So... They Say Total Control Is Impossible

+
So... They Say Total Control Is Impossible

Dropped more 300 mmr with some decks I build. This one... Around 4k, 75% forfeits.

P.S. Eithne is the leader, of course.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
This deck would be even more blazingly hot with Villenmethingy (instead of Regis?). Anyhow, BTM seems a risky card here, with all the removal going on (and lessening the effects of Scorch).

4RM3D;n9283831 said:
This deck would be even more blazingly hot with Villenmethingy (instead of Regis?). Anyhow, BTM seems a risky card here, with all the removal going on (and lessening the effects of Scorch).
BTM is the one that drives it home. They always hide that one card from Scorch.
I went with Regis because it's easier to disrupt the opponent's strategy. With 4 Scorches, I don't need another 8 gold one when I have BTM. Ironically, the worst match-up is the weakest one... you guess...

It's one of the "so bad, it can be good" instances.

Edit. Switched from White Frost to Skellige Storm. Not that much of a difference, tbh.

Last edited:
HenryGrosmont;n9284111 said:
It's one of the "so bad, it can be good" instances.

Edit. Switched from White Frost to Skellige Storm. Not that much of a difference, tbh.

You can try Merigold's Hailstorm too - mini Coral.
Also +1 RP for premium Saskia, good taste.

Do you really think that Igni is good in this deck? With this amount of control I doubt anything would be above 20.

KasumiGoto;n9287101 said:
You can try Merigold's Hailstorm too - mini Coral.
Also +1 RP for premium Saskia, good taste.

Do you really think that Igni is good in this deck? With this amount of control I doubt anything would be above 20.
Will try Hialstorm, thank you
I've made a lot of Premiums: all Dragons, Dwarves and Witchers. Crones too and many more. My son loves them. Btw, in this pic alone, there are 15 premiums.

About Igni. It helps vs NR quite a lot but you might be right and it could be switched to something else. The problem is that Scoia golds are not very good.

stridecolossus;n9287641 said:
True, though you have 3 bronze special cards so maybe Ithlinne could be an option?
I'm not too keen on giving away a 5 gold body for a double D-Shackle, to be honest. Apart from a buff/dwarven deck, I can't see much use of Ithline.

Hailstorm is a ridiculously underrated card because many decks inevitably end up rowstacking a bit right now. It pairs well with Yaevinn too.

I'm surprised by Igni. It usually only nets a conditional scorch with a 4 body and eats up a gold slot. Trappers/Lacerate/any AoE should be sufficient to keep NR unit spam in check, and if an Igni can win you the game R3 vs Reavers a scorch effect off another gold can do the same.

You could try Yen. She acts as a hard counter to Woodlands and can still be very good vs SK/NR.

I'll admit I've become a fan of Drogon... err, Borkh myself. He can be tricky to use at times but... he is a dragon so... nuff said?

HenryGrosmont;n9287161 said:
Will try Hialstorm, thank you
I've made a lot of Premiums: all Dragons, Dwarves and Witchers. Crones too and many more. My son loves them. Btw, in this pic alone, there are 15 premiums.

About Igni. It helps vs NR quite a lot but you might be right and it could be switched to something else. The problem is that Scoia golds are not very good.

I would try swapping Igni for Aglais or Milva (you don't have any buffs so you'll just get another use of your unit, while the opponent might potentially lose the buffs) or Borkh. Or Avallach to counter discard. Don't you lack a bit of raw power when it comes to round 1? Without cards like Dragoons or Isengrim + Morenn/Toruviel or Aelirenn it seems like quite a bit of challenge.

Thanks for the suggestions, people!

a) Hailstorm is in
b) Igni is out and I'll try Aglais... or Avallach... or something.

As for the raw power, I usually overwhelm the opponent in the first with the sheer removal wave. And BTM.

