So, how does the Physical Edition work when upgrading to Next Gen?

+
Supposedly both digital and physical versions receive a free upgrade. The digital is easy. Just go to the shop and download it when you get a PS5, but how does it work for the Physical editions? Will the disk just be backwards compatible, but run with PS5 specs or will we also (somehow) be allowed to download the store version on PS5 for free if we have the disk in the system?

Anyone know how this'll work?

Well, the upgrade to next gen will work pretty much the same for both versions. The only difference is that for the physical version you obviously need to have a PS5 console with disc drive.

Here‘s additional information from CDPR support:

Aaand this one too

Guest 4421288

Inserting the disc will give entitlement to next year's "dedicated" PS5 version off the PS Store.

Means another 100GB download then delete PS4 version and won't need to keep disc inserted anymore.

Unlikely you will be entitled to physical copy of PS5 version.

Now hopefully the PS4 save file can be converted into PS5 save file for NG+/DLC use! Something I have been asking for ages.

Supposedly both digital and physical versions receive a free upgrade. The digital is easy. Just go to the shop and download it when you get a PS5, but how does it work for the Physical editions? Will the disk just be backwards compatible, but run with PS5 specs or will we also (somehow) be allowed to download the store version on PS5 for free if we have the disk in the system?

Anyone know how this'll work?

Awesome! Thank you for the quick and informative answers! I have no idea why I was having so much trouble finding that info, lol.

one question i just finally got a ps5 today. i have cyberpunk 2077 on my external hardrive from ps4. considering cyberpunk is no longer on ps store, is there any benefit to downloading it from my library on ps5 or is it the exact same experience as it was on ps pro? if experience is the same id rather leave it on external hardrive to save space. i assume only thing would be faster load times?

Here‘s additional information from CDPR support:
Ok, but i bought the PS4 disc version and the PC version via GOG. CDPR once tweeted that no gamer should be forced to buy a game twice. I will be forced to buy the game a third time if I want to play it on my PS5 digital. And i can't get a refund for my physical copy anymore.

Are there any plans on resolving such issues in a gamer-friendly way?

Sony didn't make any promises so i don't think it's a question for them. But we'll see how CDPR handles that problem when the PS5 version is being released.

No but Sony has always warned that this could be an issue with any game that can be upgraded (thats why I mentioned the link).

Unless Sony adds a feature that can turn a physical version into a digital one (and makes it impossible to use the disc version anywhere else afterwards...) I don’t think it‘s something people should expect or demand to happen for any game.

And I‘m a playstation player myself.

No but Sony has always warned that this could be an issue with any game that can be upgraded (thats why I mentioned the link).

Unless Sony adds a feature that can turn a physical version into a digital one (and makes it impossible to use the disc version anywhere else afterwards...) I don’t think it‘s something people should expect or demand to happen for any game.

And I‘m a playstation player myself.
I get your point but if CDPR really wants to keep their promise they should be able to find a way to solve this. Giving out free codes for the digital version if you send them your physical copy for example. Or simply give out codes for the digital version if you bought any other digital version.
Bethesda also managed to do this with Fallout 76. I got free access to the PC version just by buying the physical PS4 version.

You will be able to get the new version for PS5, but you still need to have to old original disc in your console.
This is same as when moving from PS3 to PS4, I forgot what game it was but that is how it will work.

So if you delete the game from your PS5, you need to put old disc in and if unlucky install old version first to the upgrade to PS5 only.

The annoying part is even though the game you play is now 100% digital, you still need the disc in your console everytime you want to play.

At least this is how it was from PS3 to PS4.

Top Bottom