So With GOTY Released Does That Mean EE is Officially Dead?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey man, your comment got liked and redpointed by a RED EMPLOYEE. Your now an enlightened member of the thread.

Yeah...that was pretty awesome. :D

It's only happened twice before. I can't remember the second time, but I remember the first time. Marcin gave me a "Thanks" and a "REDpoint" for criticizing leaks. I was like "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?".

However i strongly disagree on that. Giving us free DLC was a great decision, but it showed them being thankful and their support for the games and it also made them a much loved and respected development company. I don't want CDPR to fall down like Bethesda has done recently, i used to respect Bethesda but now, just like EA,Ubisoft, Activision they are just your typical release shitty games and money whore the fuck out of them. CDPR is special.

Yeah...it was an awesome choice, and goes to show how special they are as developers, but it also lead to a ton of whining.

Fans wouldn't feel the need for an EE edition if they corrected their original mistakes... What is with the Yen/Ciri situation? More dialogue with Yen at the end of Corvo Bianco since it's meant to be their home together and the goodbye of Geralt and you get 6 minutes of dialogue. Fleshing out Act 3, more screentime or "storytime" about the main enemy Eredin. Don't get me wrong the game itself is amazing but you can't deny there was mistakes in the base game. Also i would prefer if they did an E.E edition fixing this issues over the 16 free DLC anyday...

The problem is, every fan out there has a different idea of what needs to be fixed. If they listened to everyone, or even the most popular points, it would be an INCREDIBLE amount of work. It simply isn't feasible. And, even then, there would still be people complaining about this, that, or the other.

I didn't wait 4 years to play 2 expansions and 16 free dlc.

But still, great stuff.

I understand where you're coming from. I guess it's simply a matter of personal preference.

Thank you! That's the EXACT point I've being trying to drive home for months. But, it seems that it takes the magic of a RED for people to actually understand it. The Complete Edition of TW3 has more content than both entire previous games (Along with their EEs.) combined.

I think one of C.D.P.R.'s bigger mistakes was giving us free DLC, because the fans now feel like they deserve more in the form of an E.E..

You are completely missing the point, it's not a matter of the amount of content, but the main story itself needing more content, they can do extra content all they want and I applaud them for it as I enjoyed the expansions and some of the extra quests, but the main story itself still suffers, their priorities do not make any sense.

You are completely missing the point, it's not a matter of the amount of content, but the main story itself needing more content, they can do extra content all they want and I applaud them for it as I enjoyed the expansions and some of the extra quests, but the main story itself still suffers, their priorities do not make any sense.

I DO get the point, I simply don't think it would be the best allocation of their resources. Look at my post above (Where I was responding to a post from @Mrwhitey998.).

Also, previous EEs focused on additional content, rather than a beefier plot.

Well they do make sense if you follow making the bottom line, and bamboozling everyone with variety. Not the same thing as conscientiousness with plot, though.

@KingHochmeister
I used to think the same until I thought more of how Radovid suddenly took Novigrad, and then things like how Ge'els made his decision did not make sense, then I read the cut content and it all made sense.

Yup. It usually takes tons of more time to 'edit out' without damaging the Whole than it does for generating new content. One would think that this is kept in mind when planning for post-release changes.

Last edited:
I DO get the point, I simply don't think it would be the best allocation of their resources. Look at my post above (Where I was responding to a post from @Mrwhitey998.).

Also, previous EEs focused on additional content, rather than a beefier plot.

If CDPR does not think fixing some plotholes in the main story that they created is worth it, then I am very very afraid for their future games.

Also the W2 EE brought some cutscenes that further explained things, which is what W3 precisely needs at the very least for the last act for the many unexplained plots it has.

Well they do make sense if you follow making the bottom line, and bamboozling everyone with variety. Not the same thing as conscientiousness with plot, though.

I used to think the same until I thought more of how Radovid suddenly took Novigrad, and then things like how Ge'els made his decision did not make sense, then I read the cut content and it all made sense.

Last edited:
I think one of C.D.P.R.'s bigger mistakes was giving us free DLC, because the fans now feel like they deserve more in the form of an E.E..
No. that's not a mistake, that's a very smart and generous movement, they step away from the greedy companies, and etc... all that you already know ;)

IF there is a mistake it's not showing the final product, and showing the work in process as final product, what the people need to see is what they get when they install it, they don't buy the work in progress. Simple.

