So how is cyberware working right now?

+
I'd heard some people saying that the "humanity" stat has been removed, and we now just have "slots" to put specific cyberware in. Is that true?

Pretty much.

There's a limited selection of cyberware available and in some (many?) cases it's either/or not both. Thus you're only permitted to have so much cyberware and "humanity" isn't calculated since the total amount of cyberware you can have (theoretically) can never be enough drive the player into cyberpsychosis.

I sort of understand CDPRs logic. We all know many (most?) players would min-max such a system to death and/or complain LOUDLY when their own actions led to the inevitable result, a nonplayable psychotic.

I sort of understand CDPRs logic. We all know many (most?) players would min-max such a system to death and/or complain LOUDLY when their own actions led to the inevitable result, a nonplayable psychotic.

As much as I love the pen & paper game, at the end of the day this is a video game. I think there should be enough RPGish embellishments to give us the feel of the pen & paper game, but I don't think we should have to keep track of every little thing.

I personally will try to use as few cybernetic enhancements as possible to keep the meat to wire ratio down, but I still want the freedom to slap on as many of those black market military mods as I want and not have to worry about cyberpsychosis.

Humanity removal is big miss opportunity, cyberpsychosis would be cool addition in the game, events and story can be done well around it, also your character personality to change depending how much your humanity is left.

Like this, without that you are just another Adam Jensen, op af guy with all the cyberware he can get without any problems and downsides.

Using min-maxing as an argument doesn't really hold water, almost anything can be minmaxed. I'd argue that the slot system even more so than a humanity-system where things wouldn't be as black and white.

Someone blogged some time ago an alternative rule system for CP2020 PnP game, where, when installing cyberware, you made a roll which became more difficult the more cyber you had; and if the roll failed you suffered some kind of drawback which had its own tables. So whenever you installed cyber you had a chance to develop negative symptoms, but there was no explicit upper limit to the amount of cyber you could have. I liked it, I try to find the link even though I seem to have misplaced it..
edit: http://vircadesproject.blogspot.com/2014/03/alienation-alternative-cyberpsychosis.html

CDPR approach I sort of expected since its classical and "gamey". I really dont expect CDPR to breat any barriers when it come to gameplay mechanics. They have a tendency to lean on the "tried and true".

Last edited:
Humanity removal is big miss opportunity, cyberpsychosis would be cool addition in the game, events and story can be done well around it, also your character personality to change depending how much your humanity is left.

I agree to a certain extent. I really enjoyed the Humanity system in VTM: Bloodlines as it served as an artificial mechanism to enforce the Masquerade, but I was already familiar with the concepts from the pen & paper game like the Beast and the Masquerade so I did not find Humanity enforcement overly burdensome.

As a vampire, I kept my thirst in check and respected the Masquerade and beat the game within the confines established.

Players who are new to the scenario or have never played the pen & paper may feel differently. There is no causality to wanton behavior in games like GTA Online and there is no downside to min / maxing in games like D2 or WoW. A player might feel that his gameplay is being herded if he has to be wary of cyberpsychosis every time he adds new wetware, especially the black market systems.

I think that cyberpsychosis would be an interesting addition to the game as I think that extensive body modification should come with some amount of risk, but I don't think that the majority of casual players would enjoy it.

I agree to a certain extent. I really enjoyed the Humanity system in VTM: Bloodlines as it served as an artificial mechanism to enforce the Masquerade, but I was already familiar with the concepts from the pen & paper game like the Beast and the Masquerade so I did not find Humanity enforcement overly burdensome.

VtM:B humanity system was quite shallow (simple and one-dimensional), but I really liked how changes in it would change the way the character spoke. That is a nice concept. However, low humanity character would sound more like a common thug than Hannibal Lecter. That was less cool.

VtM:B humanity system was quite shallow (simple and one-dimensional), but I really liked how changes in it would change the way the character spoke. That is a nice concept. However, low humanity character would sound more like a common thug than Hannibal Lecter. That was less cool.

I don't think anyone played VTM: Bloodlines in such a manner as to deliberately tank their Humanity and that's the whole point. It's an artificial system designed to curb your behavior in the game and there is in game consequence for going against the grain. There are consequences to disrespecting the Masquerade.

That doesn't encourage free play, but at least it was introduced as a game mechanic. There were certain rules that must be adhered to for the sake of vampire society and the game enforced these rules.

I would think that players would do their best to regulate the modifications they added to themselves so that they wouldn't end up a monstrosity like the members of the Maelstrom or the Animals and maybe that's why we will only have a limited number of slots for augmentation. Perhaps "Humanity" is being enforced by not allowing us to indulge in extreme body modification?

Last edited:
I don't think anyone played VTM: Bloodlines in such a manner as to deliberately tank their Humanity and that's the whole point. It's an artificial system designed to curb your behavior in the game and there is in game consequence for going against the grain. There are consequences to disrespecting the Masquerade.

That doesn't encourage free play, but at least it was introduced as a game mechanic. There were certain rules that must be adhered to for the sake of vampire society and the game enforced these rules.

I would think that players would do their best to regulate the modifications they added to themselves so that they wouldn't end up a monstrosity like the members of the Maelstrom or the Animals and maybe that's why we will only have a limited number of slots for augmentation. Perhaps "Humanity" is being enforced by not allowing us to indulge in extreme body modification?
That would suck. I get no full borgs or even no linear frames but I think I should be able to get a Front optical mount like the Maelstrom.

Sorta side note, just watched the live action ghost in the shell and I’d really love camouflaging cyber skin.

also I’ve heard rumors that the Gorilla arms aren’t compatible with the Mantis blades? Can anyone corroborate or postulate on that?
Post automatically merged:

I'd heard some people saying that the "humanity" stat has been removed, and we now just have "slots" to put specific cyberware in. Is that true?
Sounds about right and then there are like shards for enhancements on those cyberware.

the real question is, is there biosculpting? BC I wanna look like a techno demon kinda like
5CBDCFCD-362D-4832-8C64-E6B0A2420E41.jpeg

but a little more extreme on the legs, like digitigrade and with hooves. I know its possible in the table top but we haven’t really seen anything about exotics or bio sculpting from CDPR. Honestly I’d settle for horns. But I really want the tail. It would be christmas and my birthday combined if I could get a sickass cyber tail.

Last edited:

I did. I intentionally wanted to create a more monstrous character. I had something like 16 playthroughs iirc. However, the effects were lackluster (talk like a thug and have restricted dialog options. The likelyhood to frenzy never came into effect.). Managing humanity was super easy in the game too. There were more options to redeem it than there were to lose it.

Secondly, masquerade is an entirely different mechanic in the game. Also super easy to manage, assuming you dont kill random people on the streets.

also I’ve heard rumors that the Gorilla arms aren’t compatible with the Mantis blades? Can anyone corroborate or postulate on that?

You only have one set of arms. Makes sense.

the real question is, is there biosculpting?
To the best of our current knowledge, no.
We haven't even seen a biosculpted NPC (Lizzie Wizzie is just a skinjob ... i.e. skin augmentation/alteration).

Last edited:
To the best of our current knowledge, no.
We haven't even seen a biosculpted NPC (Lizzie Wizzie is just a skinjob).
She is also a full borg. They confirmed that the woman with the missing lower jaw in the first trailer is Lizzie Wizzie.

She is also a full borg. They confirmed that the woman with the missing lower jaw in the first trailer is Lizzie Wizzie.
Skin, a lower jaw, and a few other bits of cyberware don't make you a "full borg".
That requires replacing just about everything but the brain and maybe a few vital organs.

also I’ve heard rumors that the Gorilla arms aren’t compatible with the Mantis blades?

Well, if you think about it both of that augment use your arm, it would be normal that you can't install them both at same time.
In Mantis Blades case your arm open up fully so blades can come out, that probably would create problems for Gorilla arms hydraulic system.
Both cyberware would take up same space in your arm

Skin, a lower jaw, and a few other bits of cyberware don't make you a "full borg".
That requires replacing just about everything but the brain and maybe a few vital organs.
Right in the Q&A from 8 months ago it was confirmed I thought?

I get the simplification for video games. Especially as you don't have nearly as many options as you would in the actual tabletop.

Shadowrun's always been one of my favourite systems, and I love the cyberware system in that. Losing essence as you install more, which makes you pick and choose to make the most of what little humanity you have. Of course, in the PnP you've got a MASSIVE amount of options. In video games you're generally limited to a handful of combat related options. Though you could install multiple levels of some things (like dermal plating). So you could pick a couple of key bits of cyberware and then just burn through the rest of your essence with plating or wired reflexes.

Of course, then there's the whole bioware issue. :p

Minus Cyberpsychosis doesn't forcibly makes you irrational. It's main problem is making you unable of empathy, which would turn V in a socially inapt character.
But for that, you would need social stats to begin with, so I think that's the reason why V cannot lose humanity.

What I'm curious is how was the game system before they removed humanity (as we saw that existing at some point during developpement).

Just wished getting cybered or not was a choice in C2077.

What I'm curious is how was the game system before they removed humanity (as we saw that existing at some point during developpement).
To the best of my knowledge humanity was never in CP2077, CP2020 yes, CP2077 no.

Just wished getting cybered or not was a choice in C2077.
I'm ASSUMING part of the cyberware in CP2077 gives you your UI/HUD. If so then I can see where CDPR decided to make a certain amount of cyberware mandatory.

Top Bottom