So, is everybody ready for Skellige domination mark II?

+
Just before we talk about the topic again: Saying to somebody that he is wrong, isn't disrespectful at all. It's just a normal part of a discussion. To interfere into something to correct somebody without any reason, is on the other hand disrespectful.

Now you are still talking only about Vincent, there are many other factions and cards out there. But let's have a look into reality: Harald's passive ability only is enabled in round 3 (+veil). You can reach round 3 in two ways in this matchup:
1. NG wins round 1 and goes into long round 3 --> you most likely lose anyway against ball and enforcers, because they are better in a long round...so Harald or SW or PF doesn't really matter;
2. SK wins round 1 and bleeds round 2 --> so you either use Harald in round 2 without his round 3 ability (Vincent can't target him) or you can keep him til round 3 and win anyways, because he is too strong in a short round 3...so it doesn't matter if you play SW or PF, when your bleed is succesfull;
And you seem to forget that Harald most of the time is targeted by Invo, so against NG he goes often to your opponent.

I had more success with PF especially at an higher fMMR level (2500+). And against SW, your Vincent target is always Herjka, you try to get her and not Harald. So again, all I wanted to say is that PF is an good alternative to SW. In some situations it performs better than SW. In others, SW is stronger.

And to the meta reports: I never said that I know it better (it's a misrepresentation from you), I just wanted to explain to you, what meta reports are and nothing else. To be honest, I exactly said the same thing as the TLG meta report, PF is an good alternative.

Now I hope you came here to discuss about the topic ;)
I felt the urge to interfere because I didn't agree with your statement at all. We're on the Forums, everyone is allowed to answer to nearly everything as long as it's in a respectful manner :) And we shouldn't go on talking because I don't think there will be a satisfactory outcome, just too many different opinions on too many things.

PF enables more control and consistency for R3 but can struggle with R1 so it's not as good as SW in matchups where round control matters. SW could go wild in long R1 because of rezzing. This is the main reason why SW was overall better. It had no real weaknesses and was harder to exploit.

I'm just curious, will SK warriors be playable the moment greatswords will be changed? I dont know, which is why I think developers are reluctant to make meaningfull balance changes, as it would require them to buff other warriors. Making the matter a bit complicated as is.

But given the circumstances, I understand that it is preferable that SK warriors are not playable at all, compared to the alternative, which is that they dominate the meta (even in seasonal - I played the meta deck with Varbjorn as tutor into eagle, with no problem, even the timer didn't stop me).

Last edited:
You didn't have Stunning Blow before? Well I guess with Vabjorn this card should DEFINITELY be in your deck, you could also consider War of Clans. I think the tutor is a buff for SK, making it even more consistent.

Thanks for your advice. Actually in the beginning I had a pure warrior focused deck with the strategy of Greatsword massacre (only not warrior cards: Blood Eagle, Wild Boar of the Sea and An Craine Smith). The reason was to benefit most from the warrior tag via Harald and An Craite Smith. And I was quite successful with this deck in Pro Rank.

Now after the patch the value of the warrior tag was reduced due to Harald´s nerf (No pinging dmg anymore). Additionally two warrior got nerved (Drummond villager and Drummond berserker). I experienced a significantly lower win rate. So I decided to rearrange my deck.

After rearranging my MMR has dropped from 1781 to 1765. Basically, my decision was Hemdall or Vabjorn for Tyrggvi. I finally decided for Vabjorn (and even crafted him) due to his lower provision costs. Additionally, I added Champion´s Charge and Stunning Blow. Stunning Blow I never used before, because there was no synergy with that card (Of course you can easily remove those often used new 7 provisions armoured Masteer Mirror cards). Champion´s charge synergies nicely with Patrimonial Fury due to Bloodthirst 3.

What about war of clans? Well, it has some uses I can maybe trigger Blueboy Lugos again with Drummond villager or revitalize my blacksmit or Tuirseach invader in round 3. Nevertheless, it costs 6 provisions and is kind of expensive for a 4 provisions + 2 dmg card. Furthermore, it can be only used if you have a 4 provision card in your graveyard. If you play a long round 1 and drafted War of clans this card is basically a 6 provisions for 2 damage.

Regarding whether Vabjorn is a buff:
-> If you compare SK raid cards to SC nature cards (tutor Fauve, synergies with symbiose), NG tactic cards (tutor Menno, synergies with Hefty Helge and fire scorpion), NR warfare (synergies with siege engine for bombardement, and with soldiers for bloody fail, tutor Johan Natalis), SY crime cards (tutor Ferko, synergies with tons of cards), MO organic cards (tutor: whisperer, synergies with many insectoide strategies even + 1 insectiode for one leader), SK alchemy (tutor: Mousesack, massive synergies with druid based strategies, also synergies with Greatsword massacre cause of delirium and absud) you see that they not really synergize
-> If you compare to old Vabjorn (who basically killed a damaged unit), one might argue if a simple tutor is stronger. Depending on your opponent´s deck Vabjorn can add much value
-> To my mind the only really valuable raid card is Blood Eagle. Stunning Blow can be nice due to it´s removal potential and Champion´s charge due to Patrimonial Fury.

=> I will try my SK deck a bit but probably switch to Hemdall sooner or later as he better fits to Greatsword massacre.

