So... there will be crunch...

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The notion 'crunch' is avoidable might seem possible to someone who has never run a company, but in the real world where time & money are finite, the truth is 'crunch' is unavoidable.

The notion 'crunch' is avoidable might seem possible to someone who has never run a company, but in the real world where time & money are finite, the truth is 'crunch' is unavoidable.
When time is money and you find your money a super finite resource... Maybe it's time to stop paying so much those managers who only manage to mismanage the whole project creation process?

Better yet, in fact, CDPR should hire little lone me as their System integrator.

I'm not so sure that non-mandatory crunch is non-mandatory.

Sorry for going Jim Sterling on this thread, but let's say you're working in a cut-throat industry, with frequent lay-offs, downsizing and with a job's market that's over flooding with new recruits that companies could churn through like a shredder. If your boss steps into your work place, asks who's willing to do some crunch, and the majority of the workplace says yes, are you seriously going to say no?

Oh sure, your boss will say nothing off it, but they've made sure a culture of crunch already exists and you've just made sure you're the odd man out. Of course you're going to say yes against your own interests and better judgement.

The next time there's lay-offs, you notice an odd pattern where all the workaholics get to stay and all those who said no are told "you're good kid, but somehow you don't quite fit into this company's particular identity. Nothing personal." The next time there's jobs open, even more workaholics get hired and it gets even harder to say no. I mean, it's actually hard to disagree that workaholic employees are better for the company and put more of themselves into the job, right? That's the right type of discrimination, right?

Just read that interview. The heads of CDPR already admit that this is just how the sausage is made. That already strongly slants the working culture in a certain way, doesn't it? Saying no to non-mandatory crunch, just ain't normal.

There's a case to be made it's just ultra-liberal market pressure and that it's simply a crunch industry. That hard work and workaholics are the only ones who deserve to survive in this industry and that crunch is what separates the wheat from the chaff. I disagree with that point, but I can understand it, it's solid and the only thing I can do against is offer sentimental, moralistic arguments. Something Marxist, like capital being able to pit the workforce against itself in such a system and that it makes the quality of life worse for a majority of people, while a smaller group of bourgeois managers leading the industry, turn the extra blood, sweat and tears into extra profits for themselves.

I think non-mandetory crunch is a fairy tale however. The free market and the interests of business will ensure that employees are selected for their ability to crunch and that job security lies with saying yes. There's nothing non-mandetory about it when the ramifications are the loss of your livelihood. Being able to say "well, we didn't force them" is just a concoction to shrug off responsibility and to make people sleep better. Don't do that. It's just insincere.

The only way to be rid of crunch in a capitalist system, is for crunch to be illegal. Otherwise the market will sort itself out into there being unspoken crunch.

Great and true post. In this system where there’s a line willing to replace you a company just treats its employees as nothing more than a battery.

ED342C7F-CFE0-403D-840A-82610CCA019B.jpeg

Great and true post. In this system where there’s a line willing to replace you a company just treats its employees as nothing more than a battery.
No. Stop taking hollywood movies so seriously.
We live in grim times of monopolistic capitalism when corporations grew strict hierarchy. It's a downward spiral. Both Marcin Iwinski and Adam Badowski (Or whatever what their real names are) possess a sum of capitals which naturally for their survival should grow up not down. So they dump off a huge cutlet of zloty to professionals who organize and manage the development of CP2077 so those two people at the top could return back and reap on the multiplied numbers of zloty and please the shareholders. Those professionals aren't really professionals since game industry is still not very prestige (like gladiator fighting or acting during ancient rome times), there's only rejects from software development available on the labor market agreeing to work on the salary they were offered by Marcin and co. This whole loop repeats down to the last programmer/artist/designer/whateverer met the "high" industry standards set by highest CDPR management and agreed to work on the salary they agreed or think they worth of.

Last edited:
No. Stop taking hollywood movies so seriously.
We live in grim times of monopolistic capitalism when corporations grew strict hierarchy. It's a downward spiral. Both Marcin Iwinski and Adam Badowski (Or whatever what their real names are) possess a sum of capitals which naturally for their survival should grow up not down. So they dump off a huge cutlet of zloty to professionals who organize and manage the development of CP2077 so those two people at the top could return back and reap on the multiplied numbers of zloty and please the shareholders. Those professionals aren't really professionals since game industry is still not very prestige (like gladiator fighting or acting during ancient rome times), there's only rejects from software development available on the labor market agreeing to work on the salary they were offered by Marcin and co. This whole loop repeats down to the last programmer/artist/designer/whateverer met the "high" industry standards set by highest CDPR management and agreed to work on the salary they agreed or think they worth of.

Wow, you managed to write a bunch of words without actually saying something nor disproving what I wrote.

Capital keeps the workers in check by keeping a certain sized pool of unemployed simultaneously threatening their current employees with a potential firing and upholding the idea that there a million miles long line of people willing to take their place if they don’t behave.

So if some outliers do rebel and don’t bow down then the system just swaps them for others. And the vicious cycle goes on and on thus the capital burns though people like a big machine through energy sources.

