So CDPR has listed many of their inspirations for this game, which stand out for you?

+
So CDPR has listed many of their inspirations for this game, which stand out for you?

I'm just gonna separate this by medium but you don't have to if you don't want to.

Manga/Comic/Graphic Novel- Eden- It's an Endless World

I would have never heard of this if it wasn't for Mateusz Kanik name dropping it in an interview so thank you sir for that. I must say, this probably one of my favorite manga of all time and I'm glad they are using this as an inspiration because it is a fantastic piece of cyberpunk literature. Sex, drugs, murder, cybernetics, guns, hacking, desperate people doing dangerous things for mundane reasons. It's all here. Look it up and check it out. You owe it too yourself considering we got several years of waiting ahead of us anyway.

Video Games-Deus Ex

Blah blah yadaa yadaa best game of all time. You've probably heard it before but man I think it holds weight. It all about the design of this thing. It's brilliant really. You play how you want, when you want, and the game never restricts you to do something one way. Fantastic atmosphere and an entertaining plot and casts only helps. This ain't nostalgia talking either, played this game a decade after it was released.

Movies-Blade Runner

The grand daddy of the genre as far as visual mediums go. This movie is great and will continue to be great forever. The film noir style, the brilliantly authentic visual design and the gripping plot are timeless. Every fan of cyberpunk has to see this, a lot of good stuff here.

Books-I am ashamed to say I actually haven't ready any Cyberpunk books. :V I blame public school education failing me for not putting any William Gibson on my summer reading list. I will fix this shortly.

So what about you all? What's your favorite Cyberpunk media?

I don't know if someone has already mentioned this in another thread, but there is a new anime called Psycho-Pass that I feel heavily takes from themes from the cyberpunk genre. I've only gotten through one episode so I can't say much about it though. Can anybody that is further into the series tell whether or not it lives up to its potential?

I'm reading William Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy. Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive. Fantastic books. A lot of the tropes that became Cyberpunk 2020 came from Gibson, including Night City and a lot of the tech and lore.

Coming in the mail as we speak is Gary A. Ballard's Bridge Chronicles series, Under the Amoral Bridge etc etc... Guy was hard to find, he's fairly recent, and he's self-published. But his stories are bang-on cyberpunk. You can read his short stories at his website. http://www.bridgechronicles.info/

And I'm cracking into the Cyberpunk 2020 main rules book I got from a buddy.

Cyberpunk 2020... everything else is secondary.

This is not to lessen anything else, or even its impact on Cyberpunk 2020 itself. But the game isn't Bladreunner, it isn't Ghost In The Shell or Appleseed. They got their own games already. It's not Neuromancer, Burning Chrome, Snow crash, or When Gravity Fails.

The game is Cyberpunk 2077.......... and is supposed to be directly based off the Cyberpunk 2020 role-playing game... So that, to me, is the only inspiration that matters.

I really liked Minority Report. Blade Runner is the golden standard in regard to visuals. I'm confident CDPR's skills at adapting an IP will blow us away. They'll capture the essence of Talsorian's vision. After reading two Witcher novels, I'm pretty amazed at their ability to bring Sapkowski's world to life.

Transmetropolitan: a most definitely cyberpunk story sans corporate influences.

Bubblegum Crisis 2032: in spite of it's age and somewhat lighter tone, it has some very cyberpunk themes of 'what is human' and how grey that line got in the series. You even had a Rockergirl, A Corporate, A Hacker, and an arguable merc as the main cast with definite cyberpunk aethetics

BladeRunner: Nuff Said.

Natural City: Korea's Blade Runner. Actualy not a bad film at all that shows just how disposable you are.

And I'm cracking into the Cyberpunk 2020 main rules book I got from a buddy.
I was also lucky and found a few CP2020 manuals in a second hand book store, so reading through those. I was playing Paranoia at the time.

Transmetropolitan is also a favourite of mine, and if the role makes it in I'll be playing a Media first for this reason. Spider Jerusalem has a "bowel disruptor" gun, which I would love to see implemented, particularly for MP ! <insert 3 eyed smilie here>

I never exactly understood CDPR's reasoning behind listing every single minor inspiration, sure listing inspirations might be a great way to gain attention of fanboys of those works, but in a long run it makes them come off as uncreative and unoriginal.

