So uhm... dice poker is no longer in?

• Yes, I liked it and want it back.

Votes: 167 65.0%
  • No, I never liked it.

Votes: 46 17.9%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 44 17.1%

• Total voters
...or we could set up illegal dice poker tournaments under a bridge somewhere.

could play the guitar and I can crossbow people who don't pay up between the legs.
Bolts & balls. Sounds like a Mount & Blade expansion.

... I should copyright that.

I'd like that. Just sitting around, throwing dice, arranging tournaments, listening to @StaGiors music, while watching you harass and wound those already sore losers( I'm thinking de Wett-kinda guys). Non-fatal shots only though, we don't want no real trouble.

And we would have our own troll in our gang as well. We're under a bridge after all, location location location! What kind of establishment would we run if we don't have a troll bouncer? Then again, we're located under a bridge, we should probably not hope for winning 'finest establishment' in Novigrad issue of 'Gambling parlour weekly.'

IF someone really bothered us and you'd miss with your ballbuster shots we'd send our troll-buddy to entice them to make them cry, make inflammatory remarks about their looks or or...just toss them in the river. Yeah that works. I really believe in this plan. :happy:

Last edited:
Does not change the fact it is not a core aspect of the game. As I said, it's unfortunate it won't make a return in TW3 but c'est la vie.

There is one important thing to consider. In TW1 dice are important to the plot. Who liked TW1 over TW2 dice remind crucial moments.
About the contrary, if one preferred style of TW2 (and maybe he only played in one and there are many), the "dice" remember only sidequests.
No character in TW2 (if I remember correctly) gave information only if you beat him at dice.
In short, TW3 seems to me much more like TW2 to the gameplay. They will also have added new monsters (which are very few in TW2) and opened the world (which in TW1 was already quite open, while in the second it is very close), but the style is no longer old RPG is more action.
After some thought I realized that dice, as they put them in TW2 have little meaning. Also because the beauty of the game lies in like corruption, are not beautiful by themselves.
And I'm sorry to say but I think TW3 will not be nice for the gameplay but only for the history (at least for me). And maybe I will continue to play TW1. That even if it is old, I still like (and I've only recently discovered)..

Perhaps there will be a lore-friendly reason for the absence of dice-poker. Perhaps in Nilfgaard's attempt to undermine Northern culture and secure their cultural domination, they banned dice-poker (and gambling in general) and implemented Gwent. Refugees who fled north brought Gwent into Novigrad. Radovid, being as stern and calculating as he is, banned games of chances in his kingdom in favor for preparing its people for war.

Well, it's just my imagination. Either way, I'm not sad for dice-poker to be gone. Its limited game mechanics really doesn't allow for much improvement.

Dice poker is not in the game. However, in Wild Hunt, we are introducing Gwent which involves a lot more strategy and tactical approach to the game.

What a joke, literally the most iconic minigame to the Witcher franchise.:listen:
With people creating their own dice poker replicas and wanting it to be made real as to obtain it from merchandise shops.

And you've cut it from the final installment?
That's super disappointing to hear. And you guys killed half the hype for Gwent with the Xbox -exclusive announcement.
Wow, still can't believe it. It was a simple, iconic game and having characters play it in the game made it all the more immersive and believable since it was a basic, rough yet functional game of gamble and fortune. Pokémon cards will hardly do the trick, fun but far less blended in with the setting.

People didn't complain about the existance of Dice Poker in the game, they complained about having to roll dice, learn the mechanics and go through bad luck because Dice Poker was required to be played in order to advance in the plots.

Easily resolved with making it entirely optional, having NPCs play it by watchposts, alleys and merchant tents, whatnot.
If fearing some kind of monetary exploit, the yearnings could be minimalized and new forms of rewards being introduced like a set of silver or golden dice by beating some special opponents with Geralt starting out with a shoddy, weathered dice poker set and in the end has freshly coloured and highly detailed one or whatever. That ain't the important thing. The important thing is Dice Poker being in the Witcher Universe and as I wage accross the world, be given the option in some tavern or elsewhere to join in for a session or two over a drink.

Last edited by a moderator:
People didn't complain about the existance of Dice Poker in the game, they complained about having to roll dice, learn the mechanics and go through bad luck because Dice Poker was required to be played in order to advance in the plots.

I liked this fact. So what's wrong with luck. It is normal and in real life is what happens to have bad luck.
Then the atmosphere is just that, people who put you aware of the facts that respect you only if you become good at dice, in short, is what happened in the Middle Ages.
People who do not understand this do not understand the beauty of the created world in TW1, which is more realistic and more beautiful than in TW2

Yeah, but generally you don't want to take control away like that from the player and base outcomes entirely on luck unless the player specifically wants to go that route.

Yeah, but generally you don't want to take control away like that from the player and base outcomes entirely on luck unless the player specifically wants to go that route.
Well, in the first game there was always the corruption with the money if you dont want should rely on luck. In addition, these games just based on luck are fun when you become too strong, in those there is always the possibility of losing.
In the second game I only saw frustration, I had to play in easy to get going or I would have immediately stopped playing. TW2 I thought it was a movie, while in TW1 I was playing. The dice are the same thing. In the first were part of the plot, and they were a challenge, a challenge that could be missed, even at best, and that all of the most influential people seemed to appreciate. In TW2, however, were completely sidequest, boring because you had to go to find out who was playing. It also bugged because sometimes the characters were surrendering even though they were in the lead.
The dice were a symbol of the game in part because it also maintained the medieval atmosphere of the game. In the second the dark atmosphere has become much less present and this has made the game of dice one of the many mini-games boring.
So in my opinion a game should not be judged only by the gameplay or level of challenge. One must judge according to what manages to get involved without having to resort to cut scenes and QTE. The dice game being added to the atmosphere in the first game was great, the second was just a way to make money.
I do not know how to explain it, the dice are not the best game in the world but rendered a lot. It was the transition from old to hack and slash RPG that has created this situation. TW3 Probably the game will not be a true RPG (as understood by those who love this genre of TW1), but it will be much more coherent. Perhaps the problem of TW2 was just incoherency, remove the dice probably will do well in the third game.

Dice poker is not in the game.

Sad news, but strangely not as shocking a reality as I'd have thought, I guess due to the unstable implementation of it in the games so far that makes it difficult to advocate, or even really say what we'll miss other than it felt right for the times. Its been in the series so far aye, and it could be fun occasionally and few would think its flaws made it a dud concept, seems it just couldn't be perfected and removal is probably for the best.

I'm just hoping you REDs didn't forget the authentic Inn atmosphere while all the modifications were going on (I believe we players could suspend disbelief for a single component like the rules of Gwent, just please don't ask us to face a full on 21st century CCG in all its sparkling crapulence).

Could we possibly get the reasoning behind why dice poker was dropped? :)

You could say it's a staple of Witcher games and it seems a bit odd it was removed completely.

It'll come out eventually I suspect, get the job done and review the dead-ends later...

Well dice poker wasn't a great minigame, but was the best minigame in W1 and in W2.. the music, the atmosphere, etc..

IsengrimR

No dice game?
What?

Excuse me, for a moment, I just need to collect all the pieces of evidence pointing directly at the big red sign saying: "Abandon ship!"
Then, give me a moment, for me to go through different stages grief, stopping in between to write this.

Why? The question is - why? Because it would be too hard? Because not enough people play it? What is the exact reason behind throwing away this unique mini-game?

Call me entitled, but if you think I want it in the game - you're goddamn right, I do want it back.
Gwent! Ah, card games are so popular lately, that's seriously a good move... for broader audience appeal.
What stops from this and dice cooexisting?
Personally, now when it's mentioned in the light of 'We took out the minigame that was in 2 games BUUUUTT we did put some card game" I will make sure I won't touch it with a 10 meter pole.
What stops from this and dice cooexisting?

To be perfectly honest, everything, everything CDPR has done post E3 rubs me the wrong way. The way that says: "Game get dumbed down for magical broader audience" and "(Mass)ive [Disappointment] Effect 3". Clearly dumbed down alchemy, questionable combat, questionable inventory system, "the-I-didn't-ask-for-this mobile MOBA"...
Now I get the shiny feature that you would expect, hah, take for granted disappears.
Seriously, I might dislike some TW3 decisions, but the removal of dice poker topples them all.
Tops.

Madness, madness and stupidity - that's my overall reaction.

Last edited:
No dice game? What? Why? The question is - why? Because it would be too hard? Because not enough people play it? What is the exact reason behind throwing away this unique mini-game? Seriously, I might dislike some TW3 decisions, but the removal of dice poker topples them all.
Tops.

Aye it could be argued that Dice Poker belongs in no matter how it plays, it does feel borderline iconic, maybe CDPR are taking the Quest for Perfection too far in judging even a weak implementation unfit for the shoddiest of Inns. But then again we players have seen only two incarnations of a simplistic dice game the devs have likely prototyped quite a few more over the last 7 years, and maybe its basic format just can't be made any more challenging.

Theres been whole threads on dice poker before, search for them, lots of suggestions but I can't recall a single one gaining real traction on the board. Seven years of people trying to get this minigame right just to conclude the only way to improve on Dice Poker is with Cards ;)

I do like Dice poker but i wont grieve over it for fading away, i bet the new minigames are just as fun, and to be honest id like to see something fresh.

Top Bottom