P.S. Actors in ancient Rome were as highly regarded as prostitutes were so I have no clue what books you were reading. Neither were gladiators seen as modern day celebrities. Modern day actors also didn’t go far from their counterparts of yore, they’re still just clowns on the payroll of those who are in power.

Last edited:
Actually, the question we must ask is what would CDPR do if they said we need some crunch and employee said "No, I'll do standart job and get standart salary. Thank you!" or accepts the crunch but after needs to return normal amount of work for any reason. If it's like R* then there's a big problem

Answer determines everything. Though like I said before I couldn't care less other people's decisions unless they involve me. IDC if an employee obsessed with CDPR and works for them 7/24 for free or someone works one hour in a month but gets 2x salary of other people

Wow, you managed to write a bunch of words without actually saying something nor disproving what I wrote.
I'm disproving your point of view - that it's all intentional malice while being basic managements incompetence and lack of planning IRL.
P.S. Actors in ancient Rome were as highly regarded as prostitutes were so I have no clue what books you were reading. Neither were gladiators seen as modern day celebrities. Modern day actors also didn’t go far from their counterparts of yore, they’re still just clowns on the payroll of those who are in power.
You also agreed with me here, that's what I said basically. But actors now are not all considered clowns, it's much more prestige profession nowadays. Bankrolled by Hollywood to act retarded yes but not considered shameful profession.

Unprofessional rejects from software development, on the other hand, are considered somewhere there, because their incompetence can be a reason for fatal mistake, hurt people or huge money loss. And game industry in general - you know better than me what it is now, and what kind of reputation it had not so long before. A huge turnoff for people caring about their job.

Last edited:
Please check this, with words from actual CDPR employee:

Can we finally stop with this "crunch" drama? As always, it got overblown and twisted by the pseudo-journalist, which are unable to write articles based on facts (click-bait sells, unfortunately).

Please check this, with words from actual CDPR employee:

Can we finally stop with this "crunch" drama? As always, it got overblown and twisted by the pseudo-journalist, which are unable to write articles based on facts (click-bait sells, unfortunately).

I watched the video, it doesn't change what have been told in that topic and have already been answered.
The fact that crunch is everywhere doesn't makes it normal.
The fact that a dev of the video speaks like a workaholic doesn't mean every dev' has to be.

Personally I'll find the situation solved when a dev refusing crunch will still be called back for next game.

When time is money and you find your money a super finite resource... Maybe it's time to stop paying so much those managers who only manage to mismanage the whole project creation process?

Better yet, in fact, CDPR should hire little lone me as their System integrator.
Games development is a management nightmare given the sheer number of moving parts & competing needs for available resources. Getting cheaper manager is probably not the best idea for such a management intensive process ;)

I watched the video, it doesn't change what have been told in that topic and have already been answered.
The fact that crunch is everywhere doesn't makes it normal.
The fact that a dev of the video speaks like a workaholic doesn't mean every dev' has to be.

Personally I'll find the situation solved when a dev refusing crunch will still be called back for next game.

Life sux. Deal with it.

To extrapolate: calling the guy "workaholic" is terribly disrespectful to somebody, who clearly is passionate about the whole project and understands that life is not always "unicorns and butterflies". No, not every dev has to do the cruch. But then not every dev will be praised as this guy and the whole CDPR team will be. You can be a part of something amazing or you can be a mediocre nobody. He chose to be breathtaking.

Last edited:
Games development is a management nightmare given the sheer number of moving parts & competing needs for available resources. Getting cheaper manager is probably not the best idea for such a management intensive process ;)
Entertaiment alone is not exclusive to games in regards to such problems.
By "stop paying them so much" I say fire those and give a solid pay to actual professionals, not to merely cheap on existing staff while keeping them in the company which is counterproductive.

The thing is, if the company is known from crunch, then what does a new employee expect? That the whole company, and the employee base which accepts the idea, will bow down to him?

The employee isn't entitled to the company. Either he plays by the book or he's out the game. Don't see what's wrong with that. I mean, sure, go on and ask for conditions that suit you better, but if the company disagrees, then either suck it up or leave the company. And if the company highlights their crunch etiquette during the first interview, or if you ask the company about it prior to joining the company, then you can skip the whole process and see for yourself whether you wanna work in this kind of company, in this kind of industry, or not. There is absolutely no way for a single employee to somehow REFORM or REVOLUTIONIZE the whole entire industry, that's just naive.

The thing is, if the company is known from crunch, then what does a new employee expect? That the whole company, and the employee base which accepts the idea, will bow down to him?

The employee isn't entitled to the company. Either he plays by the book or he's out the game. Don't see what's wrong with that. I mean, sure, go on and ask for conditions that suit you better, but if the company disagrees, then either suck it up or leave the company. And if the company highlights their crunch etiquette during the first interview, or if you ask the company about it prior to joining the company, then you can skip the whole process and see for yourself whether you wanna work in this kind of company, in this kind of industry, or not.

That kind of reasoning is the reason why in some companies people are forced to put diapers to avoid wasting time going to the restroom.

There is absolutely no way for a single employee to somehow REFORM or REVOLUTIONIZE the whole entire industry, that's just naive.

