So I leveled to 50 before going to Victor

+
For a little experiment, as soon as I got my car from Jackie I took him for a ride to see if he would do any missions or fighting with me (he did not get out of the car), then I decided to power level to 50 before doing any of the story. This is on very hard.

What I noticed is the level system is a curve, where the first 1-20ish levels progressively get longer, then cap out at around 25, then it takes less to level as you start getting more exp from enemies around 30. Going between groups of 3 by cars I would throw 2 grenades and insta kill, run around a corner and do the same to the other set for about 13-15 seconds between kills. At the longest it took 80 rotations, about 19 minutes, but then around 30 it was getting shorter and shorter and in the 40s it was only about 40 rotations of the kills for about 9 minutes.

I also didn't put any points into my attributes or any cybernetics. Now that I am 50 and started doing the story, the enemies are SUPER hard to fight and 1 shot me. Every enemy scales with you even if they go from yellow, to green, to grey "difficulty". Guns and gear scale with you. What makes you overpowered at the later game are the perks and damage multipliers.

No real information in this post, just found it interesting on the leveling curve and the way enemies scale. Seen a few posts complaining the game needs level scaling, and well...it exists?

I'm a bit confused.

I can't say I've seen evidence of enemies scaling. Grey enemies die extremely easily from any of my higher level gear even when using weapons I don't have any perks for.

Trying to find information of said scaling leads to a whole bunch of contradiction.

Anyone has definitive information on this?

As for OP, shit dude, you're patient. I couldn't imagine leveling all the way to 50 stuck in Watson.

Well put it this way. Grey enemies don't die in one shot no matter how much I level and if I didn't keep getting the "newest" per each rotation they would take even more bullets to kill. They do get "weaker" over time but they still scale with you.

Police events that randomly spawn are level appropriate.

They become "grey" in a sense that they are set to be +/- your level up to a point, then they tether close to your level but never become obsolete.

The districts have set difficulties but I'm pretty sure the story mission scale with you.

There is prolly some maths at work which assume you'll have decent gear past 20, so the Ai damage scaling accounts for that, so you're getting 1 shot.

Enemies on very hard at the start of the game almost one shot you anyway. If you do not use gear (that DOES scale with level, as does crafting), appropriate to your level and have not used your attributes/perks, then level is just a number on the left corner of the screen. I have not seen any evidence that enemies scale with you. There could be some Skyrim style level scaling, where enemies scale up to a point. EG. in Skyrim, if a giant is by default level 25, he will scale between lv. 20 and 30, depending on your level. However if you come across a giant at level 10 he will not be lower than lv.20, and if you cross him at level 50 he won't be higher than level 30.

Having said that i have not noticed any enemy level scaling. It could just be that enemies are quite hard at very hard at the start of the game, and as i said, level means nothing without attrtibutes/perks and level appropriate gear. If you tested before, playing on very hard without leveling and the damage was noticeably lower then you might be right.

I guess my point is, level 5 enemies don't just stay level 5, once you hit 5 they are equal, then you hit 10 and they are still 5 then you hit 15 and now instead of being 5 they are maybe 10. Then you hit 30 and they are somewhere around 25 or so.

They become weaker than you but scales with you still. Otherwise the guns doing 15 dmg at 5 and downing them in 5 or 10 bullets and then at 50 a gun with 500 damage should kill them in one bullet, but it doesn't, they get more health and dmg and exp as you level with you.

Also as you level you passively gain more health (so even though I didn't level any attributes up I still got "stronger") I would continue to loot level appropriate gear every 5 levels or so to keep doing damage if I needed, but mostly I just used grenades to blow up the parked cars because it was faster. I would only shoot them to keep myself entertained or while I was leveling the weapon specific skills. In addition to that, the enemies took more and more grenades to kill them as I leveled, even though grenades scale and do more damage as you level, which goes back to the evidence of enemy level scaling.

Another bonus tidbit. If you don't pick up loot and walk away from it then come back, it resets to it's "base level" so while I was level 40 killing things and a purple item would drop it would be level 40 with me. But if I didn't pick it up and I came back later it was then level 5 again.

Last edited:
They become weaker than you but scales with you still. Otherwise the guns doing 15 dmg at 5 and downing them in 5 or 10 bullets and then at 50 a gun with 500 damage should kill them in one bullet, but it doesn't, they get more health and dmg and exp as you level with you.

