Votes: 167 65.0%
  • No, I never liked it.

Votes: 46 17.9%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 44 17.1%

• Total voters
So uhm... dice poker is no longer in?

http://www.nag.co.za/2014/08/29/lets-talk-to-cd-projekt-about-the-witcher-3/
(Credit to @dani1234 for posting the link originally in the interviews thread; good interview, really recommend reading it)

Now to the dice poker part:
NAG: Alright, then we have a reader on Facebook called Charl du Preez and he asks: will you still be able to play dice poker?
MS: I don’t think so. We still have the fist-fighting mini game, which doesn’t have QTEs in it anymore; it’s all tactical. We also have boat racing and horse racing. We also have another game that’s a card game. It’s a collectable card game that’s inside the game, and that will replace the dice poker.
NAG: A collectable card game within the game? So you’ll find cards around the world, and then build a deck to play the game?
MS: Yes! Something like that, but I can’t tell you much more than that!

Since I assume this will not make a lot of us happy in order to avoid cluttering up the other threads with dice poker discussions and opinions on this decision I think it's better to start a new thread.

Please keep it civil.

That's pretty sad and not understandable at all. I mean why cutting something people liked and which was already designed and implemented in the previous iteration of the engine? Why not just adding more minigames instead of replacing them. To be honest, I have no understanding for that at all. And time or effort can't be an effort here since the devs have stil 6 months until release.

I can understand the reason behind it IF it`s so .
In Witcher 1 it was very easy to exploit the mechanics of dice being stacked against you . All you needed to do was save before or during the dice game until the player maxed out his payouts or until you tired of playing it for awhile and move on to the next victim . There was one time I played Thaler and decided to do it straight and lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 9000 Orens and did not win a single game . Imagine rolling 4 sixes on the 1st round and Thaler has nothing after his roll , he then rolls his next round and hits 5 sixes at one time .
Then in Witcher 2 dice was a pittance compared to the 1st game . Wasn`t hardly worth the effort of playing .

This is a shame. I always liked playing Dice Poker, and the very idea of it was simple and fun. The Witcher just won't be the same without it in my opinion. And to be honest it's kind of disheartening that they're removing it outright, in favour of something else in its place, rather than adding more to the universe. How sad.

Witcher 1 Dice was pretty tense and a good way to make money. A lot of the key story characters played it and it unlocked additional dialogue or ways to do quest . It's on the player if they want to save-scum their way trough all of it and ruin the fun. I agree it wasn't the best in TW2, but I think it was because it was added in a rush on the new engine and it wasn't thought out very well.

Still no reason to remove it. What are you gonna do now...play magic the gathering with 2013 card decks around inns and random soldiers? Soldiers gathered around campfires playing cards with modern designs and characters from the books on them. I just don't see any of the logic here

I can understand the reason behind it IF it`s so .
In Witcher 1 it was very easy to exploit the mechanics of dice being stacked against you . All you needed to do was save before or during the dice game until the player maxed out his payouts or until you tired of playing it for awhile and move on to the next victim . There was one time I played Thaler and decided to do it straight and lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 9000 Orens and did not win a single game . Imagine rolling 4 sixes on the 1st round and Thaler has nothing after his roll , he then rolls his next round and hits 5 sixes at one time .
Then in Witcher 2 dice was a pittance compared to the 1st game . Wasn`t hardly worth the effort of playing .

Well, this is only an "issue" if you make your minigame part of missions or quests. If you let a minigame be a minigame for people to pick it up without any need there is no need to cut it. If money or economy is a problem just limit the bets to small amounts. Problem solved.
I personally liked dice poker both in W1 and W2 and I'm pretty sad that it's gone. It's also a part of the world CDPR created, something that connected the previous Witcher games. Sticking to your lore is always good imo.

I believe I need to make something more clear . It doesn`t matter to me one way or the other about dice poker in the witcher games and was merely pointing out the flaws in them . If you liked it then that`s ok and likewise if you didn`t then that`s ok too .
But how many mini games do we need ?

I believe I need to make something more clear . It doesn`t matter to me one way or the other about dice poker in the witcher games and was merely pointing out the flaws in them . If you liked it then that`s ok and likewise if you didn`t then that`s ok too .
But how many mini games do we need ?
We don't "need" ANY minigame tbh. But there is imo also no reason/need to cut one which is already part of the Witcher (games) DNA/lore and which is liked by quite a bunch of fans of the franchise...

I don't care.. all the new shit in this game makes TW2 seem so boring and out-dated. I'm so down with the NEW SHIT;)
The speech of a true fanboy... :p :p :p

I don't gamble, in real life or in games. Killing shit is more profitable. But this surprised me. It's kind of iconic by now, and it could have been improved instead of being canned. We'll see what the card collecting thing is all about.

I can foresee myself preferring dice poker to the card game at this point. It is really sad to hear that dice poker won't be in the next game... But dice poker was only a small piece of what made the Witcher great. I still can't wait to play all the new mini games, and the fist fights.

That's really disappointing. Can't say how much I'll like this change until I get a chance to play the card game, I guess. I hope it turns out great.

We don't "need" ANY minigame tbh. But there is imo also no reason/need to cut one which is already part of the Witcher (games) DNA/lore and which is liked by quite a bunch of fans of the franchise...

The speech of a true fanboy... :p :p :p

Damn Right I'ma fanboy! ;)

I don't gamble, in real life or in games. Killing shit is more profitable. But this surprised me. It's kind of iconic by now, and it could have been improved instead of being canned. We'll see what the card collecting thing is all about.

I more or less agree. I was largely indifferent to dice poker itself, especially since it lacked the mental aspect of bluffing your opponent(s) in real poker (it was pretty much Yahtzee!), but by the second game I associated it pretty closely with the series. No matter, I'm pretty eager to see if the new card game's a worthy replacement. There might even be more strategy involved in it (akin to Magic: The Gathering maybe?)

Gregski has a good point on the exploitation, both games you can scum save and in 2 you could jumble stack in the corner. Admittedly I did the former only to progress the questline and never abused it. I'll miss it dearly as it felt so organic in the world. Maybe, hopefully they'll re-think it and put it in.

I think I'm one of the few ones here who is sad that arm wrestling is gone. Now no Dice poker either. Why ?
CDPR could have just kept the games and improved them, and added the new games on top of it. Dice Poker is THE mini game that defines the Witcher series, it was there since the first game.
And almost every mechanic in every game can get exploited except in the games that don't give the players save option and the game saves automatically (checkpoint system). Even decision making can get exploited with optional save system. If CDPR wants to stop the exploitation of mini-games and decision making they have to change the save system and not take the mini games out of the game.

Top Bottom