Back on topic: IF there is an EE. the people expect very few things: Iorveth, cutscenes/cinematics instead of slideshows, a few more lines for the Wild Hunt. That's all.

I'm too direct, but I never intend to attack anyone :affection:

No. that's not a mistake, that's a very smart and generous movement, they step away from the greedy companies, and etc... all that you already know ;)

It IS smart and generous, but it also led to a lot of whining from the fans.

IF there is a mistake it's not showing the final product, and showing the work in process as final product, what the people need to see is what they get when they install it, they don't buy the work in progress. Simple.

A work in progress is just that: a work in progress. Those "work in progress" videos were the reason why most fans are so upset at the things they are upset about. If a fan doesn't understand the concept that what you see in early-build videos isn't necessarily what you're going to get, then said fans shouldn't watch said videos. They are just asking for disappointment.

Back on topic: IF there is an EE. the people expect very few things: Iorveth, cutscenes/cinematics instead of slideshows, a few more lines for the Wild Hunt. That's all.

Every single person who thinks there should be an E.E. has a totally different idea of what should be in it. This is the first time in this thread that I'm hearing about your latter two suggestions. The only thing that has been brought up repeatedly is Iorveth. So, even if they fixed everything YOU had a problem with, there would still be a million people whining about other things.

I'm too direct, but I never intend to attack anyone :affection:

Don't worry. You're not being too direct. I can handle a mature debate. ;)

At times like this, when I pause to consider the feelings and thoughts of artists and their creations, I recall a vaguely relevant little something that Tolkien wrote in the foreword to the Second Edition of The Lord of the Rings:
J.R.R. Tolkien said:
But even from the points of view of many who have enjoyed my story there is much that fails to please. It is perhaps not possible in a long tale to please everybody at all points, nor to displease everybody at the same points; for I find from the letters that I have received that the passages or chapters that are to some a blemish are all by others specially approved. The most critical reader of all, myself, now finds many defects, minor and major, but being fortunately under no obligation either to review the book or to write it again, he will pass over these in silence, except one that has been noted by others: the book is too short.
(Emphasis mine.)

I rather wonder if the REDs feel something similar, a mixture of frustrated regret and profound relief, regarding their own work. . . . Mere food for thought.

At times like this, when I pause to consider the feelings and thoughts of artists and their creations, I recall a vaguely relevant little something that Tolkien wrote in foreward to the Second Edition of The Lord of the Rings: (Emphasis mine.)

I rather wonder if the REDs feel something similar, a mixture of frustrated regret and profound relief, regarding their own work. . . . Mere food for thought.
They've got time,a great world space and some good and solid lore..provided they retain an interest in what the majority of the fans want they'll be back in earnest.

...provided they retain an interest in what the majority of the fans want ...

What exactly do you mean by "majority"? The number of people who frequent these forums at any given time is about 35. That is a very small percentage of the six million plus gamers who purchased TW3. And even among the forum goers, there is great disagreement about what exactly needs to be done in a hypothetical Enhanced Edition. Some want to see improvements to Yennefer and Ciri's relationship, others are angry about the absence of Iorveth and Saskia. Still others want to see more depth given to the antagonist Eredin, and yes, there are still some who want more romantic content added to the game. And as for free time? They are already working on Cyberpunk 2077, an unannounced AAA IP, and the new standalone Gwent game.

What exactly do you mean by "majority"? The number of people who frequent these forums at any given time is about 35. That is a very small percentage of the six million plus gamers who purchased TW3. And even among the forum goers, there is great disagreement about what exactly needs to be done in a hypothetical Enhanced Edition. Some want to see improvements to Yennefer and Ciri's relationship, others are angry about the absence of Iorveth and Saskia. Still others want to see more depth given to the antagonist Eredin, and yes, there are still some who want more romantic content added to the game. And as for free time? They are already working on Cyberpunk 2077, an unannounced AAA IP, and the new standalone Gwent game.

I would suspect that the majority of the Witcher fans (6M you say) would want another Witcher game...and taking into account the growing success of the franchise one would suspect that that is what they'll get.A franchise growing, moving further into it's own canon and away from that of the books.That's been very well done thus far for me (the adaption from books to games)
As to plot particulars,you can't please everybody but you can canvas opinion in a multitude of ways and relatively cheaply.The writers (for me) so far have done a good job imo and there's good foundations (lore-wise) to build on.
I never mentioned 'free' time merely that they had time..time created by the financial success of the wild hunt.Time to keep the franchise improving at the rate it has.
Bodes well for me.