PF enables more control and consistency for R3 but can struggle with R1 so it's not as good as SW in matchups where round control matters. SW could go wild in long R1 because of rezzing. This is the main reason why SW was overall better. It had no real weaknesses and was harder to exploit.

I don't know if that's true. I keep running into these PF decks that just unload on you in R1 and R2. They don't care about rezzing at all. I had this guy play literally every gold aside from Harald (Hem, Mork, Boar, etc.) in R1, LOSE the round somehow, then still comfortably win R3 without last say. Another guy played pretty much same number of golds, won the round, tried to push R2 and FAILED, so went down a card into R3 and still won comfortably with pretty much just Harald. Hell, I've seen Onslaught played with the same deck and it didn't matter. It's crazy to say, but it seems SK got actually worse from last season. It's completely mindless.

What about war of clans?

Is 5 removal with 3 body when played into An Craite Warrior. I don't like it but it's pretty strong.

Regarding whether Vabjorn is a buff:

It's undoubtedly the biggest faction buff this patch.

I keep running into these PF decks that just unload on you in R1 and R2. They don't care about rezzing at all. I had this guy play literally every gold aside from Harald (Hem, Mork, Boar, etc.) in R1, LOSE the round somehow, then still comfortably win R3 without last say.

I didn't mean to suggest that the deck isn't broken. SK still steamroll everything unless massively misdrawn. But on the rare occasion when it's actually not impossible for them to lose, it's a little harder for PF to maintain round control then it was with SW. Or at least that's my impression after a dozen games. Overcommitting is actually an issue (minor though cuz every SK card is great), and the new inclusions like Champion or Lugos can often be played only after the leader.

Last edited:
PF plus Champion's Charge is instant kill of any unit. Just saying.

Then there is Madman Lugos for instant big value with PF. Or Donar.

Just before we talk about the topic again: Saying to somebody that he is wrong, isn't disrespectful at all. It's just a normal part of a discussion. To interfere into something to correct somebody without any reason, is on the other hand disrespectful.

Hey guys, just to mediate a little, as you are both good posters.

This is clearly a point of cultural difference. I'm going to take a guess you aren't from the same country. This is an international forum after all.

E.g.

To say "you are completely wrong"
Might be okay in say America,
But it will definitely raise a few eyebrows in say the UK.
And if you said something like that in Japan, you would probably alienate half the room.

But at the same time I also agree it's good to give reasons when we disagree with a point.

I cannot even rap my head on what a disappointment this patch has been. Not even this patch, it hurts me to say that Gwent has actually been on a downhill since 3 seasons. New expansion and marketability is good, but at the end players stay for quality, skill and fun. All of which have been missing a while since now. Completely broken, illogical, anti-fun meta.

The developers are still not able to balance the game well. A serious rethinking of the way the game is balanced should be done. They need to change they approach or quality is will keep on a very steep downhill.

Disappointment following a disappointment. Not what we expect from CD Projekt Red

@NatureBoy111

I stand corrected. Current SK might be even more broken than the post-hotfix SW last month.

The reason is that both were only winnable when they misdrew. So details like who has stronger what don't really matter. And SK now has double tutor, and the leader gives it 100% consistency.

I'm just laughing right now at how awful the game has turned out, this is pretty much a case of not remembering the mistakes of the past and being doomed to repeat them.

Pre HC had a lot of these issues.

@NatureBoy111

I stand corrected. Current SK might be even more broken than the post-hotfix SW last month.

The reason is that both were only winnable when they misdrew. So details like who has stronger what don't really matter. And SK now has double tutor, and the leader gives it 100% consistency.
I was quite impressed this afternoon how before the big finishers even came into play R3, this new flavour of SK was able to remove 3 of 4 endrega larvae AND 3 KikiQueens.
I had to just forfeit with 4 cards remaining of R3.
I don't think even Nilfgaard is that good at control.

Bravo CDPR, Bravo.

Payus

Forum regular
How to beat PF:

Step 1
step 1.png

Step 2
step2.png

Payus

Forum regular
How to beat PF? play SK? (well SV, though)

You can run this combo in any deck almost, I just happen to like SV and to do the combo twice with Lippy for extra misery.

The only warriors in my deck are the skirmishers. (Herkja was stolen with Muzzle)

I was refering to the Ihuarraquax/Villentrentemert combo, incidentally the hardest combo to name.
I usually get their Harald or their Wild Boar, none of my units go taller than 5-6.

It doesnt work really well vs the new ciri nova decks, most likely you help them with this combo.

Here's the deck: https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/f2021ad3082df067da13c464099a5b98

Payus

Forum regular
Sorry mate could not resist. Might give it a try since i'm really annoyed :beer:

Not all of Sk is Op, there's a lot of fun to be had with meme decks(the one I posted is a meme deck)

Don't expect to win often but when you draw well and pilot it correctly it can beat almost anything. Specially good vs top heavy decks, as I mentioned you get your value by milling oponent's best cards and distributing their power evenly between rounds. And it fails miserably vs Nova decks.

here i leave you with another memey deck this time based around MM, Allgod and ciri Dash.

in this version you try to use allgod twice to boost Ciri, Kambi and Lippy, win R1 and try to push R2 with ciri boosted as last play of R2.
Then you try to finish with R3 boosted Kambi.

Payus, I love the decks and the fact that you have used your noggin to play around and defeat your problem. A great example for all. Unfortunately, this is a thread for people to thrown themselves down the stairs and claim SK pushed them.

Top Bottom