So weapons are pretty much just guns and knives?

+

I was expecting more "cyberpunk" stuff like robots and spider tanks too.

I was thinking of drones with Predator-like "thermo-optic camouflage" that we can use for recon and maneuver into position as weapons that will strike targets on command - allowing for a kind of a "trap" / tower defense-lite style of attack.

Maybe in DLC I suppose.

Edit: I'm not opposed to "guns and knives". I'm opposed to there being ONLY "guns and knives". Come on. It's 2077.

Last edited:
They had plans for this with the spider bot seen in the E3 2018 demo. It was supposed to be a companion bot for tech builds, but they later scrapped it because it was too similar in functionality to hacking apparently.

I don't know if they have any other robot companions in the game currently, but I hope that the spider bot and stuff like that make it into the game too.

They had plans for this with the spider bot seen in the E3 2018 demo. It was supposed to be a companion bot for tech builds, but they later scrapped it because it was too similar in functionality to hacking apparently.

I don't know if they have any other robot companions in the game currently, but I hope that the spider bot and stuff like that make it into the game too.
I won't be surprised if it got cut. :cry:

If it was in the game, they would have mentioned something by now given that the marketing is in its hype phrase.

Yeap, pretty much.

Guns, with smart technology linking them to you and the ability to have guided bullets, and tech to have handheld railguns that "pierce concrete like cardboard"

and knifes, with thermal edges, neurotoxin mods and that pop up out of your arms.

Very boring and not cyberpunk at all. Guess we gotta wait for DLC maybe I gues if it ever comes out for exciting weapons that are actually cyberpunk.. :shrug:

Last edited:
Yeap, pretty much.

Guns, with smart technology linking them to you and the ability to have guided bullets, and tech to have handheld railguns that "pierce concrete like cardboard"

and knifes, with thermal edges, neurotoxin mods and that pop up out of your arms.

Very boring and not cyberpunk at all. Guess we gotta wait for DLC maybe I gues if it ever comes out for exciting weapons that are actually cyberpunk.. :shrug:
Not sure if sarcasm …

Guns and knives have been done to death. Combat will effectively feel like CoD reskinned. Guns with guided bullets … basically auto-aim/V.A.T.S. A sword with a thermal edge is still just a sword - it operates in exactly the same way. Arm mods? Basically swords by another name.

Nothing we haven't seen before. In fact, we have seen all these (or something similar) in Deus Ex back in 2000. So excuse me for feeling somewhat disappointed.

PS: Come to think of it, Deus Ex had LAMs (basically proximity mines) which enabled a trap-style gameplay somewhat. It was fairly crude as you kind of had to be psychic to know where to place them before hand as you had limited recon ability and had to place the LAMs by hand nor could you control when they detonate or who they hit.

Nanowire. Good for breaching and cutting your enemies into bits.

Nano.png

I forgot to add; you can switch out your Mantis Blades for explosives.

Nanowire. Good for breaching and cutting your enemies into bits.

View attachment 11064089

I forgot to add; you can switch out your Mantis Blades for explosives.
I wonder how this will turn out.

I wrote a long ass wet blanket rant but decided not to post it. But let's just say, I'm not all that hyped about it given how other games have handled such abilities.

If I recall correctly Nanowire is for hacking and Monowire is for slicing.

From Miles:
"It's a cyberware called the nanowires, and they're basically a set of strings, almost like a garrote, that is attached to your arms," senior level designer Miles Tost explains in the video. "You pull them out and connect them, and that way you can stealthily kill people. But you can also hack them from a distance, unlocking the ability to quick-hack enemies and upload some powerful malware in them and make them shoot themselves, and all that kind of cybernetic divinity and godhood that you want to have your hacking character do.

"The other cool thing is they're not just for hacking, you can also use them to slice people into tiny bite-sized pieces, because, again, they're really sharp little metal strings and also powerful weapons, so they really come in handy for what you would call combat netrunning."

Not sure if sarcasm …

Guns and knives have been done to death. Combat will effectively feel like CoD reskinned. Guns with guided bullets … basically auto-aim/V.A.T.S. A sword with a thermal edge is still just a sword - it operates in exactly the same way. Arm mods? Basically swords by another name.

Nothing we haven't seen before. In fact, we have seen all these (or something similar) in Deus Ex back in 2000. So excuse me for feeling somewhat disappointed.

PS: Come to think of it, Deus Ex had LAMs (basically proximity mines) which enabled a trap-style gameplay somewhat. It was fairly crude as you kind of had to be psychic to know where to place them before hand as you had limited recon ability and had to place the LAMs by hand nor could you control when they detonate or who they hit.