We can all hope.

I for one hope for a fleshed out Act 3 with more eredin, better politics, and an actual scene of the third northern war.

Even when we have differents points of view about what can be improved, I would say that the majority of players admits that the main story it's full of holes and it badly needs an EE. I've been asking for Iorveth's content since the beggining but I would sacrify that for better politics or, at least, a decent fix for Reasons of State. And given what we've seen, CDPR has no intention to do anything about it. Not now, not in the future

The problem is that it wasn't sold as "work in progress", it was sold as part of the game which was already completed. And I think that's the bottom of all these problems. They, intentionally, created a hype about the game. They told everyone what they wanted to hear. That the game was going to be an epic conclusion for the fans and a easy game for the newcomers. And all this combine with an open world. It was going to be the best RPG of all times. There was a general view about it both in the media and the players. But for some reason, they cut a lot of content, they ignored Iorveths path and the save import (despite of the possibility of simulate the saves, which is useless), they downgrade the graphics and simplify many aspects of the story. All this, according to the leaks, was done like a year before the release but they kept sending the same messages. In the end, the hype was so fucking high that no one in the media had the courage to say where were the flaws except for some reviews llike this one http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-...m-and-thats-why-its-so-good?utm_source=VGfbuk

Personally, I don't understand why some people are agree or tolerate this way of marketing a product. Basically you are selling something that, partially, doesn't exist. And that's, IMO, it's the main reason why so many suggestions have been ignored and the possibility of an EE it's 0%. If they do such thing, that would imply that the game it's not perfect like they and the mainstream opinion have repeatedly said. Even before anyone was able to play the game. And they won't do that. And, as another user mentioned before, it seems that the decision was taken many time ago. IMO, the final result is that the "old fans" were almost abandoned except for a few things and even those who doesn't feel that way admits that the main story it's clearly improvable and it's far from the quality of TW2's plot.

Or maybe, it's just that the game is really perfect and there just a few of us who prefers the adult stories of the previous games instead of open worlds and good vs evil. But we are so few that we don't deserve to be taken into account. At this point, I think it's nonsense to keep asking for an EE. Sadly, were are not profitable

Yep, i have said this also a few times....
Doesn't matter if the stories are getting worse and worse, because they will sell good enough...
Game finished-> up to the next....

Agree

Last edited:

No offense but that statement is just more than wrong...
Again, the goal of an EE is NOT to add a huge amount of Content, the purpose is to make the main game better....
That could have been done even without new playable content or Quests etc......
Example : A few dialogues here and there. Maybe some flashbacks, or dreams, etc etc...

Btw, i would have gladly swapped the 16 free Dlcs for a better main story....
Because..
quality over quantity

If CDPR does not think fixing some plotholes in the main story that they created is worth it, then I am very very afraid for their future games.

Yep, i have said this also a few times....
Doesn't matter if the stories are getting worse and worse, because they will sell good enough...
Game finished-> up to the next....

Last edited:

This is CDPR, not JRR Tolkien, and I know for a damned certainty if they were allowed to make an EE that they would do it, there is a big difference between offering a final product like a book and a product that can be improved upon like a story-heavy videogame with important flaws in its narrative.

---------- Updated at 11:00 AM ----------

While you do have a point, I doubt those millions would be against having a better last act for the main story, if you look at discussions and actually talk with people that actually finished the main game that a huge percentage of them would agree that the last act felt rushed, there are still people that think the GOTY edition brings new content to the table, that is how much CDPR's image is high even among people that do not actively check on their activity.

CDPR made really questionable to downright bad decisions the past few years, I hope they learn from it and not slowly start to become "lazy", even though their definition of "lazy" would be considered by many other game developers to be "crazy" instead.

Last edited:
No offense but that statement is just more than wrong...
Again, the goal of an EE is NOT to add a huge amount of Content, the purpose is to make the main game better....
That could have been done even without new playable content or Quests etc......
Example : A few dialogues here and there. Maybe some flashbacks, or dreams, etc etc...

Btw, i would have gladly swapped the 16 free Dlcs for a better main story....

16 free Dlc's for a better main story AND a better post-ending...the post ending is just immersion breaking as hell.

And a main problem is also that Cyberpunk 2077...i think they fixed themselves too much on that Game now!

But they have to realize that The Witcher series is their most important product! And they have gained a lot of supporters and fans with the witcher games.
So leaving us Witcher fans alone...makes things far worser!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom