So much negativity around Homecoming on gog.com

+
Guys 1 star means game is garbage. I think you review without thinking. This game is not garbage. Is it so hard to not vote influenced by feelings?
I want ed to give this game 3 stars, but i rate 5 because angry People rated 1 star undeserved

Guys 1 star mea s game is garbage. I think you review without thinking. This game is not garbage. Is it so hard to not vote influenced by feeling?
I think people are comparing it to Gwent, so in their mind it is garbage, simple as that.

And BTW - 1 or 2 stars it doesn't matter that much, when resounding percentage of the feedback is negative.

Internet 101, where almost everyone gives either a 1 star or 5 star rating. Metacritic has been like this since its inception, eons ago. Because it's easy to rage, but actually giving constructive feedback requires too much work.

this guy on reddit said better than me ,,
There's a difference between being disappointed in the direction and the game actually being 'bad'.
But many people will just vent on the reviews apparently without actually giving any credit to what might be 'good' about the game. I mean I hate FPS games, but I wouldn't bother to comment on them anywhere because my opinion on if any particular iteration of whichever one it is isn't founded on an actual understanding or appreciation of what they do."

It's just like leaving a review to your ex.

That's where all the 1-star review come from...

Yeah, if you broke up with her because one night you went to sleep the girl of your dreams and then woke up the next morning laying next to a deformed Shrek like variation of her that acts completely different.

Totally the same.
Post automatically merged:

Internet 101, where almost everyone gives either a 1 star or 5 star rating. Metacritic has been like this since its inception, eons ago. Because it's easy to rage, but actually giving constructive feedback requires too much work.

Internet 101 - Anyone who is even slightly affiliated with a certain product remains partial toward it regardless of how down trodden it becomes.

The player base have provided feedback in mass over the endless terrible patches the game has had and it has never been listened to. So why, in all
honesty, do you think they would provide it now?

But wait.
Even now, as you falsely state that constructive feedback is too much work-- upon quickly scrolling through 10 pages of one star reviews I can clearly see that they all still provided at least a paragraph of text as an explanation to why.

Internet 101 - Ignore fact when defending your favourite internet thing, even if it is dangled in front of your face over and over again.

Last edited:
Because it's easy to rage, but actually giving constructive feedback requires too much work.

We're been giving constructive feedback from day 1 of CB. It has led to this.

We've stayed with them through the unbalanced patches, the 2 months apart fixes, the mid-winter fiasco, the HC reveal skepticism and the drought of 6 months. Throughout the beta we've been one of the most comprehensive and positive communities in a world of vicious gaming communities because we loved the game and we trusted CDPR (with a lot of fanboyism in the middle). And they delivered a turd in response.

Can you actually name more than a handful of major suggestions actually implemented throughout the old gwent, let alone the new HC? From the top of my head, not rly no. If they did, their communication have not been good pointing that out, but that could just be my skewed point of view since i've been a critic of the gwent communication team for quiet a while now.

Last edited:
Internet 101 - Anyone who is even slightly affiliated with a certain product remains partial toward it regardless of how down trodden it becomes.

I am not an avid defender of Homecoming, though I do like certain aspects of it, mostly the provision system. It's just that I want to shed light on different aspects which might have slipped past some players, like the advantage of the previously mentioned system.

There is one thing where you are wrong, though. It has nothing to do with me being affiliated with CDPR, but rather with how I am as a person. I don't have any torches or pitchforks in arms reach. Instead, I try to look at both sides and try to see how it has come to this. My connection with CDPR is only relevant in that it has allowed me to have more information available (some other NDA), which allows me to better judge the situation.

Even now, as you falsely state that constructive feedback is too much work-- upon quickly scrolling through 10 pages of one star reviews I can clearly see that they all still provided at least a paragraph of text as an explanation to why.

Most of those paragraphs being hollow. At least it's not as bad as Metacritic. But still, those one star ratings are mostly based on emotions rather than objectively assessing the game. One star means garbage. You can say a lot about Homecoming, but garbage it's not. I can understand that players dislike Homecoming because it's not Gwent. But that doesn't automatically mean it's a bad game, it just means that it's something those players didn't want.

We're been giving constructive feedback from day 1 of CB. It has led to this.

Well yes, there are those that do give constructive feedback and it's surely appreciated.

EDIT:

Throughout the beta we've been one of the most comprehensive and positive communities in a world of vicious gaming communities because we loved the game and we trusted CDPR (with a lot of fanboyism in the middle).

CDPR has been under fire for quite a while now. No matter what they do, however good their intentions are, they are met with hostility. Of course, even among that, there is still a community that cares. One could even say that the outrage is because players care so much. The "quality" -let's call it that- of the community is something for CDPR to... admire. I am more of a bystander in that regard.

Can you actually name more than a handful of major suggestions actually implemented throughout the old gwent, let alone the new HC? From the top of my head, not rly no. If they did, their communication have not been good pointing that out, but that could just be my skewed point of view since i've been a critic of the gwent communication team for quiet a while now.

There have been many changes that players have asked for in beta. But it's tricky to say how big an impact the community had on those changes. As such, neither of us can really make a point about it.

Last edited:
I think a 3,5/5 is pretty solid for a game with this negativ feedback so far. Not all games could get 4,5+/5 because only 5 and 4 stars are voted.
My personal view would be 2 points for the game itself. -1 for CDReds path which lead us here. And i didnt even reviewed it at gog. So i higher the average by not voting.

In the moment there is a little war going on in the gwent world. Oh man, that happens when we are overinvested in a game. Humans, what a strange species....
Just take a minute and let your mind wander to the really bad problems of our present (climate changes, poverty etc.) and you will realize something:
Gwent is the holy grail and nothing else matters :)

Last edited:
But keep in mind that the oldest reviews are from september 2017. HC rating would probably more around 2.x.
You beat me to it, i was about to post the same thing!
I found it very amusing that 5/8 5 star reviews in the first 20 pages were, more or less:
Title: Best game ever!
Date: M/D/2017 :D

So, yes, the overall 3,5 rating is pretty misleading.

Sorry, 2 cents is all i have, so here is my 2 cents, since Gwent HC so lack of tutor card, i can't control my decks any more, everything now is depend on whether or not that i draw the card i need before my opponent do, Old Gwent is not like that, Just bring back all the tutor card, and may be things will get better.
P/s: there is already so many uncontrollable thing in real life, and now my deck is out of control too, urrrrrr for Gwent sake CDPR do something, bring back my tutor.....

Last edited:
I think consumers perfectly capable of leaving an accurate review of what they think. I think many are emotional about the state of Gwent, I can understand why. I think emotions do also play a part in a review, although as I always advocate, individuals should state their bias to alleviate miscommunication that may otherwise occur.

In saying that, people are usually intelligent enough to match up that a player review is from someone who has (usually) played the game they are reviewing.

I do not think it wise or intelligent to belittle customers.

-

Personally, in regards to Gwent changes, having a customer's feedback can be very useful, but ultimately the game designers must keep true to the foundations of the game; to maintain the principled integrity of the system itself. It is tricky business because customers usually have (large) sentiments of the truth adapted in their feedback, but often miss or overlook other components of the truth in relation to the game unintentionally.

Game Designers must have a strong sense of direction regardless of the consequences to produce a truly magnificent game. And no, changing the game multiple times is not a strong sense of (new) direction, but rather, the contrary.

Playing devils advocate here but whilst a lot of players on these forums are certainly vocal I dont know for how many people they actually speak. I like homecoming just fine because its all I know. I think homecoming is very newb-friendly. My suspicion is that the naysayers are people who felt they were really good under the old system and don't like having to start over so any major overhaul is going to upset them no matter what it is. I think theres also a lot of jaded card game veterans who only value a game for its tactical depth and enjoy looking at spreadsheets and charts , when for the vast majority of players they'll probably find homecoming accessible and fun. At the end of the day, people who fell in love with Gwent and have been CDprojectreds core fan base have come over from the Witcher, not hearthstone. Appealing to fans of the latter probably wasn't the highest priority.

My suspicion is that the naysayers are people who felt they were really good under the old system and don't like having to start over so any major overhaul is going to upset them no matter what it is
I never was good, and never played a lot. But i had fun at my ranks (about 15). Now the fun is missing.

Playing devils advocate here but whilst a lot of players on these forums are certainly vocal I dont know for how many people they actually speak. I like homecoming just fine because its all I know. I think homecoming is very newb-friendly. My suspicion is that the naysayers are people who felt they were really good under the old system and don't like having to start over so any major overhaul is going to upset them no matter what it is. I think theres also a lot of jaded card game veterans who only value a game for its tactical depth and enjoy looking at spreadsheets and charts , when for the vast majority of players they'll probably find homecoming accessible and fun. At the end of the day, people who fell in love with Gwent and have been CDprojectreds core fan base have come over from the Witcher, not hearthstone. Appealing to fans of the latter probably wasn't the highest priority.
Not really. The old version was instantly fun and addicting. I originally had no intention of spending money but it was so fun I dropped more than other game I've played. It's now no fun, like painfully not fun. I never played past rank 19 before because I played strictly my own decks, I played an ogre deck today on ps4 that was a blast, decks like this are dead on homecoming as well as any variety now in how matches play out.

Top Bottom