So do you find the new patch successful or not?

+

So do you find the new patch successful or not?

• Total voters
*Update*

In addition to those raised on my previous post, I would like to include a few more things that weren't on my mind at the time.

Certain mechanics, such as the row limitation: This is counter intuitive and REALLY simplifying the game. This is not a change that is reflective of the Gwent ideology. Large bouts of row stacking is why we have cards like Hailstorm, Lacerate or even Trappers.

This is parallel to capping the maximum Boost of individual units when cards like Mardroeme... *Sigh*... 'Mushrooms' Exist. You just wouldn't do it. You have counters in place, there is no need to artificially limit these things, these are self contained issues that players themselves start countering.

Shadow-Stalker;n10089331 said:
Certain mechanics, such as the row limitation: This is counter intuitive and REALLY simplifying the game.

I disagree. I don't believe adding in a new mechanic can be considered simplification. Having a row limit means players have to think about it and play around it, which means they'll play on more than one row. This lets cards like crows eye, expired ale, pyrotech, etc, see play. Row stacking was not a healthy dynamic for the game. What's the point of having three rows if your players are only going to use one of them? Simplifying the row mechanic would be if they took away two rows and made it so the game was one row v one row. In addition to this, row stacking saw so much play because card like Hailstorm, Lacerate, and Trappers rarely saw play. You might see them in two decks played in the meta. This is so low that there was really no punishment to row stacking.
Adding a row limit was a good thing for the game and I hope you'll see why someday.

leprochauninja;n10089671 said:
In addition to this, row stacking saw so much play because card like Hailstorm, Lacerate, and Trappers rarely saw play. You might see them in two decks played in the meta. This is so low that there was really no punishment to row stacking.
Adding a row limit was a good thing for the game and I hope you'll see why someday.

So how did it help those cards? They were optional before, now they are just dead.

I also hate:

1) Quen removal. Just why?

2) Morenn nerf. It was not very popular card but it had the potential of a turnaround if you managed to kill some unit with critical deploy ability(like Shani)

3) Just general direction of adding more and more cards. We have enough right now, just review the old ones and MAKE THEM PLAYABLE. I understand that they need to sell those kegs, but i totally disagree with this approach in modern card games with adding more and more garbage to the game.

Let's be frank about it: row cap is here for mobile edition not for any strategic reasons. I personally don't like the cap and i do agree with shadow that the game had its own painful ways to punish stackers, although i don't think row cap will be too much of a problem. I am more bothered that like new UI overhaul it was changed for the mobiles sake but we are just being sold the tale how it is more tactical, more Qol, more better... when most of us are aware it was a sacrifice done to expand the market...

Me.Solo;n10089771 said:
So how did it help those cards? They were optional before, now they are just dead.

Hailstorm and trappers are still used in the one deck they were used in before. Lacerate is probably seeing just as much play as it did before. Lacerate actually might be seeing more play now because derren has made the axemen deck playable and they like to use lacerate. There's a lot more swarm variants now as well, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more lacerates pop up. But honestly you can't really know what's going to happen because the meta hasn't been established yet. Part of the issue though is that bronze slots nowadays are very strict and fitting in a lacerate isn't good unless you can tutor it and it's beneficial to your overall strategy. This means Skellige and Scoiatael are really the only two that benefit from this.

Me.Solo;n10089771 said:
1) Quen removal. Just why?

As Rethaz said, "Quen was removed for technical reasons related to our new tech, it will likely be back at some point."
https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comme...cards/drgsypd/ (source)

Ananasi;n10077001 said:
Imo The patch is to much off everything

Imagine someone that dives in to try it out a few patches later. They've had the agile update, gold immunity, and now this.

Let's be frank about it: row cap is here for mobile edition not for any strategic reasons. I personally don't like the cap and i do agree with shadow that the game had its own painful ways to punish stackers, although i don't think row cap will be too much of a problem. I am more bothered that like new UI overhaul it was changed for the mobiles sake but we are just being sold the tale how it is more tactical, more Qol, more better... when most of us are aware it was a sacrifice done to expand the market...

I'll have you know the new Draug can be very strategic with flooding a row with cursed units and then boosting them all with Yen or Ruehin. Just Draug plus Ruehin can make a powerful 35 point finisher with nothing else on the board. I quite like the row limit actually. It helps a lot in playing around certain things and excessive row stacking.

That's the point. Sure some things were simplified, some things were changed for the worse, a lot of things really. But new possibilities have also opened up. Possibilities that it's not fair to bypass. :)

Im just going to say this,,,,This patch was obviously rushed and completely unpolished. I'm pretty shocked they let this get through qc and launched it. Ive spent a good amount of money on this game and its starting to feel like I just set fire to hard earned cash. Not to mention the new cards are mixed with the old, no new packs to buy to get new cards. That I could live with,but the disaster they released is completely amateurish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is seriously nobody going to mention how terribly unstable it is? The amount of times the game has crashed during ranked games alone is enough to consider this rushed and a failure. Let alone all the crashes in general.

To me it looks like this:
Gwent in Witcher - Baby
Gwent in Beta: Child
Gent after latest patch: Teenager

It feels more mature and some of the new changes are bold (eg row limit or new weather), maybe not completetly thought through but still fresh enough to be worth exploring. And like in a teenagers life more is going on now in terms of variety and different things to do. New strategies and ways to play will keep me busy for some time I guess.

The new Deckeditor grew on me, at first I was not very fond of it but after spending some time with it I like the efficiency it provides and that I don't have to switch between collections and decks. As for the graphics, yes less comic style would be nice.

Some of the comments here are pretty harsh, lets not forget that this game is F2P and it's as free as any F2P game can get so maybe tone it down a bit and say thank you for once? Having said that, I can't wait for the Adult version to come out (no puns intended :D).

So what you are saying since the game is f2p it should have different(lower?) standards for measuring quality? Would that imply that if someone payed money ingame they can criticize it more harshly?

Also i find your simile a bit weird. Gwent must be some kind of Benjamin Button because the older it gets the more childish it becomes. When it reaches adulthood i might finnaly get the my little pony UI theme for my NG slaves archetype :).

nemirni;n10095511 said:
So what you are saying since the game is f2p it should have different(lower?) standards for measuring quality?
No just be maybe a bit more polite. The devs made it clear from the beginning that this is a pet project made for the fans but I guess they have become victim of their own success, suddenly people feel they have the right to insult the devs because they dared to not always deliver top-notch quality or to introduce a new mechanic some might not agree with. You didn't (have to) pay money for it so take what you get, help the game improve by considered and polite feedback or just let it be.

Yes this patch is a game changer and I welcome it because I didn't like the old gwent too much for the past year. Now the fire is rekindled and I think it might go on longer than the last time. I understand that it might be frustrating for established players who suddenly have to redo or simply delete most of their decks but that has nothing todo with the quality of the patch itself - which I honestly don't get what people are complaining about in particular. Azure Thunder being to high with 9? Yes it has to be now with so much growing and buffing going on and several cards which put 25 points or more on the table. It makes the strong cards a bit less a sure thing and matches more dynamic. I am sure that with time people will appreciate the changes, I for one think the game made a huge step towards the complexity of MTG and I like it ;)

While there are some things i don't like about this patch, overall i enjoy it. I actually had more fun in the last couple of days than in any other time in gwent history.

I'm quitting gwent

I'm quitting Gwent. This pretty much sums it up. Patch ruined the game, used to love it but now the balance is just retarded. If you enjoy gwent that's great, but I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Ciri nova plus three commander horns in one game did it, no one should have in 85 point swing in under 5 cards

Last edited by a moderator:
Chickencababs thread merged

Ciri nova plus three commander horns in one game did it, no one should have in 85 point swing in under 5 cards

This actually requires a very specific setup and is also incredible vulnerable to Scorch effects. What you've experienced is a fringe case you don't see often. Regardless, it seems you've made up your mind. There are probably more things going on right now than what you've mentioned.

Best of luck in future games.

The ui was mediocre before with the squarish design and loading screens everywhere. Now it's horrible overall.

Patch is worst of all.

1) lame terrible rng cards, even worse - leaders. Its not a strategic game anymore - just rng rng rng. This is the main problem. If they increase "pool" of creation (adding new cards), the problem will strenghten self. Or, those cards will just end up being dead like so many others
2) bugs, disconnects, crashes - many. Feels like real beta version, or even gamma.
​​​​3) OP cards - not so many, but yes (i mean nova, bearscrap, i would add ulfheddin and vandergrift, give it several weeks, it will become new annoyance like halestorm, those two can do CRAZY damage)
4) problems that were before are not solved, or even strenghtented (or boosted) - many dead golds, coinflip, rare/common rate

So, worst patch of all.
Still have some hope.
cause there is a saying - hope dies last.

I am fighting with myself to quit the game after this "patch". And it seems that I am not the only one.

Top Bottom