So stats are tied to clothing

+
Loads of painfully annoying game mechanics that were put in because of technical limitations, which shouldn't really be so at this modern day and age. Simply poor design that needed to evolve.
How are stats being tied to items an objectively poor design choice, in your opinion, as opposed to being a personal preference?

Well, yes but it doesn't mean things are set into stone, you can make improvements on the original formulae.
Look at JRPG for exemple, battles used to be a bunch of characters facing a bunch of enemies, taking their turn one after the other but now it evolved into semi real time and most people prefere that.

I mean, it's kind of the point of making a new game, you don't try to clone previous games but make better ones with more polished mechanics.
That's a fair point. However, I have come to expect equipment to have stats tied to it in RPGs, and I personally quite enjoy that system and having to consider whether looks are more important than statistics. And so, in my opinion, removing this element would not be an improvement and indeed it would be a regression.

How are stats being tied to items an objectively poor design choice, in your opinion, as opposed to being a personal preference?

Because statistically people who would want appearance to be personal choice are in the majority. It is an objectively poor design choice to put something that most people don't want, in your game. Especially when you can't have both at the same time.

As I wrote elsewhere, there are AAA-games which monetize themselves entirely off cosmetics. They are making hundreds of millions just off cosmetics. This should tell how important appearance is to people. Apperance is a way of representing yourself, which is why I think it is so important.

The game is going to need mods badly. Fortunately, I "think" that one of the popular community tools is in the process of being updated for it.

That's a fair point. However, I have come to expect equipment to have stats tied to it in RPGs, and I personally quite enjoy that system and having to consider whether looks are more important than statistics. And so, in my opinion, removing this element would not be an improvement and indeed it would be a regression.
Which is fair enough but as I said, you don't even have to drop that system at all.
You can give your equipment stats and still allow the player to change the way they look (kinda like changing the skin of your character in a fighting game, for exemple).

It doesn't even force the player to do it either, if someone is down with the original skin of an outfit, they can just keep it but it would have been nice to give us the ability to redesign our gear.

Hopefully, for us crafters anyhow, we'll be able to craft our own armor and choose the look. If that is the case then we may be able to create aesthetically pleasing armor that also has decent stats.

Perhaps the idea behind clothing was the same they had for vehicles? "You can't just create/find what you want. You gotta hunt for what you want for hours/days to find what suits you just like in the real world."

I'm a little confused. Why are there 4 pages of reaction, people hoping this won't be true. When the original post doesn't have any actual information to back it up. I've just spent the last hour watching videos and reading articles getting ready for launch and the is ZERO information claiming stats are tied to clothing. Only that some will offer some defense buffs. That's it. You can dress how you want, your stats will be unaffected.
Someone mentions a Gamestar Review that went into this, but I could not find that. All I found from them, specifically on this, was in their 100 questions. All they said was clothing is not tied to stats. May offer defense buffs. Same as other sources.
Let's all take a breath. There is nothing to see here.

I'm really not opposed to stats tying to gear, because it does feel weird to transmog heavy armor into a sun dress, but I just hope they have a lot of different styles like light/med/heavy for all the different aesthetics.

Wait a minute, didn't they say that clothes have an armor slot and you can remove the armor mod and place it in a new coat?

Didn't they literally say that?

I guess we'll see what the situation is in a couple of days.

Some do and some don't it seems. Depends on the base quality of the item.

Given that an inability to upgrade certain gear items seems like a common point of criticism across many reviews, it appears stats are mostly baked onto items and the ability to upgrade lowbie items whose appearance you like is quite limited.

This is particularly unfortunate considering a major theme in Cyberpunk is style over substance. Limited upgrade options and no transmog utility creates a situation where players are forced to choose substance over style, turning their edgerunner into a clown in the process.

(or lowering the difficulty mode, so cool-looking gear with bad stats can still suffice)

Some do and some don't it seems. Depends on the base quality of the item.

Given that an inability to upgrade certain gear items seems like a common point of criticism across many reviews, it appears stats are mostly baked onto items and the ability to upgrade lowbie items whose appearance you like is quite limited.

This is particularly unfortunate considering a major theme in Cyberpunk is style over substance. Limited upgrade options and no transmog utility creates a situation where players are forced to choose substance over style, turning their edgerunner into a clown in the process.

(or lowering the difficulty mode, so cool-looking gear with bad stats can still suffice)

Why lower the difficulty, just up your own skills to compensate? Be diverse, adapt a little.
I plan to run around in a trenchcoat, if there even is one, if it effects my planned gunfighter build I will just have to improve my own stats to make up the gap.
The difference between one, two or 3 slots surely isn't going to be an absolute tragedy, besides I like a challenge anyway.
One reviewer has said all gear can be upgraded to Legendary, I have seen no evidence for or against at the moment though and I have watched a lot of leaks.

Decisions should have consequences, if a player wants to be a meta man, then it should maybe come at the price of looking like a clown.

wait for mods, I suppose, go in and replace the line of your ugly coat with one that looks better, but keeps the stats

disappointing that CDPR would go back on their word on this, it should have been a default feature, as they have said

yea the best part of a game like this NOT wearing "realistic" armor . All games should come with the option wear jeans and and a t shirt instead of bulky "realistic armor" or mismatching pieces.

Freedom of choice should be a fundamental game design principle. In other games you can be tank in a dungeon in swimwear.
The Devs said this would be a game were fashion was important I guess that's just something else that got "cut"

things like this is why I canceled my pre order and waiting till later to see if i even want to play the game .

This is a fantasy video game. There has to be a point where realism gets thrown out the window and character creation and fashion are two of them

83dfe043903b9837ad0137da72ae7e1f.jpg

It depends on how it's done. It make sense that a tactical vest gives me stat bonuses than a simple shirt. But if a shirt is a "legendary" item and has better stats than a full Arasaka military gear, then it's a problem.
Well, Gamestar gave an example where hot pants had more armor than heavy jeans for some reason ...

Well, Gamestar gave an example where hot pants had more armor than heavy jeans for some reason ...
that cliche has been around for 20 odd years, everyone knows the skimpier the gear, the more protection it offers

Maybe CDPR should also consider set bonuses, so matching clothing/armor give you more benefits than a wild mix.

Top Bottom