So we aren't supposed to use Signs?

+
So we aren't supposed to use Signs?

It began with Igni, now Yrden has gotten the unnecessary nerf hammer. 256% (281% @ max w/Petri Filter) Sign intensity and there is almost no slowdown effect at all (even on foes almost 10 levels below me). Why put those powers in the game if you are just going to make them all useless? I think that is a fair question to ask. I don't want to become a god of time, but I would like to see all the skill points and runes I put into my build actually do something. I also noticed in the notes for 1.11 that some enemies got buffed against Aard, too. I just want to know who thought making the Signs useless one-by-one in a SP game was a good idea.

Last edited:
The signs are really supposed to be auxiliary to the swords, a tool to clear space, disorient and slow opponents. The "better than swords" builds were just silly, and I'm glad to see them go.

Signs work well just in their basic forms, when used to augment your main weapons, and become powerful when used this way with equipment and level enhancements if that is your thing... and there *are* really useful skills to put alongside your other talents... but Geralt, a witcher is not supposed to even come close to the power of a mage or sorceress ~ they mock Aard "the mountain" as being trivial in the novels, and there is almost no sign use at all... Igni burns a few ropes, mends a holed cooking pot and sets a timber pile on fire... and that is about it... Quen is used once or twice to prevent crushing... but again not too much.

Take as many signs and potion skills as you need to expand your options, but swords are a witcher's key weapon, and should remain so even after learning new tricks.

The problem is that Yrden barely slows opponents at all, now, no matter how many skill points/runes you use up. While keeping Geralt's combat true to the lore is a noble idea, it limits how players can play. Sometimes lore needs to take a backseat to player enjoyment.

Edit: I do apologize for the sarcasm in my OP, though. I finally got to play this game after getting 1.11 on PS4 and saw the Yrden nerf for myself. Even lowly drowners and rotfiends are barely affected by it.

I think what bothers me is that my jacked up Sign build is reduced to about the same level it was when I began my first play through. That's how it feels, anyway. I just want Red to maybe reconsider the balance changes they made to the Signs, at least a little bit.

Last edited:
Devs clearly do not want people to play as Sign builds.
Just switch to the mindless "Quen-dodge-slash" sword build like every other player.

If devs wanted to promote variety in their game, they'd be buffing lesser used abilities like Pyromaniac, Shockwave, etc, rather than making good abilities useless.

The "better than swords" builds were just silly, and I'm glad to see them go.

You're happy to see player choice being taken away? You don't have to use those "better than swords" builds, but you shouldn't wish them taken away for those that enjoy them.

Threre shouldnt be any need to rebalance things in a single player game.
Anyone should be able to play this game like they want and not force them to play in a way a dev thinks its "the right way" to play.
This is a rpg after all. What about ppl who like to role play as a sign only geralt.
If a power of a sign was present at lauch of the game then leave it like that. Or nerf it at launch so you dont piss ppl off.

Try basic Igni again.

It is now insanely OP. Fought a green cyclops with it - 4 direct hits + fire damage killed him. Never even had to use my sword.

Also, if Aard has been nerfed against some enemies, it is NOT humans. Aard now launches humans several feet in the air with great reliability (my build only has 134% intensity too) and if they are anywhere near a cliff, they are going off it. Reminds me of WItcher 2 Aard now.

iCake

Forum veteran
Don't know about Yrden but my Aard based builtd works as well if not better than before. I have "far-reaching aard" and "aard sweep" maxed out. Anytime I face a pack of enemies I just cast an alternative aard and see enemies getting knocked down across a wide area of the battlefield. Next thing I know I just finish off all the foes with a click of a button.

There are baddies that are not affected by aard of course, but those I'll just burn to ashes and if they don't burn, I'll just hack them up the old-fashioned way. 171% sign intensity by the way.

I heard about Igni being nerfed but thought it wasn't true,now Yrden too.Damn...another one of CDPR unnecessary changes into the game,indeed there are some overpowered signs but they should've looked into that before releasing the game,the worst thing they can do now is to change things that people are already used to,this way spoiling people experience with the game therefore their fun,it has happened with me so I know the drama,the frustration...if they're gonna keep nerfing the signs may as well rid the game of them once and for all.
CDPR is making a mess of Witcher 3 ever since they released 1.07.

Top Bottom