So I just reached (pro) rank or not so pro afterall....

+
I just wanna document some of my thoughts in here, just started playing this game about 3 weeks ago.

As per title, I just reached pro rank with 3 homebrewed and pretty much "meme" decks meaning, not following meta at all.

Playing through ranks 1-7 can be considered one of the toughest and throughout these ranks are where I noticed I had amended my decks again, again and again just to be able to "counter the meta".

And I finally did it.

So, moral of the story: It's entirely possible for newbies to GWENT to reach pro rank with whatever fancy deck you can create with whatever scraps and RP you guys have. I know I did. I just bought the premium, that's all, despite watching several streamers who are so called in "pro" ranks, but they are still humans are still very much susceptible to mistakes and misplays. (That's exactly how I motivated myself to keep pushing forward).

So you can do it too, with any motivation and mine was just getting the sweet 25 RP at the end of the season.

And p/s GO and accept whatever regulations for pro rank in options if you are grinding for it. Don't make the same mistake like me and maybe dozen of others who maybe doing it and getting frustrated if you don't reach the rank. Frustrations will cause you to make frequent mistakes no matter what deck you are playing, tier 0, tier 1, etc or some meme like mine.

Reaching pro rank in this game is easy because system is stupid as hell. when i was around rank 4, i've lost 6 in a row while all my pieces required to rank up were in absent. It still didnt kick me back to rank 5. They've made ranking up easy so players will find enough motivation to play this imbalanced trash. [ . . . ]
Post automatically merged:

Couldn't agree more! glad to finally see a post not moaning about meta decks because they cant deal with them! congrats on pro rank!
people are mostly moaning about meta decks because they make game boring. They can be countered by some strong cards in your deck. but i don't wanna see same god damn deck in each god damn match and i dont wanna play with same god damn strategy. This approach totally limits my creativity when building deck. i dont know maybe you own only one deck and happy to play it in each game but i find that thing boring and wanna play with different cards. With current meta i can only use somewhere around 15% of my cards efficiently.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more! glad to finally see a post not moaning about meta decks because they cant deal with them! congrats on pro rank!

Yeah man, I mean nothing in life is perfect man. Instead of whining NG, SY, ST etc etc are OP, nerf this, nerf that, that energy could be instead redirected to asking oneself how do I win?

If it takes you to play SY to win, then go ahead, what's stopping you?

I know my homebrewed NG deck carried me way to the end. (Without scenario, and without bribery). And it has a very good winrate vs syndicate and other NG's. Think I don't need to post any stats here to prove a point as rank itself speaks :D (but hey I'm just another newbie to the game- just started 3 weeks ago :) )

If it takes you to play SY to win, then go ahead, what's stopping you?
Because it's boring. It has only one way of playing. No brain included. You just gotta do same thing over and over again instead of using your brain when playing SY right now.

as rank itself speaks
Rank doesn't speak in this game because system is horribly designed. You can easily reach rank 0 even around 40-45% winrate, just playing a lot since it doesnt kick you back.

Since you are a newbie. You might be having fun right now. But it will bore you to death in no time.

You can easily reach rank 0 even around 40-45% winrate [...]

That's not true. You'll need at least an effective winrate of +50%. I say "effective" because, for the sake of argument, you can lose many matches (on purpose), sticking on the first mosaic and then reach rank 0 with a 1% winrate, technically. No, it still doesn't count.

Rank doesn't speak in this game because system is horribly designed. You can easily reach rank 0 even around 40-45% winrate, just playing a lot since it doesnt kick you back.

Since you are a newbie. You might be having fun right now. But it will bore you to death in no time.

I think it does speak a ton.

Copying meta decks without knowing how to properly play them are perhaps the biggest of reasons why people never progress.

And yes, I'm having fun thrashing good ol- SY and poison balls NG. LOL with my own secret recipe. (and yeah, that double scenario thing is imo still rather OP, but I managed...)