Matters are made even worse when you remind yourself that CDPR has yet to make a new IP from scratch, rather than licensed one...

No different from every other game developer. Their own IP will come I am sure.

I like CDPRs info release, they are much more open, and much less PR blurb than the rest.

@Meccanical, thanks for the manga recomendation. Got to check if they've edited in my own country, the length of it, etc.

Again, Cyberpunk is indeed its own I.P., its own setting but it also tries to keep somewhat generic so that players can live out their own fantasies derived from the cyberpunk stories that have been written along the years. It's no use trying to say "CP2020 came before GITS" because it's a given that when Mike Pondsmith or the guys behind CDPR read/saw GITS or later cyberpunk they stopped at some points and said to themselves "why hadn't I thought of this". It's GOOD to have new cyberpunk material come and satiate our needs for dystiopian narration.

CP2077 as a setting has to remain faithful to its own internal logic but there's nothing bad from taking the visual cues from manganime when they do it right, the same way William Gibson felt jealous of Blade Runner for the way it visually depicted a setting that he could only transmit sensually or sensorially through a poetic use of words. If the message is not perverted, if you don't make it a corporate tool (like I, Robot the movie) or something even worse (like Gamer) it's only benefitial.

Also, aren't RPG rules constantly tested by people with approaches like "can I make a clone of this already existing character from a similar setting with these rules"?

Video Games-Deus Ex
I avoided playing Deus Ex for a long time because it was fairly old when I discovered it and the visuals were visibly dated. Big mistake. This is a fantastic game where the story easily makes up for the visuals. Immortal classic.

Cyberpunk 2020... everything else is secondary.

This is not to lessen anything else, or even its impact on Cyberpunk 2020 itself. But the game isn't Bladreunner, it isn't Ghost In The Shell or Appleseed. They got their own games already. It's not Neuromancer, Burning Chrome, Snow crash, or When Gravity Fails.

The game is Cyberpunk 2077.......... and is supposed to be directly based off the Cyberpunk 2020 role-playing game... So that, to me, is the only inspiration that matters.

relaxe man, we only talk about other inspiration. Mike already said "Ghost in Shell" is a inspiration, but because of this he wont make a "Ghost in the Shell" game its still CP 2077. CP 2077 isnt inspired by CP 2020 its based of CP 2020, everthing else is inspiration.

Not to mention, there are lots of gaps in CP2020s setting and theme handling. Day to day life of the citizens isn't something you read much of in the MRB - international relations are spottily covered at best, (the Euros run everything. Don't like it? Ask the good citizens of Colorado Springs what they think), art examples are often clumsy compared to something like Bladerunner and even if you go hard at the Night Cty sourcebook, things like architecture and city design are pretty basic.

Lots of room for additional flavour. As long as they keep to the cynical, gritty, near-future flavour of CP2020 and have such non-typical RPG "classes" like Corporate, Netrunner and Fixer, I'll be happy.

And leave out vehicles. They're just dumb in cyberpunk. It's a Street game, not Grand Theft Auto. Pff.

Not to mention, there are lots of gaps in CP2020s setting and theme handling. Day to day life of the citizens isn't something you read much of in the MRB - international relations are spottily covered at best, (the Euros run everything. Don't like it? Ask the good citizens of Colorado Springs what they think), art examples are often clumsy compared to something like Bladerunner and even if you go hard at the Night Cty sourcebook, things like architecture and city design are pretty basic.

Actually international relations are pretty well laid out in a basic sense... even your quote is fully explained in the timeline... When tdur8ing the climax to the first orbital war the ESA used a massdriver at tycho to drop a rock on colorado springs.

Of course you can only put so much in the Main rule book, which is why there is a huge number of books dedicated to fleshing out the world... Night City, Home Of The Brave, Neo Tribes, Rough Guide To The UK, Eurosource, Eurosource Plus, Rough Guide To The Pacific Rim, Near Orbit, Deep Space... not to mention entire sections dedicated to fleshing out the world in other sourcebooks and adventures...

As I said, visually, they are free to pull from wherever, but the world itself is pretty well laid out.

And leave out vehicles. They're just dumb in cyberpunk. It's a Street game, not Grand Theft Auto. Pff.

I hate you so much right now.....

Eden: It's an Endless World! :D thats a really good inspiration! For the ones who dont know it, you should read it.

Just look at this:

Top Bottom