR person (their name illudes me now) responded with the 'guarantee' it was going to be released literally a day before they announced that it was being delayed again (Nov to Dec). It was when THAT delay was announced that CDPR's stock started to tank.

Now, can you imagine what would have happened if hey had delayed again? Their stock would have nosedived by the following week, right before the beginning of the holiday season in the states. Fully 1/3 of their pre-orders would have been cancelled too.

I believe they were in a no-win situation and they decided to go with the WORST of their options...they chased the money. They have now lost more money, name is being dragged through the sewers AND they still lost about a 1/3 of their sales.

If they had only listened to Misty...she knew, she always knew...

Cheap PR move...

And fallen hard.
Yep, gotta be one of the biggest falls from grace in the history of the industry... and that's saying something.
Merely fixing the game so it works on last gen will not change much about that either, at this point.

I hope customers learn from it, atleast... especially pre-orders should finally die.

And also triggered a very poor response from them.

Can't say I agree.

There are definitely things in Adam's answer that I don't agree with but he also made some very good points.

20 people is not a big enough pool to represent a team of more than 500 and ideas change during development.

It doesn't make up for the 9/10 and 10/10 comment. Or his "it plays way better than that old demo" - Well I damn hope so, that demo was from two years ago, if it didn't play better you seriously failed.

But I wouldn't call it a poor response.

Problem is, they are trying to save face by the pretend method. That or they really are so out of touch.
They will just keep repeating how the game is doing amazing on PC and the game is exactly how they wanted it to be. The majority of people who don't care enough or actually do love the game will back them up while another portion of their fabase will just simply move on.
Seems insted of offering full transparency, admitting that they fucked up, commiting to deliver the "never have seen before next gen RPG experience", they will simply play along with the "satisfied customers" and move on.

Gamespot did a comparison video a while back between the E3 Demo and the game: -

The idea that the demo was 'Fake' is a disingenuous statement from Schreier. Sure some of the events in the demo were undoubtedly scripted (that's the nature of these things when you're showing a vertical slice early in development), but it's clearly in engine footage as opposed to CG as a lot of people are now wrongfully claiming.

One can only hope, one can only hope. I'd love to see they pulling a FFXIV and making the game amazing... but there is just so much wrong with it as of right now, I wouldn't even know where to start...

Battlefront 2 in my opinion had a much bigger or as big of a redemption story as No mans sky. And I do think that CDPR has the chance to pull it off. They just need to pull it off.

Can't say I agree.

Battlefront faced a lot of backlash. Most of it over loot boxes but it's system were in place and mostly working. It was a matter of refining them. Not to mention Battlefront 2 by it's very nature is a much smaller scope project.

NMS was missing entire systems. Just like CP is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom