So what is actually cyberpunk 2020/2077 about?

+
If the game(s) are inspired by deus ex(conspiracies and human ethics about augmentions) , Akira(dystopia and experiments) , ghost in shell, blade runner ( both basically about what something makes living being and all that cogito ergo sum vibe)

I'm not really familiar with Mike's cyberpunk and somehow I get the idea that it's going to be corporate wars ( game of thrones politics style) and survival of the fittest (punk) themes as a major gist of it.

In shin megami its supernatural for instance and since we know from Mike that augments are like iPhones, that it won't be about morality in that sense. I just don't know if there are androids / cyborgs in this universe.

So are we to except something like mafia game of thrones vibe (most simply put)

Part 1:
For this part, Mike has stated that the original Blade Runner is what inspired him to make Cyberpunk, Deus Ex was released in 2000, 13 years after the initial release of Cyberpunk 2013, Mike's first Cyberpunk. And for Akira and Ghost in the Shell, the anime movies came out after Cyberpunk 2013, while the mangas did have early releases, they were very sketchy since it was during the 80s.

Part 2:
I am familiar with Cyberpunk, those two items aren't really major topics in Cyberpunk 2020, though they are parts of the world. The real topic, for me anyway, has always been trying to survive the streets of Night City. Though everyone has their own idea on what that topic is, this is just my idea.

Part 3:
There are androids and cyborgs, everyone in Cyberpunk is basically already a cyborg and there are many androids, just not in the normal sense of them being humanoids.

Part 4:
From my 10 years of experience, don't expect that at all..also the mafia was almost eradicated by the corps around 2009 if I remember right..so there's that.

Adam Badowski when talking to Polygon:
Inside that interview room, the first public showing of Cyberpunk 2077 was simultaneously a huge success and a catastrophic failure. The situation weighed heavily on Badowski.

“I was expecting a ton of questions,” he told me, “about transhumanism. About the philosophical aspects of humanity.” To him, it seemed like no one in the entire cavalcade of international journalists, including me, had really gotten the point that he and his team were trying to make.

Yeah, I think that even after all these years, a lot of people have no idea what (small-c) cyberpunk is all about. And you have to admit that exploring themes like Transhumanism and it's effect on society are a little tough to explain to folks.

Yeah, I think that even after all these years, a lot of people have no idea what (small-c) cyberpunk is all about. And you have to admit that exploring themes like Transhumanism and it's effect on society are a little tough to explain to folks.
Tougher when most don't really care.
They just want a shooter where they can run a cyborg.

xer21

Forum veteran
Why i think this isn't fair:

Cyberpunk was sprung up, largely as a surprise at E3, with cinematic trailer that doesnt explore these themes outside of a couple of small shots here and there. Then, the gameplay they show the next day is just a mission that doesnt explore any of this either.

The gaming world was largely taken by surprise, and nothing of the promo material really goes into this. As such, im not surprised no one asked those questions: 1) they were all scrambilng to get even basic details about the game few expected to be such a big deal at E3. 2) you're talking 2 days prep time when they're already covering everything else, and your promo material itself isnt actuallly asking the questions either.

They shouldnt be surprised at such basic questions imo.

Also if you want questions about transhumanism you don't make a trailer about shooting and driving fast.

The problem is that the philosophical conundrums of transhumanism don't make for an eye-catching trailer. And when CDPR is up against all the other companies at E3 they need to make sure their video stands out.

It's about one man/woman and their love of blowing shit up and shooting fuckers for money. And driving away in cool cars.

There may or may not be some deeper message. I dunno. Look at the pretty explosions!

Seriously, you know this is exactly what most gamers and reviewers are going to get out of it.

Why i think this isn't fair:

Cyberpunk was sprung up, largely as a surprise at E3, with cinematic trailer that doesnt explore these themes outside of a couple of small shots here and there. Then, the gameplay they show the next day is just a mission that doesnt explore any of this either.

(...)
They shouldnt be surprised at such basic questions imo.

Agreed. There is one scene in the demo, the replacement of an eye but Transhumanism wasn't a topic in the demo. There wasn't much time to explore that anyway, there was much more shooting going on, more emphasis on doing a mission, get money, get fucked (by the corporation I mean), choices, verticality of the world. There wasn't really anything in the demo to talk about Transhumanism and philosophy about humanities nature.

I do think the Trailer teased a bit more here with: Lizzy Wizzy, the woman without half her face, the guy in the shuttle and the Arasaka conference. But it wasn't really made a topic, because there was no narrative to it. It is just there and not embedded in anything you could talk about really apart from "that was cool looking".

Honestly, I find the whole "moral" debate with Transhumanism kind of boring. Humanity transcends natural limitations, that's what we do and have been doing since we learned to harness fire. I think the real opportunities Cyberpunk has is looking at a world that prizes the self, consumerism, fame, and financial success to such a degree that murdering each other to satisfy our wants just seems like a fore-drawn conclusion.

We've been eroding our Humanity for as long as we could contemplate its existence, cyberpsychosis is just 2077's scape-goat.

In my opinion that's the real driver of the dark/gritty hopeless reality of good cyberpunk stories.

Mainstory line is pretty clear since 2013. "Becoming Urban Legend" "Not saving the world, but saving yourself" etc... It will be personal story. Probably side story lines will explore transhumanism, politics and other interesting subjects.

No specifics on story as yet, but you can expect a world where the only way to the top is by treading on your fellow man or cyborg.

The problem is that the philosophical conundrums of transhumanism don't make for an eye-catching trailer. And when CDPR is up against all the other companies at E3 they need to make sure their video stands out.
absolutely. But I do think that if they go that route (and they did), they shouldn't expect people to ignore the trailer and start asking about the themes of cyberpunk as a literary genre.

I just lost track of a link where Patrick Mills said in an interview that CP 2020 was created partially as a reaction to Thatcher, Reagan and 80's era politics. I get that. But then he goes on to say 'turn on your TV, it all came true'. Ehh...not really. Like not at all. I hope they can keep real world politics out of this. This is in fact exhibit A of why to keep real world politics out of your game.

Link: https://www.gameinformer.com/rpg-gr...er-into-kingdom-hearts-iii-and-cyberpunk-2077

I hope they can keep real world politics out of this. This is in fact exhibit A of why to keep real world politics out of your game.
they've always been political though.

Real world politics SHOULD be addressed in games. Its art, it should address whatever is important to the creators. Should paitings and music eschew real world politics too?

I
they've always been political though.

Real world politics SHOULD be addressed in games. Its art, it should address whatever is important to the creators. Should paitings and music eschew real world politics too?
Should have said current day politics. And trying to implement that stuff into a game like this is playing with fire. Witcher dealt more with human universals and kept the politics relevant to the setting. It never tried to shoehorn any contemporary messaging in. That's all I'm saying.

Yo, i be new :)

love the concept and the ghost in the shell linked-in hacks shot in the trailer. Since this is all tech what will scavengers and techs (crafters) be like in this? would be cool to see two types a hardware and cyber aspects for scavenger (grinder/gatherer) and crafters (hardware and NET/coders).

Should have said current day politics. Witcher dealt more with human universals and kept the politics relevant to the setting. It never tried to shoehorn any contemporary messaging in .
i dunno, the messaging felt pretty rooted in contemporary issues to me. its not just about the mission structure and morals, but how the world itself was constructed. especially the way they handled female characters and abuse in relationships.

it wasnt shoehorned in though. just because a game has modern messaging doesnt mean its automatically shoehorned in.

And trying to implement that stuff into a game like this is playing with fire.
You're assuming the devs are concerned with avoiding controversy.

im all for it. politically tumultuous climates deserve politically bold commentary in art. Rock n roll in the 60's was all the better for the overt political topics.

Top Bottom