No bro I'm totally serious and 100 percent agree. Ranged weapons and melee weapons have been done to death cp shouldn't rely on them, time for something new.

Of course I'm being sarcastic, like what do you even mean? "guns and knifes are over done" how can you justify that sentence? I'm at a loss for words reading it, hence the sarcasm.

Last edited:
No bro I'm totally serious and 100 percent agree. Ranged weapons and melee weapons have been done to death cp shouldn't rely on them, time for something new.

Of course I'm being sarcastic, like what do you even mean? "guns and knifes are over done" how can you justify that sentence? I'm at a loss for words reading it, hence the sarcasm.

I think he expects that Cyberpunk 2077, despite the lore having tons of guns, swords, and knives, to not have any of those weapons for some strange reason. I mean, how can Cyberpunk not have guns at the very least? He has to be trolling, because otherwise I don't see how anyone can seriously make that statement.

I wonder if it's still possible, playing as a very skilled hacker, to win most fights by jamming/taking over/disabling other people implants.

Ranged weapons and melee weapons have been done to death cp shouldn't rely on them, time for something new.
You almost got it. Just add one word.

"Ranged weapons and melee weapons have been done to death cp shouldn't rely only on them, time for something new."

Also, Protip: Sarcasm doesn't get across on the web most of the time.

Nothing but guns and knives is the problem - I'm not confident about hacking being useful; explanation below since I will be required to defend myself anyway.

This game will just have combat we have seen a zillion times before in CoD, in Fallout, hell even in Skyrim - just replace the guns with magic and bows. It's such a wasted opportunity given the setting … instead we just got nothing but guns and knives again.

RE: hacking. In most games, it's added because the developer thought, "this is cool" but after the mob comes under your control … the developers don't know what to do.

Half of them instant nerf the controlled mob and it more or less becomes useless as it drops dead nigh instantly achieving nothing of worth. Even if the controlled mob somehow survives, the AI - they almost never put it under your direct control - is too stupid and unpredictable to be useful to you. At most it will act as a short lived distraction. The developers put zero thought into how the turned units can be integrated into the gameplay.

That's assuming the feature doesn't end up completely situational where the developers create specific "hey look, you can hack here" scenarios.

The end result is, hacking just becomes a gimmick that's generally not worth investing in. Easier just to kill everyone outright.

Nanowires … just another knife. I don't get what the big deal is. Thematically it's cool I suppose, just like the thermal katana. But gameplay-wise it's just another melee weapon.

End of the day we will be shooting and stabbing our way to victory … like in every other darn game since Wolf3D.

Last edited:
I am Not sure what everyone expects what weapons should be in there. And if someone pointed the nanowire out it is been said that it is only another knife.

I have a question to All who are disapointed about the weapons inside the game....what weapons should be in there what world you like?

How about some suggestions?

I've seen future-dystopia media such as Blade Runner, Judge Dredd, GitS, Total Recall use both old and high tech guns. Heck, nano-wire is a call back to johnny mnemonic. I think the range of weapons, ESPECIALLY in Mike Pondsmith's world, fits with Cyberpunk 2077.

It'd be like asking for some other new weapon other than rifles and revolvers in a western setting. ... Militech is a huge corp that feeds... I dunno. This is MIKE PONDSMITH'S Cyberpunk. I feel like this message board forgets that.

I dont understand the idea of getting rid of guns, but I get wanting to see NEW uses for them. Maybe that's what you cats are trying to get at.

I have a question to All who are disapointed about the weapons inside the game....what weapons should be in there what world you like?
How about some suggestions?
I've seen future-dystopia media such as Blade Runner, Judge Dredd, GitS, Total Recall use both old and high tech guns.

Drones. I pretty much stole the idea from GitS. In the GitS TV series (and manga) they had the Tachikomas (Fushikomas) that the Major makes extensive uses of during operations, having them secure exit routes and whatnot.

While we can't have drones that are that smart, we can have more numerous dumb drones. Imagine scouting out the place where a deal is going to go down via a cloaked wall crawling drone with video feed, identifying spots where your cloaked gunner drones (of various sizes) can attach themselves (and giving them priority targets), identifying hacking points you can sent your hacking drone with nanowire to hack (to say lock doors and prevent reinforcements from flooding in / prevent your target from escaping, maybe even open external doors to allow your larger, more heavily armored, drones in) ... etc. when things take a turn for the worse.

