So... the Blightmaker?

+
Yes, I do. Not too often, and mostly unranked - but it keeps the air fresher for me.
that's great then, ofc I was exaggerating when referring to "EVERYONE" to make a point, and I think competetively it would definitely be the way to go bc it increases your average provision per card that you play, thats all.
Post automatically merged:

I’m not going to argue whether Blightmaker/assassin is stronger than other thinning packages — it certainly is. But I will argue that if you think NG has too much thinning potential, the correct change would be to hunting pack or impera brigade, or even dead man’s tongue — anything but one of the few cards I’ve seen introduced since I started playing that moves Gwent in a beneficial direction.
sure mate youre entitled to your opinion :beer: I was just reading this thread and noticed how there was a huge discussion about whether this was a 11 for 5 or 11 for 9 and gave my 2 cents

so do you also play decks with more than 25 cards for hand variety? I never see anyone ever do that

And I do rather frequently (admittedly mostly in the context of playing quests), but I almost always have cards I actually want to play that I have to omit, not because of provisions so much as the 25 card soft limit. I do wish there were more mechanisms to benefit larger hand sizes so playing more than 25 cards would be as viable as playing only 25.

because it's simply the way gwent is designed, 4ps are supposed to be the bottom tier of cards
I maintain that the notion that 4 provision cards are (or should be) nothing but worthless mulligan fodder to enable more provisions for top cards is presently the biggest scourge on Gwent as it increases draw-dependent RNG, reduces decision making during the game, and reduces deck variety. Of course, provision costs should reflect a card’s value, but all cards need to be meaningful. The recent expansion shows that the developers are beginning to think the same way as many new, low provision cards are a step above previous cards.

Last edited:
I maintain that the notion that the notion that low provision cards have to be garbage designed solely to allow more high provision cards in a deck and to, themselves, only be mulliganed away and not played is (next to the over-powered high provision cards) the biggest scourge on Gwent as it increases draw dependent RNG, decreases play decisions, and reduces deck variety. The recent expansion presents evidence that the developers have also come to see that as most of the bronzes are a step up from previously existing cards. “4ps are supposed to be the bottom tier of cards” is, I suppose true in that more provisions should reflect better cards” but the sense that you imply — that they should be worthless trash, is your (I believe faulty) conception.
No I didnt imply 4p cards should be worthless trash but they are supposed to be the objectively worst cards in gwent. that doesnt mean they are or are supposed to be useless. but cdpr starts making 4p cards that are better than most 6p cards (witch apprentice), then the provision system becomes totally arbitrary and pointless.

No I didnt imply 4p cards should be worthless trash but they are supposed to be the objectively worst cards in gwent. that doesnt mean they are or are supposed to be useless. but cdpr starts making 4p cards that are better than most 6p cards (witch apprentice), then the provision system becomes totally arbitrary and pointless.
No, it means older cards need to be updated (or simply become obsolete).

Witch apprentice does worry me a bit — not so much because of how it compares to older cards, but because it might make entire decks OP. A two point per turn engine is very strong and this one appears hard/expensive to shut down. Time will tell — but this is getting off-topic.

Last edited:
alright i am ress this discusion, but affter almost one month its clearly broken this combo.

Devs should change it. The player put "at least" 9 points on board (almost all the time does 2 damage) and thin a 4p card, with only a 5p card.

For comparasion, coral in skirmisher puts 10 points, does 2 damage But you need a 8p card and also she is a gold card with only one use.

And, of course, the coral/skirmisher combo its harder than the blightmaker/mage combo.

So whats going on with this cards?

I really know some other cards need to be reworked/nerfed, and of course SY/jackpot, but i dont think there is more broken combo than this. If your opponent gets the 2 blightmaker in first round its really hard to win that round or you need to commit a lot. (in compare, your opponent only use two 5p cards and thinned his deck)

I am very tired of arguments that we cannot have bronze cards that matter. Bronze cards should be the soul of the game — not deadweight to hopefully mulligan away. Blightmaker/assassin is a very strong combination (neither card is spectacular on its own, so at most the combo should get nerfed). Thus I agree developers should shuffle tags to break this particular combination — on the day after they nerf all the disproportionately powerful gold cards. To help out, here is a partial list of gold cards much mor in need of a nerf than this combo.

Shupe’s Day Off
Oneiromancy
Portal
Radeyah
Regis
Alzur
Geralt: Professional
Geralt: Yrden
Geralt: Igni
Korathi Heatwave
Royal Decree
Ciri Dash
Vesemir: Mentor
Geralt: Quen
Cure of Corruption
Triangle within a Triangle
Ciri: Nova
Matta Hu’uri
Iddaran
Dudu
Leo

And that just takes us through neutral cards. Faction specific cards are worse.

Guest 4375874

I am very tired of arguments that we cannot have bronze cards that matter. Bronze cards should be the soul of the game — not deadweight to hopefully mulligan away. Blightmaker/assassin is a very strong combination (neither card is spectacular on its own, so at most the combo should get nerfed). Thus I agree developers should shuffle tags to break this particular combination — on the day after they nerf all the disproportionately powerful gold cards. To help out, here is a partial list of gold cards much mor in need of a nerf than this combo.

Shupe’s Day Off
Oneiromancy
Portal
Radeyah
Regis
Alzur
Korathi Heatwave
Royal Decree
Ciri Dash
Cure of Corruption
Matta Hu’uri
Iddaran
Dudu
Leo

You are correct as far as bronze cards go but the problem occurs when I need to play several gold cards to keep up with two bronze cards. It's almost always played twice in the same round so how do I match a bronze card that generates 22 pts in only 2 turns. That's not to say Blightmaker is the only culprit because SK is also guilty of this as well as NR Blue Stripes. But to say these cards aren't spectacular on their own misses the mark entirely because that applies to all other thinning card, only none of those play for 11pts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shupe’s Day Off
Oneiromancy
Portal
Radeyah
Regis
Alzur
Korathi Heatwave
Royal Decree
Ciri Dash
Cure of Corruption
Matta Hu’uri
Iddaran
Dudu
Leo

I agree with you the core in bronze and gold should be less.

But untill there, or devs should buff other bronzes or devs should nerf the gold cards and blightmaker.

For now, blightmaker its better than a lot of golds. I gave an example about one gold card that performe in the same way and blightmaker its much better.

For ther cards you posted there, i dont agree with a lot of the cards.

Shupe - its a 13p cost, with a huge setup needed and also a RNG fiesta. I cant see why this card needs a nerf (the same goes to radeyah, but i think radeyah more consistent).
Portal - 12 provision to thinntwo 4p cards and put them on the board. Whell, i think its ok and need a lot f setup too (doenst have more than two 4p cards or, at least, have cards that combine with portal)
Regis - with his iniciative nerfed i think he is ok (in fact, no one plays it anymore).
Alzzur - for me its a meme card. Of course can be powerfull in some decks, but also needs a lot of setup
Royal decree - a single (not eco) tutor for 10p i think its "ok".
Ciri dash - when she was used with veil in carapace i could agree that was too much. Now i think she is ok, she gets almost the same value as damien.
Vesemir mentor - with his adrealine tag i think he is "ok"
Geralt quen - a tutor for 10p - 2 body (better than royal decree) but only works with witchers.
Triangle within Triangle - i think its an "ok" card, but i dont have more comments to it.
ciri nova -- well i hate her, but i need to admit she needs a lot of setup and also you telegraph for your opponent you dont have cards with 10p or more.
matta - since she gives to the opponent one card too, she is really ok. I remember someone made a huge post about her, explaining how bad is she for give one card for the opponent.
Idarran - aybe he can be 9p (or have 5 base power), but for the rest i think he is ok
Dudu - too much situational and RNG
Leo - well with leo i agree he needs to be nerfed, but i think only in provisions. Also, since the provision will up, maybe he can be 5 base power.

For the rest of the cards i didnt comment its because i agree with you they need a nerf

[...]
I am very tired of arguments that we cannot have bronze cards that matter.
literall no one is saying that (other than you implying people would say it). feel free to quote anybody claiming bronze cards should be garbage.
here is a partial list of gold cards much mor in need of a nerf than this combo.

Shupe’s Day Off
Oneiromancy
Portal
Radeyah
Regis
Alzur
Korathi Heatwave
Royal Decree
Ciri Dash
Cure of Corruption
Matta Hu’uri
Iddaran
Dudu
Leo
this list is, for the most part, completely ridiculous. you're saying Dudu needs a nerf before blightmaker/MA combo? this card has seen play in one deck since homecoming and that is NG vyper meme. shupe is almost never played, so is radeyah, so is alzur, so is geralt pro, so is royal decree, vesemir is played only in one NR deck, ciri dash sees literally no play, CoC is fine at 8p, quen is fine at 10p, triangle is fine, and all the remaining cards are fine.
what you're basically saying here is nerf EVERY gold before nerfing this combo,I dont even know what to say anymore.

edit: half of the cards you listed need a buff, if anything.

Last edited:
Honestly, the Blightmaker Combo are guaranteed 9 power (in 3 bodies) + 2 random damage + thinning for 5 provisions (and another "free" 4 provisions unit).
Old Speartip, however is 12 power whithout thinning in one body for 12 provisions.

I really hope that this combo will ne nerfted next patch

Yes, this is and was obvious since the very moment they revealed the Mage Assassin, I called it out instantly and most people agreed.
It's incorrect to say it's a "9 provisions for 11", since you only play ONE (meaning you dedicate only 1 turn for the combo) of the two cards, you don't have to play both, like for example those ST 8 provision cards with the Elf Woman (Etriel) and her lynx where you have to have access to both in the same round (and you have to dedicate TWO TURNS for the combo) AND one has to be alive on the board lol (At least for the Crones you can use their effects in other rounds, but even so each Crone has to have her own turn dedicated and freshly buffed crones give pretty damn great point values). I find it fasctinating that we even have to argue about this lol.

Thinning out a 4 prov card (whose only purpose is to be thinned out) = increasing your chances to draw more impactful, higher provision gold cards = awesome.

Last edited:
Yes, this is and was obvious since the very moment they revealed the Mage Assassin, I called it out instantly and most people agreed.
It's incorrect to say it's a "9 provisions for 11", since you only play ONE (meaning you dedicate only 1 turn for the combo) of the two cards, you don't have to play both, like for example those ST 8 provision cards with the Elf Woman (Etriel) and her lynx where you have to have access to both in the same round (and you have to dedicate TWO turns for the combo) AND one has to be alive on the board lol (At least for the Crones you can use their effects in other rounds, but even so each Crone has to have her own turn dedicated). I find it fasctinating that we even have to argue about this lol.

Thinning out a 4 prov card (whose only purpose is to be thinned out) = increasing your chances to draw more impactful, higher provision gold cards = awesome.
Yes.

And i bet with you devs will not nerfed in next month because "they need more data to analyse"

Top Bottom