So what does tech do now? (in terms of combat)

+
im kind of baffled that people are talking more about them removing wallrunning than removing techie as a playstyle,with them recently removing the techie playstyle,i cant help but feel that tech is becoming more of a secondary stat than a primary one compared to the other stats.

Body is useful for melee,tanking and heavy weapon usage
Reflex is useful for DPS and weapons like Assault rifle,pistols and katana
Cool is useful for stealth and snipers
Intelligence is useful for netrunning abilities
Which leaves us to tech before tech was unique for controlling flathead and having more abilities before anyone denies that https://streamable.com/17us2f yes i know that tech is useful for crafting,using energy weapons and some problem solving but in terms of combat i feel its not as unique as the other stats in the game.

Here's what I don't understand: Some people say it's still here while others claim it's been scrapped. Another will it's been reworked into skills only. So which is it?

i believe tech (at least at one point) was attributed to an armor stat, but i can't remember or confirm where i heard that. i believe it's required for the engineering skill, being able to re-hardwire systems to bypass security measures, but this i base on the 2018 demo and could have changed by now (this is the 'problem solving' you mentioned?).

as for combat, i can see its use in stealth, bypassing hardwired security. i hope it's the attribute necessary for disarming traps, and re-arming them against enemy npc's. in the Maelstrom hideout, remember V caught sight of those mines on the steps? i think tech allows you to reprogram those, and not the hacking skill. to me it'd be silly to 'hack' a bomb; makes more sense as a techie to rewire it

Tech stat and skill are in, Techie role is not.
The flathead worked to much like netrunning for bypassing doors, items, people so it was cut. Instead of making the drone/cyberform different and more engineer like for some reason, or like a pet companion class.

TECH the stat helps to increase your armor and to find more scrap/items when looting for crafting (only two things that seem to be confirmed by those who played the preview)

Here's what I don't understand: Some people say it's still here while others claim it's been scrapped. Another will it's been reworked into skills only. So which is it?
I didn't play the tabletop so correct me if im wrong, but the Techie abilities were mostly crafting, repairing, upgrading and modifying your equipment
i think CDPR said that you can craft items, and upgrade your weapons, although im not sure if there a gear degradation/durability system in the game, but you can repair vehicles for example

1.jpg

however, CDPR wanted to the Techie to have more unique gameplay style that didn't exist in the tabletop by having the flathead as your robot companion which is used for hacking, but since you can already do short/long range hacking without it the idea got scrapped

geocp

Forum regular
Netrunner - software expert
Techie - hardware expert

I have the feeling that if you invest in tech points and abilities you will be able to craft parts and upgrades for your gear that will not be otherwise available.

I think that the shops will sell different parts-upgrades than your custom-crafted ones.
If not then what's the point of spending skill points in this category...

Techi class is one of roles from Cyberpunk 2020, it is also copy of Rigger class from Shadowrun, a engineer who use gadgets and his knowledge about technology to finish his job, at first how CDPR talk Techi would use Flathead a spider bot, but now they remove that bot and Techi class since how they say Techi is to much as Netrunning, that sound to stupid since Techi and Netrunners are not same thing not even close, Netrunners are hackers who plug them self in virtual world/network to do some attack or theft of informations and so on, Techi are engineer who build gadgets tools to use in their job, shock bomb, EMP, use bots.... yes both class use technology, but on totally different level and ways.

G30M1

Forum regular
If they're moving techie to just crafting in a menu, then I hope that they at least have gotten better with making their menus intuitive. Crafting in TW3 was so horrible.

Always played a rigger in my shadowrun games (pen&paper and pc games). So I'm a bit bummed about losing the techie.
I may be wrong. But it seems that the flathead was mainly used as a remote control hacking robot. I would still like different ways of doing the same thing. But if hacking does the same in an easier more direct way, most players will probably only use that. And that robot mightbe a lot more difficult to program for all situations in the game. So it could also be a time constraint problem why it is dropped.
Techi class is one of roles from Cyberpunk 2020, it is also copy of Rigger class from Shadowrun, a engineer who use gadgets and his knowledge about technology to finish his job, at first how CDPR talk Techi would use Flathead a spider bot, but now they remove that bot and Techi class since how they say Techi is to much as Netrunning, that sound to stupid since Techi and Netrunners are not same thing not even close, Netrunners are hackers who plug them self in virtual world/network to do some attack or theft of informations and so on, Techi are engineer who build gadgets tools to use in their job, shock bomb, EMP, use bots.... yes both class use technology, but on totally different level and ways.

Didn't they said that Techi would use Flathead the most of all 3 class, and would have wide range of abilities and that Techi would have more option with Flathead.

Shame they scrap Techi as a class, and made it to be just skills for upgradeing weapons and armor.

Every skill tree (roughly) needs the same amount of skills. What probably happens is that Netrunner and Flathead didn't have enough viable skills, but they did have some overlapping skills, which is why they were merged together.

Every skill tree (roughly) needs the same amount of skills. What probably happens is that Netrunner and Flathead didn't have enough viable skills, but they did have some overlapping skills, which is why they were merged together.

Well, they did let many firearms have they own thing even if they are overlapping the same utility (shooting things) but not Netrunner and Techie's Flathead.

Techie's Flathead would have been a great DON'T do it yourself thing, filling a missing utility in the game (the one filled by summons in Fantasy settings).

it is also copy of Rigger class from Shadowrun
the way you word that is pretty disingenuous. Cyberpunk 2013 was published in 1988; Cyberpunk 2020 was published in 1989. Shadowrun was published in 1989. sooo...there's that. also there's really no need to pit one against the other since they're both very good games. it would be better to say, 'if you're familiar with Shadowrun Riggers, Cyberpunk Techies are similar in skill/function'

the way you word that is pretty disingenuous. Cyberpunk 2013 was published in 1988; Cyberpunk 2020 was published in 1989. Shadowrun was published in 1989. sooo...there's that. also there's really no need to pit one against the other since they're both very good games. it would be better to say, 'if you're familiar with Shadowrun Riggers, Cyberpunk Techies are similar in skill/function'

They do?
Last time I played Cyberpunk 2020, Techies were MacGyver not Shadowrun riggers. I would have seen those in C2077 using the flathead as a nolvelty.

Well, they did let many firearms have they own thing even if they are overlapping the same utility (shooting things) but not Netrunner and Techie's Flathead.

Techie's Flathead would have been a great DON'T do it yourself thing, filling a missing utility in the game (the one filled by summons in Fantasy settings).

Maybe so, I am just speculating. I don't know the obstacles the devs were facing when they made the decision to merge both classes. Maybe the skills didn't have enough support in the game to justify their existence.

@KakitaTatsumaru they are similar enough to me that the timeline matters. and they're taking similar concepts (an affinity for external machinery) and doing their own thing with how that affects gameplay mechanics. pretty much all rpg's are taking DnD and rewiring them. my fav example is Trauma Team; taking a healer/cleric and making them fucking terrifying lol. plus, rockerboys are 'bards' in essence but also...they're their own thing, y'know?

Maybe so, I am just speculating. I don't know the obstacles the devs were facing when they made the decision to merge both classes. Maybe the skills didn't have enough support in the game to justify their existence.

Well, it may at the very least have been full combats boost for little flathead, resolving combats for the players in his place which would cover an existing niche of players.
Post automatically merged:

pretty much all rpg's are taking DnD and rewiring them. my fav example is Trauma Team; taking a healer/cleric and making them fucking terrifying lol. plus, rockerboys are 'bards' in essence but also...they're their own thing, y'know?

If you go that far then of course the two will looks similar.

If you go that far then of course the two will looks similar.
that's not a bad thing because those iterations still have their own merits. Shadowruns Riggers are dope in their own way as Cyberpunk's Techies are dope in their own way as DnD's Artificers are dope in their own way etc etc.

It seems like the issues they ran into in converting these classes from the PnP RPG to an FPS RPG lead them to converge on similar solutions for both classes. While it's sad to hear that Techie is gone, hopefully this solution works better than trying to shoehorn it into the game 'just because'.

Top Bottom