So much for an "immersive" RPG.

+
It's the only time you have an option, that's what I said
From top from my head. I recall there's at least one time this option is available, it's though that NPC's are hell bent to go forward with their plan regardless.

the whole point of this game is to show you HOW POINTLESS fame and money could be when you know you will die.... imagine you will die in few months... are you really spending what's left of your time chasing to have more money? better cars? be more famous????

Currently that's what side content is.
Post automatically merged:

I living my life with a chronic disease.
I know exactly how pointless money and fame is.

Unless the solution cost a lots of money.
For exemple there is a world of difference for treating a joint problem between someone poor who have to rely on pain reliever and "cheap" surgery and someone who have enough money to access to cartilage cloning technology.

Last edited:
Baldur's Gate was 1998, games have improved a heck of a lot in that 23 years. Every time a game does something better than previous generations, then the bar is raised. Games following better at least do as well if not go beyond what previous games have done, if nothing else at least come close. Otherwise they've not done the job well and might as well have not done it at all.

Don't disagree at all with this statement. Still, having branching paths on quests based on dialogue option etc. has nothing to do with an RPG game, even going back to tabletop dungeon crawlers from the 80s. It can be included as a feature on an RPG, but it cannot and still be a very deep RPG. Few RPGs have a deep focus on that aspect. Dark Souls is arguably the greatest Action RPG of the last decade. Even though your "actions" can affect the world very deeply (you can just kill Andre, and not be able to upgrade physical weapons ever again. Just like that, no warning), it featured zero DIRECT choice and consequence system. Skyrim which was on of the most influential RPGs of the last decade also didn't have such focus alot.

Don't disagree at all with this statement. Still, having branching paths on quests based on dialogue option etc. has nothing to do with an RPG game, even going back to tabletop dungeon crawlers from the 80s. It can be included as a feature on an RPG, but it cannot and still be a very deep RPG. Few RPGs have a deep focus on that aspect. Dark Souls is arguably the greatest Action RPG of the last decade. Even though your "actions" can affect the world very deeply (you can just kill Andre, and not be able to upgrade physical weapons ever again. Just like that, no warning), it featured zero DIRECT choice and consequence system. Skyrim which was on of the most influential RPGs of the last decade also didn't have such focus alot.
No, but if you are going to say "Hey, look. We have conversation choices" but the conversation choices aren't even half as well done as they were in your own previous game, then why put them in at all? Since it's not an RPG, why not just have a completely linear story with no choices like the Arkham games or the Force Unleashed games?
When you give the illusion that you have a choice that could change the story, but the illusion is so thinly veiled you can easily see the story isn't changed, then you destroy any possibility of immersion.

Not a big fan of RPGs. Genuinely asking: what makes an RPG?

I used to play Final Fantasy when I was a kid, which is a turn based JRPG, but its far as my knowledge about RPGs goes...

To be honest I dont care if CP77 is RPG or Action-Adventure or sth else, I think that in these times these different genres can learn from eachother and include some mechanics used in other genres. Which we see sometimes in other games.

Still many, many things including crafting, leveling system and damage system in weapons and so on, could be done better in CP77, maybe not even in an RPG way, but still work in an RPG game, I think.

I know there are some RPG-purists out there saying: "Its not real RPG if its not DnD with magic, swords and dragons!" xD or sth but I dont think that's a universal definition of an RPG.

Dude... haven’t you heard this game is a 9/10 on PC?

A lot people on this forum are saying this game is fantastic and that CDPR did an amazing job

Why make good games with complex mechanics when you can take crap and sell it to people to enjoy?

You need to study a little more before post things... RPG is not about that thing called “immersion”... it is about ray-tracing dude

When I used to play D&D, Cyberpunk, Vampire, I remember rolling the D20 to see how perfect my reflection would look like

Immersion... pfff

In my view, having played countless PnP, tabletop and computer RPGs for 2 decades, is the option of creating a build, or a character archetype that changes how you deal with the tasks, objectives, encounters etc. thrown at you by the DM, or the scripted quest. In a more clasic DnD environment you can have a mage archetype, or a cleric, or a rogue etc. all of them deal differently with the encounters, both in combat or outside of combat.

As the years went by, RPG elements were added on action games, but eg. on Assasin's Creed, no matter if you can level or have a skill tree, you are still an assassin. Just one archetype. Or on TW3 you are a witcher. You do not fundamentally change how you deal with the objectives.

On Cyberpunk you have 3 clear archetypes that play very differently.
- The gun user (equivalent to the Ranger)
- Melee player (equivalent to the Warrior roughly)
-Net Runner (Equivalent to the Mage roughly)

All 3 can be played either as guns blazing aggressively (cold blood, investment on tankiness etc.) or more stealthy, and of course you can mix and match and make hybrids. Obviously other RPGs have way more archetypes, and far more subdivisions. As i said the archetype is not limited in combat, but all the encounters. Some RPGs dont feature combat at all but there are still achetypes that change fundamently how you deal with the objectives.

However, the key is that you have the freedom to create an archetype that differentiates how you deal with the content, but there it is not required or even frequent that you can directly influence the outcome of the story/quest/world state. You might on some, you might not on others (arguably more)

This is what I signed up for some eight years ago :

Dump.JPG
(GOG game screen - screenshot taken today)

I hadn't noticed that they changed it to:
"Cyberpunk 2077 is an open-world, action-adventure story set in Night City " (cyberpunk.net)

And if I had, I would probably not have bought it... Now I expected it to be a witcher like game in a Cyberpunk environment and I kept myself unknowing of what it was not to spoil the experience. Bummer me.

A RPG is where you create, or is given, a character with a history and a goal, that interacts with others (friends or computer).

It's not stats, character development (stat or skill point) or items.

A RPG is interacting with those around you, making friends and enemies, exploring and overcome adversities. You play a ROLE, preferably the way you like but sometimes within constraints.

As it is, CP2077 is not a RPG...

the whole point of this game is to show you HOW POINTLESS fame and money could be when you know you will die.... imagine you will die in few months... are you really spending what's left of your time chasing to have more money? better cars? be more famous????
Right!
That's why there's only a handful of Joy Toys in the game, and you get spammed constantly to buy yet another vehicle. To further get the message across and emphasize the pointlessness.

In my view, having played countless PnP, tabletop and computer RPGs for 2 decades, is the option of creating a build, or a character archetype that changes how you deal with the tasks, objectives, encounters etc. thrown at you by the DM, or the scripted quest. In a more clasic DnD environment you can have a mage archetype, or a cleric, or a rogue etc. all of them deal differently with the encounters, both in combat or outside of combat.

As the years went by, RPG elements were added on action games, but eg. on Assasin's Creed, no matter if you can level or have a skill tree, you are still an assassin. Just one archetype. Or on TW3 you are a witcher. You do not fundamentally change how you deal with the objectives.

All 3 can be played either as guns blazing aggressively (cold blood, investment on tankiness etc.) or more stealthy, and of course you can mix and match and make hybrids. Obviously other RPGs have way more archetypes, and far more subdivisions. As i said the archetype is not limited in combat, but all the encounters. Some RPGs dont feature combat at all but there are still achetypes that change fundamently how you deal with the objectives.

However, the key is that you have the freedom to create an archetype that differentiates how you deal with the content, but there it is not required or even frequent that you can directly influence the outcome of the story/quest/world state. You might on some, you might not on others (arguably more)
Ok, thanks for the answer. So it's mainly about the Role that the player can play? Hm...:think:
So it doesnt seem that CP77 is RPG, more action-adventure... There are options and archetypes but they are so open and dont change much.

So there are no RPG purists? I thought I saw these kind of people somewhere:-/

To be honest I dont care if CP77 is RPG or Action-Adventure or sth else, I think that in these times these different genres can learn from eachother and include some mechanics used in other genres. Which we see sometimes in other games.

A RPG is where you create, or is given, a character with a history and a goal, that interacts with others (friends or computer).

It's not stats, character development (stat or skill point) or items.

A RPG is interacting with those around you, making friends and enemies, exploring and overcome adversities. You play a ROLE, preferably the way you like but sometimes within constraints.

As it is, CP2077 is not a RPG...

For me what TouPoutsou makes sense, but I remember these discussions from Mass Effect forums and the problem is, there is no consensus. So why there's no consensus? Different opinions? probably. Uninformed people? maybe so. Or because the whole point is just to keep the goal moving?

Moving goal enables lots of angles, lacks this, lacks that, isn't really, isn't true, they lied... and deflect everything incoming with simply making whatever definition of an RPG fits the agenda and that works because there's no consensus. Simple but clever.

I think CDPR has pretty good knowledge about certain element among their core audience. So Action adventure and then. Good call, that one. I think I might like these guys.

Top Bottom