Reason why the solution have to come from somewhere else, either customers, laws or even the companies themselves.

There is absolutely no way for a single employee to somehow REFORM or REVOLUTIONIZE the whole entire industry, that's just naive.

You’re right. The voice of one man is the voice of no one. There is safety in numbers.
Reason why the solution have to come from somewhere else, either customers, laws or even the companies themselves.

Wrong. Workers in any field must cooperate and fight for their rights by forming trade unions that would dictate their will to the employer. Only by doing that on the mass scale would this practice of crunch be eradicated. Until developers en masse rise up against it rare outliers will keep getting silenced and media will keep pushing the “if it’s happening in all the game studios the it must be the norm” narrative.

Guest 4310777

Arnold Schwarzenegger was in the gym every morning, he worked all day, then he was in the gym at night, he got 6 hours sleep and did the same thing again. He did this for 6 days a week, every week of the year. He tortured his body. He is the greatest of all time. Can you tell me who is the second greatest? Nobody remembers the others. Arnold could have decided to take it easier and have some "work life balance," but then he would have died a nobody to anyone other than his friends and family. Elon musk sleeps at his factories, he goes to bed at 1am and gets up at 7am, he skips breakfast, he reads emails in the toilet and on transportation to maxamise productivity, he uses every second of his life to further his success. He is one of the greatest entrepeneurs to ever exist. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Jeff Bezos all have similar work ethic. What about athletes, how hard do you think the olympic gold medalists work? Would they win gold if they worked less? They are crunching everyday of their lives to be the best, if they don't somebody else will work harder and be better. The very evolution of our species and the creation of the greatest civilisations is the product of the most sophisticated people doing the hardest work. The success of a company is no different.

CDPR could chose not to work so hard, they would make a pretty enjoyable few hours of entertainment that will inevitably be forgotten amongst the literally hundreds of thousands of other games in history. Rockstar will be happy to take all the awards and immortal accolades. This is not how CDPR thinks, they want to work the hardest and be the best and they are mostly open and honest about that, the company is an elite club for developers who want to be apart of a gold medal team. There are literally thousands of other teams a dev could work at if they are not onboard with the dedication and mindset of this team.

Energy equals mass. Work equals product. You cannot change the nature of reality to make less work equal better outcomes, it makes no sense and is not applicable in any domain.

Arnold Schwarzenegger was in the gym every morning, he worked all day, then he was in the gym at night, he got 6 hours sleep and did the same thing again. He did this for 6 days a week, every week of the year. He tortured his body. He is the greatest of all time. Can you tell me who is the second greatest? Nobody remembers the others. Arnold could have decided to take it easier and have some "work life balance," but then he would have died a nobody to anyone other than his friends and family. Elon musk sleeps at his factories, he goes to bed at 1am and gets up at 7am, he skips breakfast, he reads emails in the toilet and on transportation to maxamise productivity, he uses every second of his life to further his success. He is one of the greatest entrepeneurs to ever exist. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Jeff Bezos all have similar work ethic. What about athletes, how hard do you think the olympic gold medalists work? Would they win gold if they worked less? They are crunching everyday of their lives to be the best, if they don't somebody else will work harder and be better. The very evolution of our species and the creation of the greatest civilisations is the product of the most sophisticated people doing the hardest work. The success of a company is no different.

Yes, there is workaholic and it's their right to willfully be, it just not normal to push it on everyone.

Energy equals mass. Work equals product. You cannot change the nature of reality to make less work equal better outcomes, it makes no sense and is not applicable in any domain.

It's not about "less work", it's about "less work per person per day". And that can be achieved two ways:
-More employees (not forcibly costlier as the number of worked hours is just shared by more people and same goes with the salary). Con is finding the employees and being able to give them work.
-More time (and again not forcibly costlier as the number of worked hours stay the same, just shared in more days). Con is delay.

But both solution can be used with good management.

Guest 4310777

[...]

Yes, there is workaholic and it's their right to willfully be, it just not normal to push it on everyone.

It's not about "less work", it's about "less work per person per day". And that can be achieved two ways:
-More employees (not forcibly costlier as the number of worked hours is just shared by more people and same goes with the salary). Con is finding the employees and being able to give them work.
-More time (and again not forcibly costlier as the number of worked hours stay the same, just shared in more days). Con is delay.

But both solution can be used with good management.

I see what you mean about rotating the staff, it makes sense, there could be a downside in that ideally, you want to have the most talented people doing the work. so you have 400 potential employees, you employ the top 200 and have them work 10 hours a day. Or you employ all 400 and have them work 5 hours a day, but half of the work is now inferior. Also, it might be hard to subdivide some tasks right, you could have an artist who might not want another artist working on his assets, it might hinder his freedom of expression and sense of achievement to have other people sharing his slice or work. Also, practice makes perfect (within limits), if you have someone working alot at one thing they get very good at it. Also, it might not even be possible for the company to find more employees and again, they would have to spend a long time learning the ropes and finding their groove. Ideally a company would just incentivise work by compensating people with more money, do we know if the staff at CDPR are getting bonuses or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom