So, the update has come. What's good to play now?

+
So, the update has come. What's good to play now?

I made some topics asking about what decks to play, but that was before the update. Now that the patch is live, I imagine that the playing field has changed quite a bit.

I was recommended Consume Monsters, but I still don't have Succubus or Regis for it, or many of the Epics, so I am holding off from that for a while. I do, however, have 2000+ Scrap burning
a hole in my pocket, so I figure I should make something better than my homebrew Broover Hoog deck, which is beginning to not cut the mustard.

Any suggestions post-update? Also, I think I have asked this before, but does Gwent have a deck import function? Would make things a lot easier. Either that or a way to view my Collection
so I don't have to keep on manually writing what I have and don't have here...

First off, there is no deck import function, unfortunately.

As for which deck to play, it really depends on your taste and on which cards you already own. Believe it or not, but this patch is the first one where are factions are viable until pretty high up in the ranks.

A few popular decks:
- NG Reveal
- ST Spell Dwarfs
- NR Radovid Control (he's back again)
- MS Consume
- SK Discard

As for Monster Consume, you don't need Succubus or Regis. I have a Consume deck myself and I no longer use Succubus. Caretaker is usually pretty nice and Ge'els for consistency.

So, which Silver and Gold cards do you own? Let's start with that.

4RM3D;n9122100 said:
First off, there is no deck import function, unfortunately.

As for which deck to play, it really depends on your taste and on which cards you already own. Believe it or not, but this patch is the first one where are factions are viable until pretty high up in the ranks.

A few popular decks:
- NG Reveal
- ST Spell Dwarfs
- NR Radovid Control (he's back again)
- MS Consume
- SK Discard

As for Monster Consume, you don't need Succubus or Regis. I have a Consume deck myself and I no longer use Succubus. Caretaker is usually pretty nice and Ge'els for consistency.

So, which Silver and Gold cards do you own? Let's start with that.
Just decided yesterday to cut caretaker from deck. He is not giving me great value anymore like in the past patch. Still not sure what to replace him with though.

Michelazz;n9122290 said:
Just decided yesterday to cut caretaker from deck. He is not giving me great value anymore like in the past patch. Still not sure what to replace him with though.

You cant just replace one card with another just because. You need cards to synergies with each other and without knowing what cards is in your deck it's hard to recommend something. The only thing i can say for now is that Caretaker is of low value right now. In the current meta there's too few ways to use him to a great value. Dorfs? Nothing to steal except resilient defender. Consume? Nothing to steal except maybe water hag which is very situational. Radovid Control? Most cards are spells. The only useful steal is Cynthia in round 3. Most of the time she will reveal a buffed spotter.

Last edited:
I've been using MS Consume until today, I keep having bad hands with no Arachas Behemoth :( Now experimenting between Dwarves and Dagon.

fostdecile;n9130050 said:
I've been using MS Consume until today, I keep having bad hands with no Arachas Behemoth :( Now experimenting between Dwarves and Dagon.

Dagon is very strong.

General recommendations ( cards ) :

Yen
Triss's Butts
Woodlandspirit
Ciri ( you need a CA with this deck )
Renew
Geels

Crones
Fire Elemental
Decoy
Horn
Bekkers Mirror
Frightener
Water Hag

Celaeno Harpy
Foglets
Nekker Warrior ( > foglets )
Arachas
Earth Elementals
Fog
Thunderbolt Potion

nunqmuo;n9130510 said:
Dagon is very strong.

General recommendations ( cards ) :

Yen
Triss's Butts
Woodlandspirit
Ciri ( you need a CA with this deck )
Renew
Geels

Crones
Fire Elemental
Decoy
Horn
Bekkers Mirror
Frightener
Water Hag

Celaeno Harpy
Foglets
Nekker Warrior ( > foglets )
Arachas
Earth Elementals
Fog
Thunderbolt Potion

I've milled my Renew card when it can be fully refunded :( I thought it would work on Unseen Elder but it didn't, so I milled it - still doesn't know how to utilise it though.

Cheapest deck to try out is probably sergeant ATM. Phillipa is there already, get a bunch of sergeant, bs commando, infantryman, reaver scouts and redanian knights you whatever silver and gold you want will take you far. Get an igni as it is pretty useful for everything. Monster swamp is the new thing. You basically use harpy and fire elementals plus triss and renew, royal decree and geels to abuse your weak units swamp. That one is expensive to run though.

nunqmuo;n9129930 said:
You cant just replace one card with another just because. You need cards to synergies with each other and without knowing what cards is in your deck it's hard to recommend something. The only thing i can say for now is that Caretaker is of low value right now. In the current meta there's too few ways to use him to a great value. Dorfs? Nothing to steal except resilient defender. Consume? Nothing to steal except maybe water hag which is very situational. Radovid Control? Most cards are spells. The only useful steal is Cynthia in round 3. Most of the time she will reveal a buffed spotter.

That is exactly what i meant and why i cut caretaker from deck. In the past patches, caretaker used to save me from many situations especially when stealing a weather removal card. Now its value diminished greatly as no one is playing anymore cards that you can benefit from stealing.

I replaced it with renew.

fostdecile;n9130050 said:

i reached rank 18 yesterday with my consume deck. I think there is something wrong with urs. If you are struggling to find a behemos in ur starting hand , add more. I play 3 behemos + monsters nest for an additional behemos in case the mulligan was bad.

Michelazz;n9131820 said:
i reached rank 18 yesterday with my consume deck. I think there is something wrong with urs. If you are struggling to find a behemos in ur starting hand , add more. I play 3 behemos + monsters nest for an additional behemos in case the mulligan was bad.

Yep I tried 3 behemoths too, either I get lots of behemoths and no nekkers or the other way round T_T

Now play with scoiatel and just reach rank 17

fostdecile;n9131910 said:
Yep I tried 3 behemoths too, either I get lots of behemoths and no nekkers or the other way round T_T

Now play with scoiatel and just reach rank 17

You dont need nekkers in round 1 . Nekkers are round 2 play. Usually having 2 or 3 behemoth +having a vran warrior and a celeano harpy is the ultimate starting hand for me.

Michelazz;n9132520 said:
You dont need nekkers in round 1 . Nekkers are round 2 play. Usually having 2 or 3 behemoth +having a vran warrior and a celeano harpy is the ultimate starting hand for me.

Yeah I know that, what I meant was no Nekkers for the whole match at all. Gonna try it again on casual and see what I went wrong.

Play the faction that appeals to you most. Unless you have a bunch of cash to drop on kegs, or a well populated card library, constantly chasing the meta is going to eventually frustrate you. I play monsters. Always have played monsters. I'm not running the swarm meta because I don't have the cards for it, and playing someone elses deck doesn't appeal to me. Am I ever going to be the best? Absolutely, once the 98000 players ahead of me quit. If your goal is to win, by all means chase the meta. If your goal is to just enjoy the game, find a faction you like and run with it. You win some, you lose some, but it's a whole lot more fun. In my humble opinion.

supafreaky;n9145210 said:
Play the faction that appeals to you most.

If your goal is to just enjoy the game, find a faction you like and run with it. You win some, you lose some, but it's a whole lot more fun. In my humble opinion.

i like your opinion, not just with gwent, but with applying it to all games. too many times in games we reach for some goal instead of just playing for the general enjoyment :D

Top Bottom