Hey I like the idea u have with this deck, and believe it or not ive been running into it or a version of it about 50% of the time when playing against scoia'tael. I wanted to ask two questions. How does this deck do against another control deck? Like say control Radovid. And second since you have access to soooo many scorches have you ever thought about or tried using more controlled damage silver cards to deliberately make ur opponents cards have the same values? I ask this because I've actually saved myself by using ur weather card against you, specially in the last round to make my cards uneven. And since I wrote all this I'm also curious about how it fairs against skellige where killing everything can sometimes do no harm because they can just res stronger.

mfool123;n9295201 said:
Hey I like the idea u have with this deck, and believe it or not ive been running into it or a version of it about 50% of the time when playing against scoia'tael. I wanted to ask two questions. How does this deck do against another control deck? Like say control Radovid. And second since you have access to soooo many scorches have you ever thought about or tried using more controlled damage silver cards to deliberately make ur opponents cards have the same values? I ask this because I've actually saved myself by using ur weather card against you, specially in the last round to make my cards uneven. And since I wrote all this I'm also curious about how it fairs against skellige where killing everything can sometimes do no harm because they can just res stronger.
Thank you, very kind of you. The key here is to hold on Eithne for as long as possible. But if needed, use it whenever. Regis is prob the most underrated gold in this game.

Was it you with Aglais? Not bad, not bad at all :)

This deck usually decimates Radovid and does well against control, including both Monsters. Skellige isn't as much of an issue as NG is. The only deck that I need to play carefully against.
I still think that this deck is one or two tweaks away from being consistent against all factions.

I'll try Myrgtabrakke but, most of the time, I don't have 2 card advantage in the third so...

If you lack CA, why not add Ciri? She works wonders in my deck and with Yeovin I often end 2 to 3 cards up in Round 3.

Would switch her with G:Igni.

Last edited:
As i was saying since day one,scorch needs to be fixed perhaps making it a gold card ,this deck is totally broken.

marina22;n9295561 said:
As i was saying since day one,scorch needs to be fixed perhaps making it a gold card ,this deck is totally broken.

I think it's okay. Without it you'd have no way to keep high value units in check.

marina22;n9295561 said:
As i was saying since day one,scorch needs to be fixed perhaps making it a gold card, this deck is totally broken.
So let the dwarfs be the kings!!!!! Mahakam!
Out of the joke, you will just play carryover decks then, adrenaline rush would be a must. With scorch you avoid this gameplay, or at least you do not encourage. I think it is somehow feasible right now.

marina22;n9295561 said:

Could you elaborate on why you feel these type of decks are broken? I find they're only hard to beat if you play against them incorrectly. Perhaps with details someone can toss some tips your way. I've been running a build based on a similar concept and higher ranked players often go out of their way to put these decks in a tough spot, as they've seen it enough times to know how to do so. In such cases these builds are far from overpowered...

I don't see how it's fine to bomb a board with high power units but a deck running numerous high value removals is not.

partci;n9295421 said:
If you lack CA, why not add Ciri? She works wonders in my deck and with Yeovin I often end 2 to 3 cards up in Round 3.

Would switch her with G:Igni.
Igni is gone already. Yennefer is in, although I'm not entirely satisfied with her.
Ciri could definitely get a chance.
Restlessdingo32;n9299441 said:
Could you elaborate on why you feel these type of decks are broken? I find they're only hard to beat if you play against them incorrectly. Perhaps with details someone can toss some tips your way. I've been running a build based on a similar concept and higher ranked players often go out of their way to put these decks in a tough spot, as they've seen it enough times to know how to do so. In such cases these builds are far from overpowered...

I don't see how it's fine to bomb a board with high power units but a deck running numerous high value removals is not.
The deck isn't easy to play against an experienced player. I'm barely at 55% with it at 4200 mmr.
Nerfing Scorch or other hard removals will transform this game into even a bigger buff fest than it is now.

Last edited:
HenryGrosmont;n9300751 said:
Igni is gone already. Yennefer is in, although I'm not entirely satisfied with her.
Ciri could definitely get a chance.

The deck isn't easy to play against an experienced player. I'm barely at 55% with it at 4200 mmr.
Nerfing Scorch or other hard removals will transform this game into even a bigger buff fest than it is now.

Yen is a tech card against MS. It's primarily for Dagon Swarm, more specifically Woodlands. It can work as a backup for GH vs Consume as well if they don't pull it from Marching Orders. It's not ideal in some cases for sure but can still get value vs other decks if played at the right time.

I hit R20 running a Witcher/Smuggler build and swapped to one of the decks built by Purple (good player, hitting up his stream can help). Ran that to around 4350. Ended up tanking to 4.1k shortly after because people figured out how to put the deck in tough spots and a string of horrible draws/mulligans. From there I made some changes and started going back up. It seems the biggest thing is to learn from misplays and quickly adapt your build to the decks you're seeing. Oddly, it feels harder to get a read on the meta at lower MMR because people do weird shit :).

Top Bottom