It doesn't bore me at all, because my deck's lineup is actually pretty strategic and requires brainpower to play. A good brain exercise I think, for the covid 19 lockdowns. At least I know I won't go braindead anytime soon. :D

rrc

Forum veteran
Well, congratulations @Wuhan_Warrior! 3 weeks is quite impressive! I still remember when I first reached pro rank. It is exhilarating and extreme pressure to reach from full mosaic Rank 1 to Pro Rank. May be one day we will meet in the match making!

Well, congratulations @Wuhan_Warrior! 3 weeks is quite impressive! I still remember when I first reached pro rank. It is exhilarating and extreme pressure to reach from full mosaic Rank 1 to Pro Rank. May be one day we will meet in the match making!

Yeah man, it's stressful af, to top it up, when you know you made some misplays, I have been cursing myself non stop.... Then when I didn't know about that option of the rule which you *need* to accept from CDPR before you can go into pro rank....

GOSH!!! Those moments. Not sure if I wanna remember those moments but it's pretty exhilarating I can tell you.

Yeah if you meet some meme decks during your matchups, one of them is probably gonna be me. XD

And thanks for the wishes too.

I just wanna document some of my thoughts in here, just started playing this game about 3 weeks ago.

As per title, I just reached pro rank with 3 homebrewed and pretty much "meme" decks meaning, not following meta at all.

Playing through ranks 1-7 can be considered one of the toughest and throughout these ranks are where I noticed I had amended my decks again, again and again just to be able to "counter the meta".

And I finally did it.

So, moral of the story: It's entirely possible for newbies to GWENT to reach pro rank with whatever fancy deck you can create with whatever scraps and RP you guys have. I know I did. I just bought the premium, that's all, despite watching several streamers who are so called in "pro" ranks, but they are still humans are still very much susceptible to mistakes and misplays. (That's exactly how I motivated myself to keep pushing forward).

So you can do it too, with any motivation and mine was just getting the sweet 25 RP at the end of the season.

And p/s GO and accept whatever regulations for pro rank in options if you are grinding for it. Don't make the same mistake like me and maybe dozen of others who maybe doing it and getting frustrated if you don't reach the rank. Frustrations will cause you to make frequent mistakes no matter what deck you are playing, tier 0, tier 1, etc or some meme like mine.
Almost anyone can reach pro Rank in this game. The true challenge is after that. Being top 500 or 250 or even less. Reaching pro Rank is easy as hell in gwent.

Almost anyone can reach pro Rank in this game. The true challenge is after that. Being top 500 or 250 or even less. Reaching pro Rank is easy as hell in gwent.

You may want to take it up with the complainers and/or those people complaining about balance/nerfing, etc.

Also, mind posting your stats? Can't seem to find them on playgwent.com

Pretty big words there for a fresh user tbh, and im still a noob. Anyone can say anything here, but if you're to be taken seriously, you've got to back up your words here.

Edit: oh wait, saw you posting on other threads criticizing people who were complaining about balance, and saying they are not even on pro rank. Now, u came into this thread and said it's not a big deal. Just spotted an attention seeker here lol. Ok, fine. I will probably reply you after u posted some of your stats. Otherwise I will just ignore.

Last edited:
Reaching pro rank in this game is easy because system is stupid as hell. when i was around rank 4, i've lost 6 in a row while all my pieces required to rank up were in absent. It still didnt kick me back to rank 5. They've made ranking up easy so players will find enough motivation to play this imbalanced trash. [ . . . ]

people are mostly moaning about meta decks because they make game boring. They can be countered by some strong cards in your deck. but i don't wanna see same god damn deck in each god damn match and i dont wanna play with same god damn strategy. This approach totally limits my creativity when building deck. i dont know maybe you own only one deck and happy to play it in each game but i find that thing boring and wanna play with different cards. With current meta i can only use somewhere around 15% of my cards efficiently.

