(Solved) No easy method of changing between DX11 and DX12 for GOG users

+
On the Steam release of the game there is a Launcher that lets you choose what graphics API the game will use, on GOG this Launcher does not seem to exist so there is no easy way to change between DX 11 and DX 12 (I realize I can just navigate to the games installation and launch the relevant EXE, but this isn't something a lot of people know how to do).

Is there a Command Line Argument people can use to launch DX 11 mode?

Edit: In GOG Galaxy click the button to the right of the Play button and the top choice should let you launch the DX 11 version of the game.

Last edited:
Try going into the x64 directory, right click on the EXE and create a shortcut then move that shortcut to your desktop and start the game with it. GOG won't start up but do you really need it running in the background? If you do want it running then just start it up and then use your new shortcut to start the game

Turns out GOG Galaxy does have a means of launching DX11 mode, I've updated my original post.

Which API is running better? I switched to DX11, but I don't see an option to switch back to DX12

Last edited:
Which API is running better? I switched to DX11, but I don't see an option to switch back to DX12
By default the game launches in DX 12 mode on GOG, you have to go through the steps I outlined at the end of my original post to launch it in DX 11 mode.

Depends on your CPU. Some people with older CPUs are having problems with low CPU utilization with DX12 but on my 5800x I really didn't see any difference between the two in FPS or graphics quality running all Ultra+ settings with RT off because RT/DLSS 2 seemed to be bugged. The reason I tried DX11 was completely by mistake as I added some mods and the Witcher 3 Mod Manager was still defaulted to the x64 folder and when I started the game after adding a couple of mods it started in DX11 with no RT options available and it took me a few minutes to figure out why I had RT running from GOG but not from the Witcher 3 Mod Manager

Top Bottom