So do you find the new patch successful or not?

+

So do you find the new patch successful or not?

• Total voters
For myself its a bad patch, the colour design looks terrible, the balance is bad, the tooltips are wrong on many cards, i donmt like the agile on all cards an the row limit.
The good thing is the patch came before i bought the kegs i wanted for me for christmas so i buy me a new mech in mwo instead.

I like some of the new cards but the cartoon look is something i realy dont like, also some of the text on the cards are immersion breaking what for my self is something i hoped not find in gwent.

That the deck builder is changed , i am ok with that ( but i liked the old one more) but why i have now a goot overlook over my cards in the collection and worse look of the cards in my deck?

many things are now faster what is realy nice ( trollololo with 10+ armor and a Kaedweni Kavalery needed ages).
The name changes of the Cards are awefull and are realy disturbing , it isnt the first time and i realy dont know why you do it again but realy pls change the names back. ( i realy want my Blue Mountain Commando back)

Overall this patch is a huge step forwards HS and thats not what i search in Gwent.

Last edited:
Shadow-Stalker;n10077821 said:
Let me tally up the points and I'll let you know:

+1 for the deck builder.

+1 for a few interesting cards

+1 for a few features such as being able to reconnect.

-1 for the horrific lag and disconnects.

-1 for the pointless renaming of cards. 'Cos I love playing my Ocvist.

-1 for removing some really great alternate art cards and their premium counterparts.

-1 for implementing new prestige cards that simply glint. (This is a clearly a side effect of a later issue**)

-1 for the absolutely absurd card changes that clearly weren't tested and probably randomized in a bid to 'Shake up' the meta. Thinks like thunder doing 9 damage (It was optimised over the last hundred patches to 7 for a reason.) Buffing Auckes and removing his 2 damage. This change does nothing but make an already potent lock card 'Safe.' - Along with many many more.

-1 For the silly cartooning of the effects in the game. There are VERY FEW new effects I think are cool, and most of the ones I do are the effects that were never in the game to start with. Most other changes either look meh, or sound meh. Nothing has a bang anymore. No crackle and pop.

-2 For thinking you would be successful in pulling a Curse of Osiris on us, Because I thought you left the greedy stuff to other developers? You actually REMOVED the old effects of Unseen elder and Ekkimara and then brought in swanky new cards that DO THE EXACT SAME THING AS THEY DID?!?!?!?!?!?!

-1 for some obviously broken cards such as Geralt Yrden or Iorveth meditation.

And -63 for Rushing the release of this shoddy patch so it is released just in time for Christmas; before we all receive our season rewards, so that you can push your Christmas bundle and make easy moneys.

So I give this patch a total of...

-69/10

I've been disappointing with the last few patches. And since the patch before this one I've played considerably less.

BUT THIS... This is ridiculous. This is shameful.

This is pathetic.

I also forgot a few other issues I have.

The increased dependency on RNG. I have both won and lost matches to completely random card effects. In both occurrences I felt it was a cheap, hollow victory that was completely undeserving.
Before you would be hard strapped to find a match won purely off a random occurrence. They even advertised the game as 'Skill beats luck.' Back in the day...

And the over simplification of the game. The lack of choice making and tension between turns is even more apparent this patch.

Both of these issues have slowly crept into the game as patches develop. It's beginning to feel like they planned this all along, that they would give us the 'Gwent online' we wanted to start with- knowing we would not stand for anything else. And once we were captured they would then merge it continuously toward a more Hearthstone money making build.

4RM3D;n10077971 said:
Most things on your list are shared by other players, except for the above. So, let me delve into that one for a bit. Geralt: Yrden was already tweaked to only affect one row. That doesn't make the card broken. It can hit multiple targets only when you allow it, in the same way how all the Bears are now aligned for a tasty Scorch. Next, Iorveth: Meditation looks very strong on paper, but in practice the card rarely achieves values that are considered broken. If you have a strong (buffed) unit it can already die to a number of effects, like Scorch or reset. Iorveth can achieve a higher value when the strength is spread over two units and one of them is about half the strength of the other. Having situations like these are rare, though.

There are many, many more cards that raise balance issues, they might not the best examples; But this will always be a more subjective view. Unlike the other issues, which are quite clearly f*ckery. But, to the issue at hand, Iorveth: meditation will ALWAYS have value because your opponent will ALWAYS play more than 2 cards that you can target (Even if not you can always target your own) Geralt never had that safety. And that safe zone combined with that huge game winning ramp is what makes it broken.

Edited: Also, upon much deliberation, I decided that the only aspect of the new deck builder I like is that you can craft cards in it. Like someone said before, I miss the old panel to which you add cards to your deck, so you can physically see them in all their premium glory.
But I suppose that doesn't mean much since all premiums will eventually just become cards with a slight glint...

Last edited:
-2 For thinking you would be successful in pulling a Curse of Osiris on us, Because I thought you left the greedy stuff to other developers? You actually REMOVED the old effects of Unseen elder and Ekkimara and then brought in swanky new cards that DO THE EXACT SAME THING AS THEY DID?!?!?!?!?!?!

Now that I tend to think is because a Vampire Archetype is coming. Pretty sure of that actually. And Ekimmaras will be the foot soldiers of it :) Also, a rain deck xD

I generally do not complain about updates to video games, but some of the changes that came with the new patch is really hard to comprehend.

- Removal of Artists' names on cards. Not a big problem, but it is still noticable and strange that they were removed.
- Simplification of interesting cards when it comes to their abilities and names.
- Extremely unbalanced cards throws strategy out the window. Impera enforcers is a good example, as they can pretty much remove anything on the board when enough spies are played. They were already powerful to begin with, but now it is just absurd.
- Leader cards without challenges to attain them. You need 4800 scraps just to get the new ones.
- The lack of proper compensation for cards that has been removed or changed.
- The Hearthstone-like interface feels cheap.

/ An assortment of bugs have also lessened the overall enjoyment of the game in it's current state.

It feels like more was taken away than added to the game with this update. Everything else, from a personal standpoint, is perfectly fine. I am still looking forward to the final product, but I'm not pleased with quite a few of the changes made with this patch.

ser2440;n10079501 said:
Now that I tend to think is because a Vampire Archetype is coming. Pretty sure of that actually. And Ekimmaras will be the foot soldiers of it :) Also, a rain deck xD

That is absolutely no excuse for the order of action. If this was the case they should have removed Ekimmara and Unseen elder and provided each player who owns these cards their new counterparts- Whether non premium or premium. Or they should have provided the FULL scrap Value for these cards.

I like this patch. And I think they will make a great game. I am sorry for them, because people doesn t support them and don t trust them.
I understand that some changes are not good, but all I see on Gwent forums, facebook is that gwent is bad and the same criticism.

Most people here have faith in CDPR. But shoving your fingers in your ears and yelling lalallala whenever criticism is brought up is called being a shill. (Not quite but you get the idea)

The worst thing a fan can do is be a yes-man for the company he loves. This doesn't mean going to forums and yelling "screw you CDPR and "I'm quitting Gwent" but a lot of people here have good criticism and should be heard.

The patch for me kind of killed the mood, so to speak. It might sound strange but atmosphere is important for me in games, which includes Gwent. The new patch just looks like something out of a cartoon, both visually and in the audio department. The effects lack punch, so to speak. Used to be than when using AOE cards, like overdose, the entire board shook with a nice audio cue. Now it's just a bunch of colours spreading across the screen with a weak audio file.

I'll just wait a bit before going back to it. Plenty of other games to play. Hopefully the guys from CDPR get on it after a nice holiday rest.

Last edited:
The update isn't perfect, it feels rushed. It's not that bad though. I really don't understand the UI complaints, overall it works better in every way.

+ Gameplay is smoother
+ Being able to look at Graveyard while Swapping
+ New cards/New archetypes
+ Can see Hand completely
+ Resurrection nerfed
+ Updated UI
+ Deck builder
+ New card effects (as in vfx)
+ Some card changes (Lambert/Schirru)

- Bugs/Glitches on console
- Can't see what my opponent is doing when they are creating/spawning a card (feels less interactive)
- No artist name on cards
- No leader challenges
- Lackluster sound effects
- Some unnecessary changes (Arbalest/Hunter/Ves)

Although the holiday event was really easy, I don't have a problem that. Not every event has to be hard. Maybe they didn't have enough time to make it hard. I don't know how to feel about the Create ability either. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not. That's kind of the point of it though, just fun little cards. If you don't like them, don't use them. There's still many cards without RNG abilities that can be used for a competitive deck.

I'd give the update a 6/10. I like it but it needs some fixes and changes.

Last edited:

Raunbjorn

alexmanelistu;n10080111 said:
I like this patch. And I think they will make a great game. I am sorry for them, because people doesn t support them and don t trust them.
I understand that some changes are not good, but all I see on Gwent forums, facebook is that gwent is bad and the same criticism.

Just for the record I've supported them financially and as a matter of fact I thought the game was great already but I'm not gonna pretend that I like this patch. This patch is one step forward and ten steps backwards. I can't believe they spend a year to come up with the most badass looking thing and then all of a sudden it looks like the game is back to alpha again. And that's just the aesthetic part. Don't get me started on the mechanics and RNG cards lol.

For me one of the most awefull things is acctualy all the carefully collected meteorite powder that i used on my Nilfgaard deck to get all cards to premium. And now the deck no longer works well.
Maybe we should get full refunds for every card with every major "let's change the game up completely again" overhaul.

Shadow-Stalker;n10079961 said:
That is absolutely no excuse for the order of action. If this was the case they should have removed Ekimmara and Unseen elder and provided each player who owns these cards their new counterparts- Whether non premium or premium. Or they should have provided the FULL scrap Value for these cards.

They may be doing this.

People in this thread are reporting getting the Ekkimmara Queen out of nowhere: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/for...the-consume-queen-leader-to-everyone-s-acount

I checked and I got it to and I have the Unseen Elder from last patch. Now I am just one person, but maybe people could confirm/deny if they got Queen and whether they had Elder?

I dislike the changes introduced by the new patch. I'll name a couple of examples.

1) Playing an ambush card like Morenn feels... hollow, meaningless. Before the patch you could kill a Dwarf Agitator or Ceallach and prevent the deployment of an additional unit. As an opponent you were rewarded for playing around that card, placing something big to the board who would stick no matter what. You would first play The Guardian, big tanky unit, trigger Morenn ability and only afterwards place on the board your Ceallach.
The card saw little to no competitive play, but it added a layer of strategy to the game. Now it has more raw strength, but it lost its flavor. Same applies to Clan Bokvar Hunter, Ves, Champion of Champions, Warcrier,...

2) I don't dig the "quest" system. I like people to play the deck they want when they want it. This is a sensitive point in my opinion, that we tend to dismiss saying: "No one forces you to pick a given deck. You are free, man!"
But if you don't follow the "quest" system you get "punished" by the game and miss the reward. Play X game with SK, win Y game with NR and you fill a sort of obligation to make the most profitable choice. While I think that players should be wise enough to play a game for the sake of playing a game and not in order to get some reward, I don't like companies to encourage grinding.

3) Playing against RNG cards that may or may not create a spy for your opponent is highly frustrating.
If you lose the first round, your opponent might get 2-3 card advantage resulting in an autoloss (or autowin depending on the perspective).

While I dislike the changes I still appreciate CDProjektRed's effort to improve their game. I don't think this is a lazy patch or rushed, my problem is with the core idea behind the changes that take the game in a direction that I simply cannot enjoy.

After some playing and making another post about what was good/bad a few days ago and having some more time to settle and play with it some, here's my thoughts:

What I like

- the new mulligan window that makes it easy to see your whole hand and what you're swapping in/out without having to scroll
- the deck creation/card crafting being rolled into one screen; it's a nice thing and a definite QoL update not having to back out of deck creation, go and create the card(s) you want to use, then go back in and add them to the deck. I like that integration and so you can see what you have and what's available to you all in one place -I actually changed my mind on this; at first I thought it was awful, but it's grown on me quite a lot.
- some of the new cards and card art

What I don't like

- the overall colour scheme - it's very bright, very primary/secondary colour orientated and makes the game look like something for a child
- all the unecessary animations that slow everything down and add nothing positive to the game whatsoever
- the new sound effects for damage sound like someone getting slapped
- RANDOM; everything from random generation of cards, to random placement of cards when called by another card, random choices that are out of your hands and can sometimes mean the win/loss of a game.... to me this removes a certain level of skill; if the game can decide at random to give you the choice between two awful cards to play (or whatever) then you might as well create your deck with your eyes closed. If the fault of the awful choice is mine (from my deck creation/mulligan choices etc etc etc) then I can live with (and learn from) that situation, but if the choice of what I get is out of my hands then it's like a third person deciding which player wins or loses rather than the players themselves through their skills. And that just blows.

And for me, what was absolutely the last straw:

- breaking/changing pre-existing cards and rendering a lot of players decks unplayable in their current state when the patch went live; we shouldn't have to undo (what can be) weeks of work tweaking our decks and crafting cards at our expense only to have an update render them useless - I would say that this hacked me off the most as there didn't seem to be any rhyme/reason behind the majority of the changes, most of them weren't needed in the first place, and instead of consistency across the board already strong cards were buffed even further whilst weaker cards were nerfed or removed entirely.

Last edited:
Connection problems.

Terrible balancing.

Bugs.

But hey, the shit is looking pretty now! Thats great, right? right?!

Shadow-Stalker;n10079431 said:
It's beginning to feel like they planned this all along, that they would give us the 'Gwent online' we wanted to start with- knowing we would not stand for anything else. And once we were captured they would then merge it continuously toward a more Hearthstone money making build.

I agree completely.

No. The new deck builder is great, the new UI however feels like its designed for children and the state of the games balance is outright pathetic. This patch is a solid 2/10 and thats PURELY for the deckbuilder change. This game is selling out on everything that made it good in the first place.

CDPR NEED new game designers to take over GWENT, im sorry but the current lot have shown themselves to be completely incapable constantly.

The rework Regis is just ridiculous, its basically succubus without any setup? You take the highest power and give it to yourself for a double point swing of whatever power you steal?

Played my own non-netdeck and changed 2 card. Played some games, ranked up and had fun. UI seems great, new card are always a plus. Love Gwent, people that are complaining I can't take serious because they never played the new HS edition which is a pile of elephant dung. I like changes, most people don't.

Top Bottom