I have 1/2 decks per faction barring a couple, I do get bored playing 1 deck absolutely, im just more open to using different things and more of the mind of wanting to beat the meta decks more than most I guess, I love a challenge!! hate it when somethings easy and I can do what I want when I want, to me personally that's boring, beating people at their own game! Now for me that's fun!!

You may want to take it up with the complainers and/or those people complaining about balance/nerfing, etc.

Also, mind posting your stats? Can't seem to find them on playgwent.com

Pretty big words there for a fresh user tbh, and im still a noob. Anyone can say anything here, but if you're to be taken seriously, you've got to back up your words here.

Edit: oh wait, saw you posting on other threads criticizing people who were complaining about balance, and saying they are not even on pro rank. Now, u came into this thread and said it's not a big deal. Just spotted an attention seeker here lol. Ok, fine. I will probably reply you after u posted some of your stats. Otherwise I will just ignore.
I dont need to backup any of my words. This is not a police interogation lol. And the fact that you didnt find my profile is because i am using a different name on the Forums than ingame. But for your tremendous curiosity i am top 260. And yes! I am netdecking. Good luck reaching this position with meme improvised decks. And yes! I will always bash this game and its balance issues unless devs do something about it. My position was reached by playing meta decks. This is the heart of the problem this game has. That in order to climb, you are forced to play what majority is playing. This is where balance comes in. Or out. I dont consider myself a pro Gwent player and I am sure i couldnt have made it here by playing meme decks. Meme decks work until u reach pro Rank. After that, for a consistent win rate % you need to play the meta decks.

Congrats for reaching pro Rank tho its not something hard as I said in my reply. My son is 12 years old and he reached pro Rank from Rank 11 just by playing nr uprising. No biggie!

Congratulations!
I've been playing for a couple of years, since closed beta, and never reached it. But I never really tried, so that may explain XD
As for the complains, I don't think I complain that much, and presently it's a little funny because I've rarely seen that many different decks that attract that much hate at the same time, so maybe that's the more 'balanced' we've had in a while. I say balance because I can't find another word, because the game is clearly not balanced at all, but at least there are viable decks in (almost) every faction now. Still, there is only about one, maybe two viable deck in each, which still makes the game repetitive.

The thing is, when homecoming launched, and the game exited beta, all the cards were changed so that there were almost no more tutor, and the decks were made more unpredictable. A year later, the game is back to having so much tutoring and thinning that any deck plays almost always in a defined sequence, and you always manage to get what you need. So all the games look the same and end up being kinda boring.
I don't think I ever play gwent without doing something else at the same time anymore...

What was your winrate then ?
Did you get any sleep ? ;)

Hmm I think it was about 55% or so. But I was experimenting a lot as I build my decks. Because as mentioned, none of them are meta decks. And those decks that work well in like rank 10 and above don't seem to do well at the lower ranks and vice versa (even those meta decks can lose to some beginner bronze giant decks lol).

So yeah. But throughout it all, there were countless mistakes which I made and at least I realized it and improved on it. Maybe that's why.

Congratulations!
I've been playing for a couple of years, since closed beta, and never reached it. But I never really tried, so that may explain XD
As for the complains, I don't think I complain that much, and presently it's a little funny because I've rarely seen that many different decks that attract that much hate at the same time, so maybe that's the more 'balanced' we've had in a while. I say balance because I can't find another word, because the game is clearly not balanced at all, but at least there are viable decks in (almost) every faction now. Still, there is only about one, maybe two viable deck in each, which still makes the game repetitive.

The thing is, when homecoming launched, and the game exited beta, all the cards were changed so that there were almost no more tutor, and the decks were made more unpredictable. A year later, the game is back to having so much tutoring and thinning that any deck plays almost always in a defined sequence, and you always manage to get what you need. So all the games look the same and end up being kinda boring.
I don't think I ever play gwent without doing something else at the same time anymore...

Don't know about beta though, I only joined this game like early of April tbh. Only heard about it because of Thronebreaker on Steam. Otherwise I wouldn't have. Thanks though. In fact it isn't that hard to bring a Tier 2 deck and go on pro ladder. That is, if you can minimize your mistakes. My deck is by no means tier 1 though. I didn't spend any $$$ on kegs, but just the premium and managed to scrap together some 3 rag tag decks lol, poor me.

It was never my goal to reach rank 0. I just wanted to reach at least rank 7 for the half decent RP award. But as I played I just progressed, it got MUCH harder when i reached like rank 4-5 and realized I could actually go all the way to rank 0. Games got so much stressful especially when I needed to complete the last mosaic piece. That's when I started making tons of mistakes due to stress and frustrations. Lol. Hmmm, but at least I don't just blindly jump and rage on the forums about something which I find hard to counter being OP, imbalanced, etc etc. I actually took the time to look through each of the neutral cards, studied the metas more, look into streamers playing my deck's weaknesses, etc. So yeah, tons of homework to git gud I think haha.

Last edited:
This is the crux of the problem. It’s not so much what I/we build and play, it’s more what you’re constantly facing in matches leads to boredom.

Be interested to see just how non-meta your (wuhan’s) non-meta deck(s) really is (are), and whether you’re still here banging the Gwent drum in a month’s time after playing against the same decks ad nauseum. Maybe you just like the grind and playing the same deck over and over...

Congrats! Reaching rank 0 after 1 month is quite a feat. Gwent needs more players like you, players who, instead of crying about OP decks, just get good and get creative.

Congrats! Reaching rank 0 after 1 month is quite a feat. Gwent needs more players like you, players who, instead of crying about OP decks, just get good and get creative.

Heh. Honestly I only heard about Gwent because of Thronebreaker. Bought it off steam, at first was pretty demotivated as I realized the rewards for certain achievements in Thronebreaker couldn't be carried over because of different platforms, etc.

I don't know man, I mean I just have fun with whatever.

The deck that carried me is actually a shupe-radeyah deck if you are curious. I just like those random RNG's. I do have bad games when they don't go my way though :D

But I've had fun games where the opponent just threw the game when I pulled off some random stunt clearing his entire board, for instance. Lol . Meh, not giving a GG to a meme deck like mine is really rude. Those tryhards.

This is the crux of the problem. It’s not so much what I/we build and play, it’s more what you’re constantly facing in matches leads to boredom.

Be interested to see just how non-meta your (wuhan’s) non-meta deck(s) really is (are), and whether you’re still here banging the Gwent drum in a month’s time after playing against the same decks ad nauseum. Maybe you just like the grind and playing the same deck over and over...

I believe I have posted in your thread about my winrates with 3 of my own homebrewed decks. With the season ending, and the sweet 25 RP's I will be able to brew some more memes and will go to pro again next season with those decks.

Just watch me, also get out of your "meta head"; that is, only meta's can rank you up. That mentality itself will not help you, neither will crafting meta cards.

That's the fun of playing Gwent, at least for me. I don't follow meta. Meta is boring and for tryhards, imo. But at rank 0 I often encounter others playing experimental decks (esp those who couldn't care less about tournaments like me) so it's really all good fun.

It isn't the same at all with your normal ranked games. I do understand some people's frustration of climbing, no doubt, having went through them myself. The only pointer I probably can give is for you to be creative if you are going anti meta. The surprise factor those tryhards opponents get when they get countered in ways they wouldn't even think of, is such a satisfying reward, for me, especially when they go so fast in the first few turns, some even spamming taunts for you to hurry up, etc, and starts roping when they know they are doomed. :D

Edit: Here, I will just attach the screenshot of my "most memorable winning moment" of how I burned a 15 point Sea Jackal's face off for the pro rank 0. Be my guest, tell me what is "meta" here? (don't worry, i'm not expecting you to reply, because what you're probably gonna be thinking is how lucky I am).

Attachments

• Screenshot (21)-min.png
    Screenshot (21)-min.png
    1 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Haha, most of my decks are Shupe and Radeya too lol. You’ve got me curious now because my most played one is the NG one. :)

Top Bottom