so , the dream of a TRUE and great Cypunk MMO stays a dream...

+
so , the dream of a TRUE and great Cypunk MMO stays a dream...

don´t take me wrong, i am very excited to see this game coming, and i´ll buy it just for the setting^^
i was also very excited to see shadowrun returns and shadowrun online.... but a little disappointed that it´s gonna be a Unity game, which "castrates" the many possibilities that a cyperpunkish setting as SR potentially has... for example, i´ve been dreaming for ever being a rigger driving my team to the job in my overly tuned and, armed and armored vehicle... things that won´t happen in SR online, because it´s been played on tons of small maps/ zones and not in an open city...

well, i hope that all those games (CP 2077, SR:R, SR:O, DeusEx:HR and such) will make this genre popular enough to make a TRUE cypunk MMO happen, and before i am 80 and can´t play games anymore :D and...please dear gods, not by one of the evil megacorps that tend to ruin the good franchises ;)

For a good CP MMMO to happen, we have to see a good MMO happen. Has there been an MMO that doesn't involve constant grinding through mind numbingly samey content over and over again?

yea well... for the most part you are right... but there are some games that have at least some good basics in them, but screw it up because they don´t dare to go other ways than the mainstream... but the whole MMO genre is about to change anyway, because more or less the classic MMO grinder´s days are counted....

i am sure, if a developer would really try, it would be possible... iam very curious about CCP´s World of darkness btw... maybe they can start a revolution :D

For a good CP MMMO to happen, we have to see a good MMO happen. Has there been an MMO that doesn't involve constant grinding through mind numbingly samey content over and over again?

I´m totally with you. MMO´s need a serious overhaul and i don´t expect it too happen anytime soon. Even Guild Wars 2 bored me after a month. I am very glad that CP 2077 won´t be an mmo. I think it will feel like a mixture of The Witcher an Deus Ex. Hopefully more open world though.

This pretty much sums it up. I haven't touched an MMO in at least 3 years because the average MMO's gameplay is about as fun as running into a wall repeatedly.

While I can be a bit of a WoW addict from time to time, I have to agree that the MMO is yet to see its full potential get realised. I think it'll be better in a few years when content is easier (faster) to produce, and the customers will have upgraded their hardware some more.

But what about this: an MMO based on Dune? :cool:

Somehow I can't imagine the majority of the MMO player base being able to really get Cyberpunk. Having played MMOs for quite a bit now, my honest opinion would be that turning Cyberpunk into an MMO would take all the punk out of it.

I mean...

Style over Substance. Can you imagine loot-hungry raiders choosing Style?
Attitude is Everything. Whining isn't "attitude".
Always take it to the Edge. When over half of the player base would be PvE carebears, where would there be any Edge?
Break the Rules. ...and get banned straight away when someone reports you. Good game.

Yeah. Until MMOs are something else than they've been so far, a Cyberpunk MMO will truly be only a dream.

Well I'm sure most MMO players would dream of 'plugging' in. But no. Really not much good for telling stories, and thats why i play.

No MMO games from CDPR!!! There are 3000 other MMO's on the market who failed to succeed. Waste of money are man power.. most important waste ot time!

With MMO games it's either you are the best on the market and you are successful or your mmo sink after few months. It's relay too big of a risk for studio like CDPR. They should stick to what they do best, rich rpgs with great writing.

Somehow I can't imagine the majority of the MMO player base being able to really get Cyberpunk. Having played MMOs for quite a bit now, my honest opinion would be that turning Cyberpunk into an MMO would take all the punk out of it.

I mean...

Style over Substance. Can you imagine loot-hungry raiders choosing Style?
Attitude is Everything. Whining isn't "attitude".
Always take it to the Edge. When over half of the player base would be PvE carebears, where would there be any Edge?
Break the Rules. ...and get banned straight away when someone reports you. Good game.

Yeah. Until MMOs are something else than they've been so far, a Cyberpunk MMO will truly be only a dream.
The last two can be easily fixed by the publisher.
Always take it to the Edge. Make much of the world open PvP. Like EVE Online (for instance). You will get enough non-carebears to add the edge :D. A few gankers are enough that everybody has to watch their back.

Break the Rules. Don't have stupid rules. Allow being nasty as long as it is in the game context (but not outside).

Of course, publishers frequently don't get it. They get a development studio to create a game that is set in an anarchic postapocalyptic scenario, and then they enforce kindergarten rules for politeness. FAIL.

I think CDP are one of the few companies that can pull off a MMORPG. Not that "log in, do dailies, queue for instances" theme park bull, but an engrossing, persistent, sandbox world, in the style of UO, EVE and SWG. CDP are not afraid to push the technological envelope, to experiment with their own designs, and they're great with community interaction, traits almost every big MMO developer of the last 5 years has lacked.

And they're brave, they throw themselves at challenges like building their own engine, going multiplatform, going open world, seemingly without hesitation. I'm sure if they decided they want to make a MMO, they'd find a way to make one. It all depends on whether MMORPGs are something they're passionate about. For the sake of what used to be a monumental genre, I hope they are.

Eve Online which is a sandbox MMO. The fun is what you make they are also working on an MMO based of a PnP game also World of Darkness.

If CDProjekt ever makes an MMO I want a SANDBOX game.

i guess anarchy online was kind of cyberpunk-ish, but honestly until i see a big breakthrough in mmo technology i would rather not ruin the genre.

Gamigo is making Otherland MMO cyberpunk/fantasy/sci fi mmo. They already had 2 closed betas, which I wish I was invited to. I do feel for OP, I have been wishing for MMO with the world of blade runner or total recall the movie that just came out. I just don't see it happening. Either It is too complex at the moment or they don't believe it will make money so why waste their time.

That's a functionally unavoidable flaw in the MMO genre for one very big reason - game developers will NEVER be able to put out content for a game faster than the players can go through it. Unless, of course, the players don't mind rushed content full of glitches and bugs and such.

Think of it this way. For sake of argument, let's say when making it from scratch with no pre-made ingredients such as canned tomato sauce, a quality pizza takes about an hour to make and serve to four people. Those four people will be able to eat that pizza in much less than an hour. No matter how good the chef is, he can never give them pizza fast enough that they will have fresh pizza before the previous one is gone. At some point, they'll just have to wait and nibble breadsticks while they wait for the new pizza to finish baking.

So quit complaining there's no pizza and eat the breadsticks, it'll be ready when it's done. Either that, or we'll give you some half-baked/half raw crap that'll be technically edible but not at all fun to eat.

I'd dearly love to see a truly great CP MMO. But the nature of those games is often counter to truly immersive gameplay. They are designed for mass market appeal to assure there's enough regular cash flow to maintain themselves, and they also must develop content to be applicable to everyone. That usually makes it pretty generic, which in turn, makes those games grind fests.

But the idea of a persistent Night City is something that is pretty attractive. I just don't think it's really feasible. At least not without selling out and killing those very things that make Cyberpunk so great.

That's a functionally unavoidable flaw in the MMO genre for one very big reason - game developers will NEVER be able to put out content for a game faster than the players can go through it. Unless, of course, the players don't mind rushed content full of glitches and bugs and such.

Think of it this way. For sake of argument, let's say when making it from scratch with no pre-made ingredients such as canned tomato sauce, a quality pizza takes about an hour to make and serve to four people. Those four people will be able to eat that pizza in much less than an hour. No matter how good the chef is, he can never give them pizza fast enough that they will have fresh pizza before the previous one is gone. At some point, they'll just have to wait and nibble breadsticks while they wait for the new pizza to finish baking.

So quit complaining there's no pizza and eat the breadsticks, it'll be ready when it's done. Either that, or we'll give you some half-baked/half raw crap that'll be technically edible but not at all fun to eat.

Agreed. People also tend to forget that another reason for grinding is to keep you paying.

Agreed. People also tend to forget that another reason for grinding is to keep you paying.

Not necessarily so blatantly-malicious as "to keep you paying", as there are many free-to-play MMOs out there, but they do need folks to keep interest enough to want to keep playing, and dangling the RNG-drop loot carrot is the best way to do that.

Has there yet to be a MMO as successful since WoW? Nope.

I am literally one of the biggest MMO nerds ever- I've tried them all. I practically live and breath them. But unfortunately in short a successful MMO needs to have accessible graphics so the majority of people can access the game in order to make the game actually feel massive you need a massive population of players so the beauty of a Cyberpunk MMO would be lived by like a couple thousand people.

People "raiding" or "PvP'ing" just to get a new piece of gear that gives them +10 more HP or whatever kills all immersion and just makes the game turn into a cesspool of elitist pricks.

The day a virtual reality MMO-console comes out is the day MMOs will actually shine again. Until then every new MMO is simply going to be swallowed up by World of Warcraft because releasing a new MMO with the same grind fest mechanics nobody is going to care about after reaching the cap and demanding new content aka dungeons with more pointless loot so you can flex your e-peen to others with lower gear scores.

Top Bottom