There are probably even more things they can do (not related to the aforementioned suggestion) that I haven't even thought of.

I dont understand the idea of getting rid of guns
I never said anything about getting rid of guns. I just said that they are really over used. So much so that you can't really tout them as a selling point anymore. Yes, you have a sniper rifle ... but so did every darn game with guns in the last 20 years.

I'm just disappointed that combat-wise it will just be shoot-and-stab-CoD and that nothing much has changed since Deus Ex in 2000 - heck, things might have even devolved a bit; Deus Ex had LAMs that serve as grenades and proximity mines.

Last edited:
Nanowires … just another knife. I don't get what the big deal is. Thematically it's cool I suppose, just like the thermal katana. But gameplay-wise it's just another melee weapon.

They seem cool because we saw them in Johnny Mnemonic, among other cyberpunk productions, I guess that's the reason. But I join your opinion since I find its design genuinely dangerous (dismembering oneself accidentally is just too easy IMO), and incoherent (it's still glowing like hot when wrapped around enemies' neck [edit : for hacking purposes], but this time it doesn't burn/cut ??). And I could develop more against the existence of the nanowire if needed.

For the rest, yeah, hacking gameplay and fight assist A.I. (even A.I. in general) are yet to be treated more seriously, because compared to other aspects of game design, I feel that they're still entrapped in the 2000's more or less. No, apart from graphics, interface, and online support, I don't see a significant leap forward to the next generation of game design.

(off topic) Even videogame graphics don't benefit much from the latest 3D physics improvement ; we still see clothing that clip inside each other or steel armor that deform like rubber, or items that aren't properly held into the hand, and so on.

Last edited:
Drones. I pretty much stole the idea from GitS. In the GitS TV series (and manga) they had the Tachikomas (Fushikomas) that the Major makes extensive uses of during operations, having them secure exit routes and whatnot.

While we can't have drones that are that smart, we can have more numerous dumb drones. Imagine scouting out the place where a deal is going to go down via a cloaked wall crawling drone with video feed, identifying spots where your cloaked gunner drones (of various sizes) can attach themselves (and giving them priority targets), identifying hacking points you can sent your hacking drone with nanowire to hack (to say lock doors and prevent reinforcements from flooding in / prevent your target from escaping, maybe even open external doors to allow your larger, more heavily armored, drones in) ... etc. when things take a turn for the worse.

There are probably even more things they can do (not related to the aforementioned suggestion) that I haven't even thought of.

I never said anything about getting rid of guns. I just said that they are really over used. So much so that you can't really tout them as a selling point anymore. Yes, you have a sniper rifle ... but so did every darn game with guns in the last 20 years.

I'm just disappointed that combat-wise it will just be shoot-and-stab-CoD and that nothing much has changed since Deus Ex in 2000 - heck, things might have even devolved a bit; Deus Ex had LAMs that serve as grenades and proximity mines.

Drones are quite heavily represented already in most modern shooting games. The CoD series you are mentioning had plenty of those. Rainbow Six also. So there is nothing really new in this concept. On the other hand, customizable cyberware, which can also be used as a weapon, is - perhaps not "fresh", because DeusEx comes to my mind, but still interesting. So I'm not really getting what your gripe is, because you are not proposing anything unique or new either.

Drones are quite heavily represented already in most modern shooting games. The CoD series you are mentioning had plenty of those. Rainbow Six also. So there is nothing really new in this concept. On the other hand, customizable cyberware, which can also be used as a weapon, is - perhaps not "fresh", because DeusEx comes to my mind, but still interesting. So I'm not really getting what your gripe is, because you are not proposing anything unique or new either.
I know CoD has a recon drone that gets you everyone's position on the map. No plant in strategic positions "tower defense" style drones that shoot or perform some action though to my knowledge.

And doesn't that make you sad ... even freaking "braindead shooter" CoD has drones ...

I dont understand the idea of getting rid of guns

I can't talk for other people, but I think it's not about getting rid of the "combat" itself, well I mean I think this is more to do with "fighting always wins every situation", which means that in comparison to some aspects of the RPG gameplay, the combat mechanics feel pretty much the same as the shooting games, and its simple design almost grants success.

I feel that other games like action-RPGs could (and should) step aside from the system used in shooter games, and rework the combat design into something that take more in consideration the RPG genre. In short we should do more than just shoot-n-loot the enemies, and the fights should have various outcomes depending on our actions, enhance the narrative with game design.
Post automatically merged:

Oh sweet LAMs... I love them... say "LAM" one more time. :ohstopit:

Last edited: