So how do you think Avallac really feels about Ciri?

+
She puts up a good fight at first, but then she actually loses and has to run away so dunno how you can call that "completely dominating" him.
She only "looses" because she wanted to destroy his staff to free Geralt/Nilfgaardian soldiers from the frost.
During the fight Caranthir has absolutely no chance against her. The whole time he is just retreating and can't land a single blow

That's why I think they spent more than only 6 months together. After all he had done in Lady of the Lake it's difficult for me to imagine that she would completely trust him in such a short time. Judging by the one dialogue outside of Novigrad she seems to even have more trust in him than in Yennefer (can't blame her though, considering Yennefer seems to have an agenda regarding Ciri's future)
I think it's pointless to discuss why Avallac'h changed his plans considering CDP changed the nature of the White Frost and the way Auberon died.. He just had to adjust to CDP's lore rape.

That's why I would look at the moments, in which we are not playing as her and everybody experiences the game in the same way. There are two cutscenes, in which we see her fightning.
Before her training in Kaer Morhen she is fighting three of whoreson's thugs on temple island. While she manages to defeat them, she is struggling and exhausted after.
After her training in Kaer Morhen, we can see her fighting and completely dominating Caranthir
Her abilities changed from struggling against three common thugs to completely dominating a powerful Aen Elle mage.
Imo it's illogical how much more powerful she became because of a few days of training and it raises the question why Avallac'h didn't use the at least 6 months they spent together to "unlock" her superpowers before.

More than six months: likely.
Six years: unlikey, at least for me. I think it's something about over a year. That's actually enough time. Ciri had time to work the things up etc. Avallac'h was never "evil" or bad to her, but always friendly and polite (let's ignore the one situation he was not). Maybe she could somehow understand his reasons after thinking through everything. She had a few years to develop this comprehension.
If you add the other things I mentioned (Avallac'h actively helped her and hid her from the Wild Hunt) and that he surely would have explained his "new plans", I can imagine she would trust him that much after one year.

It's strange. Yes.

She only "looses" because she wanted to destroy his staff to free Geralt/Nilfgaardian soldiers from the frost.
During the fight Caranthir has absolutely no chance against her. The whole time he is just retreating and can't land a single blow

There's a way to get Emhyr to send you troops? For me Geralt automatically refused him the moment he brought up Voorhis.

And? You can't just ignore the actual outcome of the fight. She can barely stand up and is running away, where Caranthir is still doing well enough to put up a fight against Geralt.

And? You can't just ignore the actual outcome of the fight. She can barely stand up and is running away, where Caranthir is still doing well enough to put up a fight against Geralt.
I don't see why the outcome is important. Avallac'h told her do destroy the staff to break his frost spell.That was her priority That's what she did and because of the explosion she had to retreat.
Caranthir himself was absolutely chanceless against her. If she wouldn't have attacked his staff, she would have easily defeated him. She had more problems with whoreson's bandits than with Caranthir before the frost explosion

The Sunstone was Ge’el’s idea and not Avallac’h’s. However, just like you I, too was expecting much to happen. Did you notice the moment when she says “I give you my Heart? What kind of spell is this?” she actually casts only half the spell. There is a sound and Avallac’h does something. Not sure if something really happened there.

BTW, I love how soft their voices become around those scenes and when she casts the spell (in the English version). Almost like whispers…

These are just some ideas, concluded by the so many subtle hints in-game and books. They could be on the right path or they could be totally wrong. The truth is only CDPR know where they intend to go with their story, that is if there is going to be another game with Ciri as the main protagonist.

About the Empress ending, it is Ciri who says to Geralt that although she does not like that option, it is the only one she has if she wants to be able to do something good! (What does she plan to do? )

There is yet another hint in that dialogue, when Geralt asks her whose idea it was for Ciri to become Empress. Ciri does not reveal whose idea it was but she says that Yennifer had nothing to do about it.

We know that Philippa wanted Ciri to become Empress so that she becomes her royal advisor but I don’t believe Ciri would ever permit Philippa become her mentor. In short, since it is not Geralt, it’s not Yen, Philippa and Emhyr are out of the question, the only other person who could influence Ciri at such a level of decision is Avallac’h himself.

Ok I'm gonna have to reload/re-watch the Sunstone scene because now I feel like there are other subtle things thrown in there but I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed. I wonder about the Empress ending now. I can imagine Avallac'h wanting Ciri as an Empress because she can influence and affect a lot more people and events than by simply being a Witcher and let's be real, Ciri was meant to have the throne. It's conflicting to me because it doesn't really match her personality and both her and Geralt don't seem thrilled at the idea but I think she was meant to be an Empress. Avallac'h would see the benefit in that.

Hmm....so much speculation, I wonder if they'll ever continue Ciri's story. It would be such waste to not continue it. :(

Last edited:
Did anyone notice Avallac'h standing behind Geralt at the ned of the game, when Ciri were going to stop the white frost and the last shot was at Geralt. I just thought if anyone else saw it or not, 'cause then he did not leave right after she went to fight the white frost. it would have been cool to see if Geralt had a conversation with him though.

My guess is that he stayed until she returned. If you dont get the bad ending she does survive, so I imagine she returns from the tower in hours(no idea how long it takes to defeat the frost). Not days. CD project just teases us but not showing her return.
.I think he does want to know if she survives. I dont think he would just walk away while she is in the tower.

I have come to one conclusion it maybe strange but Ciri can be the only one to stop the White Frost because her magic is magic of order . I have a theory that makes it sound . The Wild Hunt uses travel each time they rip the fabric of time and space their magic is chaos . The Wild Hunt wants Ciri because her magic doesn't do this and they are destroying their world because it is an anchor point drawing the damage to their world with the in rush of extreme cold from space . That would also explain the in rush of cold that precedes the Wild Hunt because of the tear . The only reason Ciri is capable is she has magic that counters chaos . It is a gamble by Avallah'c that the Sunstone would make an anchor point to Skellige . Even a bigger gamble in Ciri having the strength to fix the tear . The white frost being a byproduct of magic going wrong than an entity makes more sense . Yes Avallah'c care for Ciri because it figures to be a possible way to save his world .

Yes! I was just wondering about that last night but got lazy in updating my post. As far as Caranthir knows, Eredin is his rightful king and commander. Avallac'h said himself that only he and Eredin know about the supposed regicide. How come being a general in an elite military unit, right-hand man of the reigning king, and the captain of his own awesome ship counts as being a criminal? I would say Caranthir is quite accomplished. Considering Avalla'ch and Eredin purged an entire planet of humans, killing humans or enslaving them shouldn't be considered a crime in his standard. So his claim seems really coming out of nowhere.

i know this thread is old, but i'd love to resume it 'cause i've still got so many questions and can't seem to wrap my brain around some of the motifs ...but i miss one important detail (sadly, i don't have the game and i can't find this text anywhere on the wikis or google):

there seems to be an ingame note or book called "Caranthir's progress" which you apparantly can find in Avallac'h's lab beneath the family tree, somewhere near the note "Remarks Concerning the death of Auberon".
Would anybody here do me a huge favour and post this note here? Please? =)

Last edited:
there seems to be an ingame note or book called "Caranthir's progress" which you apparantly can find in Avallac'h's lab beneath the family tree, somewhere near the note "Remarks Concerning the death of Auberon".

Did you find it in the game file? I just went back to his lab and still can't find anything. Maybe it's part of the cut content? I would very much like to see the note too!

Did you find it in the game file? I just went back to his lab and still can't find anything. Maybe it's part of the cut content? I would very much like to see the note too!

I could not find it in the lab, but I used an old save file from the end of Battle Preparations, so I am not sure if it was there at some point (and then maybe I looted and sold it). It is definitely still in the game files:
0x00107040 | Caranthir's Progress

0x00107041 | Caranthir is undoubtedly the most skilled navigator I have ever had the chance to train. Yet his rash temper and his tendency to take foolish risks has called into question the possibility of ever using him for our purposes.
I know Eredin is ready to put him through the trials now, which Caranthir in his pride would surely take as a sign of trust, and not indifference. The fate of his predecessor clearly was not warning enough for him, or perhaps he truly does have that much faith in his own powers.
In light of the time I have devoted to him, I would like Caranthir to succeed.

I could not find it in the lab, but I used an old save file from the end of Battle Preparations, so I am not sure if it was there at some point (and then maybe I looted and sold it). It is definitely still in the game files:

0x00107041 | Caranthir is undoubtedly the most skilled navigator I have ever had the chance to train. Yet his rash temper and his tendency to take foolish risks has called into question the possibility of ever using him for our purposes.
I know Eredin is ready to put him through the trials now, which Caranthir in his pride would surely take as a sign of trust, and not indifference. The fate of his predecessor clearly was not warning enough for him, or perhaps he truly does have that much faith in his own powers.
OMG, thank you so much! That's so interesting! =)

@norealer, the note was mentioned in the "Prima" eGuide under "Extra Content | Quest and Key Items". Sadly, i can't link it atm, didn't post enough here. xD

The attached image is a screenshot of the estimated location of said note, i think you can't really "examine" it, could be a bug. Or maybe that's yet another note? ;)

Attachments

• lab_examine.jpg
    lab_examine.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

Thank you! Thank you! Finally some concrete lore about Caranthir! Now I'm curious what "our purposes" and "trials" are about...

The attached image is a screenshot of the estimated location of said note, i think you can't really "examine" it, could be a bug. Or maybe that's yet another note?

I found that "examine" too. At first I thought maybe it's what triggerred the family tree cutscene, but I was wrong, the cutscene was triggered automatically. I tried loading earlier saves, but that note was still inactive. Most likely bugs?

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

The role I would gave to Avallac'h is the one CDPR gave to Ge'els - an arrogant, racist Elf, and only a temporary ally to Geralt. That creepy, ooc relationship Ciri have with him is something that ruins both of their characters for me.

Really? Eredin's hardly alone. There are others, they have plans for me. It was the sorceresses of the Lodge once, now it's my father, even Yennefer...
You're forgetting Avallac'h...
Avallac'h's different...

There are no words to express how disturbing this dialogue was for me :realmad:

The role I would gave to Avallac'h is the one CDPR gave to Ge'els - an arrogant, racist Elf, and only a temporary ally to Geralt. That creepy, ooc relationship Ciri have with him is something that ruins both of their characters for me.

Really? Eredin's hardly alone. There are others, they have plans for me. It was the sorceresses of the Lodge once, now it's my father, even Yennefer...
You're forgetting Avallac'h...
Avallac'h's different...

There are no words to express how disturbing this dialogue was for me :realmad:

Ciri's Stockholm Syndrome towards Avallac'h is probably one of the creepiest things about the series (I'm counting the books too).

Top Bottom