So… no cloaks?

• Yes, its a great touch! Please CDPR put them in

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • No. I'm fine with not having cloaks

Votes: 31 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So… no cloaks?

Today we got a look at the inventory grid and it seems there is no slot for cloaks :( and by cloaks I mean the kind you throw over your armor like in the killing monsters trailer.
I was very happy when I heard Mamais say last E3 that cloaks would be a thing, if you are also one of those people who would enjoy having them in the game make you opinion be heard here.

Last edited:
I do want cloaks in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. So I voted yes.

I really love having cloaks in medieval video games and fantasy medieval video games.

From the pre E3 2014 YouTube video the Wild Hunt look like they have cloaks on their armor.

How do you put the scabbards under the cloak ? Geralt's swords were on his horse in the CGI trailer, it's just not possible for him to carry his swords and wear a cloak at the same time.^^
Probably this the very reason why they are not in the game.

From an asthetic point of view, this would surely look awesome while fighting - especially with Witcher-like movements - if the proper physique is implemented.
Problem here: no sane man would fight with a cloak flapping around, if you are using such a style.
The swords would obviously either clip, or the cloak would be more capelike and hang lower, defeating it's purpose.
Solution: a slit in the cloak for the swords?
like this, the scabbard also holds the cloak, preventing it from flapping around too much to obscure Geralt's vision significantly, while distracting the enemy and disguising part of the foot movement?
but this might end in either a hell of a clipfest of a huge load for the GPU/CPU while fighting or moving quickly

I guess in the cold regions the armour will simply be fitted with more patting and fur, rather than cloaks.

Why on earth would a witcher let himself be restricted by a cloak in combat. Even in the Killing Monsters cinematic he takes it off before engaging in combat.
What you just said gave me a idea.

If you are wearing a cloak and get into combat maybe Geralt of Rivia automatically will take off his cloak in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt like in the Killing Monsters CGI video or something like that with animations.

This would require an animation to take place - I'd rather have no cloaks and be battleready at all times, from a Geralt point of view.
It it's cold, change the armour accordingly?

This would require an animation to take place - I'd rather have no cloaks and be battleready at all times, from a Geralt point of view.
It it's cold, change the armour accordingly?

Now THAT would be an awesome feature!! It would even add variety to our equipment since we would have to choose 2 sets.

Because it wasn't in a 5 minute demo of a 100 hour game, it's not included, right?

It's more because there was no trace of something that could accomodate a cloak in the invetory UI and not the fact that we haven't seen an actual cloak in the demo

But no doubt the UI is a WIP. So cloaks still might be in.

How do you put the scabbards under the cloak ? Geralt's swords were on his horse in the CGI trailer, it's just not possible for him to carry his swords and wear a cloak at the same time.^^
Yep that was my same thought. Yes cloaks are cool & I like the idea but how could it really work in the game?

I voted yes, but I only want it if there are wet-cloth effects.

It bugs me when you just wade into a knee high water and your clothes look completely dry.

If done right it could be neat, but cloaks are a nightmare to implement properly. They would have to be physics based objects, and with the way Geralt has his swords (and other weapons) on his back and actually draws them out of a sheath, I just don't see cloaks working on Geralt without extensive work. Also it would be a further hit to performance, and would probably look odd with Geralt's flapping hair.

It's really not worth the effort IMO, but other humanoids where it would be simple to implement could sport cloaks.

All of you talking about a hindrance in combat, Geralt could actually use the cloak....

It was a style of combat back in the day to use cloaks when fighting with a sword or dagger, the cloak would be used in your off hand and could be used to both hide your incoming attacks , defend (bind/entagle the other guys sword), or knock away his attacks.

IE: A simple google page showing some:
http://www.hroarr.com/brief-notes-on-using-the-cloak-with-the-rapier/

It might be possible that CDPR deigned armors sets with build in cape, hoodie or cloaks. Reason why you can have another layer on top of long amor. It just doesnt play out. There might be problem with cloaks in fight as longest he puts it back when ever he fight or throws it away in one move when picking up sword, perhaps blinding enemy move? throw it at his head. it could workout only on light looking armors like one presented on E3. As longest it doesnt make him too to swag.

If thats not the reason. One more slot in the inventory would be nice. It wouldnt have any massive stat boosts maybe some minor or eg. cloak XYZ reduces monster detecting you by 32%.

Top Bottom