So, how's your arena experience?

+
I do not really think it's fair if I am lvl 21 myself and only get lvl 45 opponents and even lvl 72. Opponent finding should be fixed, please.

Is it just me or is Arena just naturally boring? It doesn't fit Gwent right now at all. The whole point of the game is supposed to be around strategy, but every game I've played so far a child could have done just as well. Cards that need other cards to be good you just don't pick, cards that kill another card you do. Simple. All the changes they've done to the game lately actually feel worse in Arena - that every card is a tutor now leads to them being bad arena cards, and the create cards feel if anything more unfair. Every viable card is either massive point spam or removal, nothing in between is worth picking at all. I just don't feel like this mode adds anything of value to the game whatsoever.

Granted I always preferred constructed play when I played Hearthstone as well. Maybe I'm just that type of player. I really wish Gwent had gone down a different road - focusing on Thronebreaker instead would have been better for me I think.

xalaa;n10600162 said:
Frustrating to a large degree.
I don't know why I am always matched with high level players, Lv 88,67,40 .. while I am 12 ?!

I guess this mode tests one's experience with all the Gwent cards, so they can pull out good combos quickly. So I think it will be fun for the high level players, and overwhelming for most low levels. I wish the Matchmaking was more fair, to cover for the gap of experience between high/low players, and the chaotic nature of the mode.

Arena is like a Keg, but you need to play games to open it. A gamble somehow, but at least you get something even if you didn't win at all.

Because matchmaking is based on the number of current run Arena wins. If a level 100 player just started his Arena run, you have a chance of going against him. Pretty dumb.

Decided to test it on PC. Got a decent-ish deck and got 2 wins. So I decided to switch to PS4 and my primary Gwent account. Got one of the worst decks I've seen. managed to get 3 wins and 1 loss so far but probably because my opponents were pretty bad. Because a deck like that shouldn't win anything.

First deck - Eithne Shupe = awesome, easy 9 wins.

Second deck - Harald + Cahir = decent but broke contract early.

Third deck - Kambi + Eredin = stupid deck but I love dropping kambi. I had the option for double kambi but didn't take it because I wanted to see if Shupe came up. Sadly not.

I'm still playing and enjoying it. The whole point was to give an alternative to constructed. And that it is. No more netdecking. No high synergy deck thinning cards. Its something different. So it works for me

My personal experience over 6 attempts is utter crap... not even accounting for the frequent disco's on a rock solid fiber connection. it's random piled on random piled on random. even the rewards are nonsensical when I can go 0-3 and get better rewards than 2-3.

Also, New players beware, stay FAR away, you're better off losing matches with a single round win in casual and earning steady rewards for dailies than burning a keg and a half worth of ore (or worse 2$US) playing the trash pile lottery at a disadvantage of understanding the possible interactions.

They should lock out Xbox players until they fix the connection issues. It's awful. Every xbox player I run into either disconnects or somehow skips a turn without passing or playing a card. Connection issues are bullshit.

After a few modest runs I like it ok. It's something I'll probably spend ore on a few times a week just for shits and giggles. I've been playing almost ONLY monsters since closed beta though so on one hand all these other cards are foreign to me and I'm playing like a jackass. On the other hand, it's very fun to play all these cards I'd normally never play.

Hmm, played my third shard today and I don't think arena is for me. Gwent to me is a skill-based card game, where I build a deck with a certain strategy in mind that I want to put in use playing against an opponent. It is a battle of minds using the limited resources available. Not only must I adapt to my opponent's deck, but also to what cards I have in hand, graveyard and deck. That's what enjoy when playing Gwent. If I want to try something out I play casual, if I want the challenge I play ranked (against somebody usually having a similar skill level to mine). If I am good enough I'll progress.

Arena throws all that out of the window and I don't even know to what end. Sure I get a legendary, if I manage to win 9 times, but the investment to get to this point is at least for me, just as big as just opening kegs and hoping for the legendary, or in the end having enough scraps to craft one. Both things I can achieve playing the normal mode. And if I just want to play for fun, I'd rather play casual and hone my skill rather than card bingo which to me has no clear purpose (since I don't find it entertaining).

Simply not my cup of tea.

Arena is too much randomness in deck building at the moment to be fairly enjoyable. Sometimes you face a 10 gold deck when you have 2... Would be much better if everyone have 4 gold / 6 silver and 15 bronzes like in any other deck but still had 3 choices from all factions to choose from.

They should make arena contribute to the daily round wins since if not this pretty much puts off casual players who are better off getting their 100 ore from playing casual. Also do people know how the rewards scale based on the number of wins. Because sometimes you arguable get better rewards for a lower amount of wins...

No Title

Beernchips;n10610822 said:
Arena is too much randomness in deck building at the moment to be fairly enjoyable. Sometimes you face a 10 gold deck when you have 2... Would be much better if everyone have 4 gold / 6 silver and 15 bronzes like in any other deck but still had 3 choices from all factions to choose from.
100% agree. Players should be under the same conditions. Otherwise we just have rng in square, where u can predict zero cards in arena. Thats just too bad even for game in beta

sad arena is sad

Attachments

• photo200672.jpg
    photo200672.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 78
Is it possible to leave your arena run, and resume it another time? I really enjoy arena, but I find playing (potentially) that many games one after another can be pretty draining.

I'm pretty sure you can't.. I just thought I would double check.

Legendarum;n10612932 said:
Is it possible to leave your arena run, and resume it another time? I really enjoy arena, but I find playing (potentially) that many games one after another can be pretty draining.

You can exit any time you want, as long as you don't break the contract.
You can even take a break for a few days and then continue your Arena run.

devivre;n10612962 said:
You can exit any time you want, as long as you don't break the contract.
You can even take a break for a few days and then continue your Arena run.

Oh wow, that wasn't what I expected. That's grand. Thank you for the info!

Always the same BS. Wins who gets the best draws. Skill does not belong to this game. I draw 4 golds, my opponent draws 8 and all the silvers! GG!

Last edited:
Ic3Purple;n10614392 said:
Always the same BS, wins who gets the best draws, skill does not belong to this game. I draw 4 golds, my opponent draws 8 and all the silvers, GG!

The variance is too huge. Luck is too important. The coin flip is even worse in Arena.

That being said I like the concept of Arena. Using all factions and having lots of golds is a good time. They have to balance it at some point though.

coralzombie;n10609792 said:
They should lock out Xbox players until they fix the connection issues. It's awful. Every xbox player I run into either disconnects or somehow skips a turn without passing or playing a card. Connection issues are bullshit.

I am an xbox player and I can verify this as accurate. I haven't had any major issues today but I'm not going to hold my breath. CDPR really dropped the ball on this launch unfortunately. Oh and I did freeze on the loading screen twice today trying to play ranked. I wish devs could put their games onto consoles with the same quality as PC.

Mnorojo;n10609422 said:
I'm still playing and enjoying it. The whole point was to give an alternative to constructed. And that it is. No more netdecking. No high synergy deck thinning cards. Its something different. So it works for me

I don't see how anyone can complain about net decking but be fine with the ridiculous variance in Arena. At least in constructed decks the game feels more fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
StrykerxS77x;n10615012 said:
The coin flip is even worse in Arena.

I have to disagree with that. If you get the blue coin, just dry pass. You won't get the last say, but, at the same time, you have less of a risk of going down one CA.

4RM3D;n10615162 said:
I have to disagree with that. If you get the blue coin, just dry pass. You won't get the last say, but, at the same time, you have less of a risk of going down one CA.

Yeah I already knew that strategy but isn't NEEDING to give up a round just prove that the coin flip is worse?

Top Bottom