[SOLVED] Getting within 50 meters of nomads crashes the game instantly

+
So I have this very strange issue when getting within 50 meters of nomads, entering Jackson plains (from the city side) or sometimes entering the Badlands, instantly crashes the game. The weird thing is I have experienced very few other bugs up until this point (apart from some minor / funny ones) and if you avoid the areas mentioned above, the game will play completely fine for hours with no issues whatsoever. Missions, side jobs, gigs are all fine as long as they don't involve getting within 50 meters of nomads, entering Jackson plains or entering the Badlands obviously. Aiming at the problem areas with a sniper scope or with the scanner also cause the game to crash from A LOT further away. Quick saving or manual saving within 100m causes the game to crash in the loading screen when trying to reload the save, forcing me to revert to an older save which is further than 100m away. This bug is very game breaking as I have 8 or 9 side jobs and 1 gig (rescuing Hwabango, where he is collected by nomads) which are impossible to complete as the game crashes during them. This is a new issue to, when I first started playing I had no problems and did many missions with Panam and the Nomads. Then one day seemingly out of nowhere this started happening. Here are some Hardware and software specs + some info that might be of use.

CPU: Intel I5-9600K 3.7Ghz (OC'd to around 4.5Ghz)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 (MSI Gaming x Trio)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @ 2133Mhz
The Drive the game is on: Toshiba P300 3TB 3.5 Inch HDD @ 7200RPM
Launcher: Steam

Yes, I've updated my drivers before anyone asks. I'm using GRD Version 460.89. I've also tried closing unnecessary background programs that might be interfering, disabling the steam overlay, etc. All of them changed nothing for me. Any suggestions on how to fix or info on when it will be patched are greatly appreciated. TIA.

EDIT:

[SOLVED]

Don't know why I didn't try this straight away......... Basically steam has a feature called "Verify integrity of game files", I've known about this for a while and have fixed issues with other games in the past from using it. Completely forgot it existed I guess. Anyway I ran it and.......17.5GB FAILED TO VERIFY! Not sure how so much of it became corrupted or why, but it's a miracle the game was running as good as it was! Since doing this I have had literally zero crashes or bugs of any serious note.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions!

Last edited:
I would reinstall the game. Because it's acting like that portion of the map has a corrupted file. If it consistently happens when you get in range of that area. But you could test this if u start a new game and drive to that area. If it doesn't happen. Something broke in the save file. A quest or some other thing.

I would reinstall the game. Because it's acting like that portion of the map has a corrupted file. If it consistently happens when you get in range of that area. But you could test this if u start a new game and drive to that area. If it doesn't happen. Something broke in the save file. A quest or some other thing.

Ok I'll give it a test, if something has broken in the save file though is it repairable? If not I'll have to cut my loses I suppose :/. Thanks for the help!

Your ram speed is slow and having this on a HDD is also not a good idea. Basically you can't process fast enough and it's crashing your game. There is an option for HDD in the options that you could turn on and see if that fixes anything.

Your ram speed is slow and having this on a HDD is also not a good idea. Basically you can't process fast enough and it's crashing your game. There is an option for HDD in the options that you could turn on and see if that fixes anything.
Nonsense, I played the game on a HDD and lower speed ram and it run fine not a single crash.

Yes, I've updated my drivers before anyone asks. I'm using GRD Version 460.89. I've also tried closing unnecessary background programs that might be interfering, disabling the steam overlay, etc. All of them changed nothing for me. Any suggestions on how to fix or info on when it will be patched are greatly appreciated. TIA.
Try uninstalling your drivers and install the version 457.30, Load a previous save.

There is an option for HDD in the options that you could turn on and see if that fixes anything.
Just tried this, no luck. Still crashes the same. Thanks for the suggestion tho.
Post automatically merged:

Nonsense, I played the game on a HDD and lower speed ram and it run fine not a single crash.
Try uninstalling your drivers and install the version 457.30, Load a previous save.
Yes, you're right. As stated above my HDD has never had issues like this before, even on CP so I doubt it's that. I thought 2133mhz was fast for RAM, my previous computer had 8gb and something like 1633mhz so I don't think this is the problem. Although that was long before CP days.

As for the drivers, I tried version 457.30 and still crashes sadly :(. I also tried version 460.79 instead of 460.89(Latest driver) and also still crashes just the same. Thanks for the suggestions though, I appreciate the help.

Looks like I'm going to have to re-install, been trying to avoid doing this as my internet is very slow (Around 2-5 Mbps) and installing it last time took nearly 12 hours. I might wait until the next patch just in case this fixes it, although I'm not hopeful.

Thanks Everyone.

Last edited:
So I have this very strange issue when getting within 50 meters of nomads, entering Jackson plains (from the city side) or sometimes entering the Badlands, instantly crashes the game. The weird thing is I have experienced very few other bugs up until this point (apart from some minor / funny ones) and if you avoid the areas mentioned above, the game will play completely fine for hours with no issues whatsoever. Missions, side jobs, gigs are all fine as long as they don't involve getting within 50 meters of nomads, entering Jackson plains or entering the Badlands obviously. Aiming at the problem areas with a sniper scope or with the scanner also cause the game to crash from A LOT further away. Quick saving or manual saving within 100m causes the game to crash in the loading screen when trying to reload the save, forcing me to revert to an older save which is further than 100m away. This bug is very game breaking as I have 8 or 9 side jobs and 1 gig (rescuing Hwabango, where he is collected by nomads) which are impossible to complete as the game crashes during them. This is a new issue to, when I first started playing I had no problems and did many missions with Panam and the Nomads. Then one day seemingly out of nowhere this started happening. Here are some Hardware and software specs + some info that might be of use.

CPU: Intel I5-9600K 3.7Ghz (OC'd to around 4.5Ghz)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 (MSI Gaming x Trio)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @ 2133Mhz
The Drive the game is on: Toshiba P300 3TB 3.5 Inch HDD @ 7200RPM
Launcher: Steam

I'm with you. I noticed it while doing the Badlands race as part of the Beast In Me missions. But I've since tried it outside the missions, and there's just an area of the map near the Badlands that instantly crashes the game to desktop...

Does that ram not have an XMP profile? 2133 MT/s is like the base JDEC spec. Regarding your crashing, I'd guess at it being an issue with your save or world state but couldn't verify that without access.

Last edited:
Does that ram not have an XMP profile? 2133 MT/s is like the base JDEC spec.

It's supposed to be 3000mhz DDR4, but enabling XMP or setting memory speeds above 2133mhz causes windows recovery to appear or gives the error "The previous overclock settings have failed, system restored to default settings. Press Alt+L to load last known good configuration and continue." Anyway this has been an issue for a while I think, definitely before I got CP at least. Probably should think about replacing it tbh.

[SOLVED]

Don't know why I didn't try this straight away......... Basically steam has a feature called "Verify integrity of game files", I've known about this for a while and have fixed issues with other games in the past from using it. Completely forgot it existed I guess. Anyway I ran it and.......17.5GB FAILED TO VERIFY! Not sure how so much of it became corrupted or why, but it's a miracle the game was running as good as it was! Since doing this I have had literally zero crashes or bugs of any serious note.

Damn, with this short paragraph....you just might have possibly fixed thousands of computers. ;)

Top Bottom