[SOLVED] IMPORTANT: PC version vulnerability

+

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
If you plan to use Cyberpunk mods/custom saves on PC, use caution. We've been made aware of a vulnerability in external DLL files the game uses which can be used to execute code on PCs. Issue will be fixed ASAP. For now, please refrain from using files from unknown sources.

Edit:
The vulnerability has been addressed in Hotfix 1.12.

Last edited:
Who disclosed this vulnerability?
So we can give some kudos to the group/person who found this :giggle:

asavah

Forum regular
The exploit has been publicly known for 3 days prior to this announcement.
CDPR is as diligent as ever. Guys at CDPR: please stop sucking already.
Post automatically merged:

I heard Cyber Engine Tweaks fixing it, so I guess developer of this mod.. I wouldn't be surprised :)

If you plan to use Cyberpunk mods/custom saves on PC, use caution. We've been made aware of a vulnerability in external DLL files the game uses which can be used to execute code on PCs. Issue will be fixed ASAP. For now, please refrain from using files from unknown sources.

Thanks for the heads up. Never used any mods and don't plan on using any. Honestly with the glitches and bugs happening around the game I can't see how using external mods would not make the situation potentially even worse. Just hoping you guys can add more contents soon. Ran out of things to do in the game since 2 weeks ago =(

todduk

Forum regular
Using any external software is risky, not surprising.

EDIT: looking at the github link above it seems the vulnerability is in the save loading? Very odd.

Last edited:

Yea...like anything else wait for a bit before you try the mod. I only use the official nexus ones that use the launcher. Don't ruin mods, its like one of the best things about PC gaming. Thank you for letting us know :)

Ok, I feel like I need to say something, this kind of bad practice has to stop.

Let me introduce myself, I am yamashi the creator of Cyber Engine Tweaks.

I wasn't planing on saying anything but since we, the modders, are getting blamed for this, I can't just stand on the sidelines and take it.

What CDPR posted above is WRONG, it isn't caused by an external DLL, the vulnerability is caused by a buffer overflow in a function they use to load strings, this function is used more than 100 times in the game, it is used to load the save games, the archive assets and other parts that we haven't investigated. This is 100% CDPR's fault, it isn't anybody else's fault. This is caused by a lack of proper unit testing.

What happened to owning up to your mistakes CDPR? Not only did PixelRick communicate this a week ago and you didn't do anything (this should have been hotfixed a few hours after you knew about it), but then you go public lying about the nature of the vulnerability so that modders take the fall for this? What we do, we do for free, we aren't your scapegoat, and this is definitely on you. The fact that we redirect the buffer overflow to xinput because it doesn't have ASLR does not mean that it's xinput's fault, we shouldn't be able to access xinput in the first place.

Just so you know everyone this isn't just a PC issue, every platform is affected.

It has been exploited to gain access to Geforce NOW already, maybe you should explain to NVIDIA how it is not your fault CDPR, I am not sure that's going to work once they audit the exe.

Addendum:

I am not saying CDPR explicitly said mods are an issue here, my problem is with the incorrect information and vague description leading to of course many people, including media sites, to misunderstand and think the issue here is mods. Phrasing it like "We have been made aware of a vulnerability in the game's code making it possible to execute code in the game by loading a malicious save, therefore we recommend you stay away from custom saves and archive assets until we release a patch for this" would in my opinion have been a lot better.

It happens, we all fuck up sometimes in code, it's easy to make a mistake like this one (though proper unit testing would likely have prevented that), none of us blame CDPR or the programmers for the vulnerability, we are disappointed by the way it was handled, very slow reaction and misrepresenting the issue (intentionally or not).

Please, in the future, use more transparency, your players only want to play a great game, showing you care and explaining what's going on won't hurt you.

Last edited:
Oh no....
Many props to PixelRick & yamasushi, you guys deserve credit for disclosing this.
PixelRick should at the very least get some public recognition (hall of fame ...) from CDPR for finding this security vulnerability, that's a best practice & common courtesy :)

What's next?

"Becareful if you start the game, it can brick your system. We are currently working on a fix.":ROFLMAO:

So several questions remain:

What is the real nature of the vulnerability? Clearly there is a disagreement here about what is broken and how it can be exploited?

Why did it take CDPR so long to disclose when Mod authors began patching their own programs first?

Top Bottom