That's my point though. I am not seeing this in my game at all. In fact if I pull out a weapon of my level and head into Watson, they do die in a single hit. Heck, if I pull out Comrade I can wipe off an entire group with a single shot even though I have no damage enhancing perk in pistols/revolvers.

I'm genuinely curious as to why there is such a discrepancy between your experience and mine.

P.S. playing on very hard.

i think everyone is playing on very hard

i have to say, i did like the game more in the lower levels...
because enemys did feal harder...

but iam playing more like a ghost taking them out by grappling or slilenced headshots
for me its time to reload if they spot me
and if they spot me and i just wanna press forward, Dying Night and Satory do a hell of a job

p.s.
i hope CDPR dose come up with harder enemys or better AI for them... maybe they should use more granades...
explosions do kill almost instand

Comrade in general hits super hard and kind of the point of that gun, a regular weapon that is level appropriate vs a level 1 weapon should show the disparity. I can go back and do a comparison probably.

I did something similar and you will hate it when you have to shoot the turrets as Johnny on the assault on Arasaka tower in the flashback...they take sooo long to take down.

The most immersion breaking part is, that the spec ops from militec drop crap gear in comparison to gang goons.

It's just hilarious!

Comrade was just one example that I used because while it hits hard, it's area of effect doesn't hit as hard, yet wipes out entire groups of low level enemies. Heck, my comrade isn't even level appropriate as I never "re-crafted" it. Got it at around level 30 and now level 50.

I can pull out pretty much any gun and rip through any low level enemies like a knife through hot butter.

ah... thats why i had problems with the turrets on one playthrou...
1st time i did like 4k damage on those with silverhand guns
2nd time i only did like 20-100 damage
took me ages to get those turrets down
Post automatically merged:

btw.
i do think the biggest problem here is money and components
when you play the game the normal way...
its realy hard to keep you equipment on your level
because you dont have that much money and equipment

if you use cheats (i dont have a problem with using cheats)
or you overuse the crafting system
them game gets to easy

now we all now.. we need legendary shortcircuit
and crafting to be a rich runner

Last edited:
Level 50 in watson only? I am impressed. With level 14-15 all pre-heist sidequests are done in watson and all crime events either.

35 levels only from farming gangmembers sounds like an immense chore and for what, to do any post-heist sidequests in cakewalk mode?

Whats the point of playing on very hard then?

I usually clear all watson before the heist by default because i want to delay the inevitable heist of disaster. But beyond that.. would mean to not gain any exp from post heist quests and fights ... that doesnt make any sense.

If you power level at the start most items also becomes trivial.

You stop looking for style or best armor and only care about legendary and upgrade slots.

I wish the game would offer a mechanic to upgrade every gear in the game to legendary with maximum amount of slots.

I cannot fathom to understand why this is not a feature?

It would allow the player to play V with the style you personally prefer.

I wish the game would offer a mechanic to upgrade every gear in the game to legendary with maximum amount of slots.
i hear you...
if you are on PC
this is maybe for you

At level 4 using a Unity pistol with dmg of 20-24 on weapon I did a headshot of 45 on a target taking off...5%?? of the health bar.

At level 50 using a Unity pistol with dmg of 86-105 on a weapon I did a headshot of 346 to the same target taking off maybe 2% of the targets health bar.

If there wasn't level scaling, woudln't the 346 dmg on that target do more to the same target than the 45 dmg did?

One of the posts above asked why did I do this? I like to experiment and test games for fun. Boundary breaking, understanding mechanics and synergies, finding bugs or unknown ways to do things.

I had a little goal in my head to do this without cheats, so I did it and happy with myself. It ultimately isn't for gameplay purposes at all, and mostly just to do it for my own experiment.

I think information is interesting and learning is good even if this was in something pointless.

Attachments

• lvl4_gear.jpg
    lvl4_gear.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 85
  • lvl4_hs.jpg
    lvl4_hs.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 96
  • lvl50_gear.jpg
    lvl50_gear.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 90
  • lvl50_hs.jpg
    lvl50_hs.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 93
If you power level at the start most items also becomes trivial.

It would allow the player to play V with the style you personally prefer.

If the items become trivial, then why not choose them by style and ignore their stats?

If the items become trivial, then why not choose them by style and ignore their stats?

Because without the upgrade slots you can get one-shotted in certain instances, what would force you to alter your entire play style just to look cool.

That's just plain stupid.

Top Bottom