Some notes on Steam Cloud Saving

+
Hi,

first post and happy to be here! I'd be very happy if you helped me. As this topic is spot-on, I apologize in advance for necroing this thread, but I don't know what do to (TW2:EE on Steam). My game won't start anymore after trying to launch it via, well, the launcher.

Had the Cloud disabled in forever, only switched it back on in order to try out Cers' solution in this thread (#9), because I wanted to move my saves to MyDocuments, too.

Everything went well until Step 4): No sync conflict, instead Setup window popping up. I let it do its thing and tried to start TW2 afterwards. Didn't work.

I'd made a backup of the deleted file (saves + remotecache.vdf) and pasted them back in thinking that'd fix it but that didn't do it.
I've been hunting for a fix for hours now and decided to give it a go on the forum to give people an opportunity to laugh at me or beg them to help me ;) I started TW2 two days ago and love it already, so I'd really like to get it working again.

Thank you in advance!

abspenst said:
Hi,

first post and happy to be here! I'd be very happy if you helped me. As this topic is spot-on, I apologize in advance for necroing this thread, but I don't know what do to (TW2:EE on Steam). My game won't start anymore after trying to launch it via, well, the launcher.

Had the Cloud disabled in forever, only switched it back on in order to try out Cers' solution in this thread (#9), because I wanted to move my saves to MyDocuments, too.

Everything went well until Step 4): No sync conflict, instead Setup window popping up. I let it do its thing and tried to start TW2 afterwards. Didn't work.

I'd made a backup of the deleted file (saves + remotecache.vdf) and pasted them back in thinking that'd fix it but that didn't do it.
I've been hunting for a fix for hours now and decided to give it a go on the forum to give people an opportunity to laugh at me or beg them to help me ;)/>/> I started TW2 two days ago and love it already, so I'd really like to get it working again.

Thank you in advance!

Does the game start via the witcher 2 exe ? You can find the exe in
Steam\steamapps\common\The Witcher 2\bin .

Then go to Steam\Userdata\Your Steam ID\ 20920 and delete the 20920 folder for the witcher 2 . Be sure and back this folder up first outside of Steam just in case of unforeseen issues .

Still with me...good . Now click Start>Documents>Witcher2>Config>User . Right click the User file and select Edit and when the file opens scroll down until you see
[FileSystem]
CloudStorage and change true to false then click file and save .

Also do a file integrity check before doing the above procedure just to make sure all files are ok .

Thanks for the quick reply.

Clicking on the Witcher 2 exe prompts the setup to install DivX and such, same as when I tried to get the sync conflict earlier on. The files are ok, apparently (did the check).

Did as you suggested, neither launcher nor the w2 exe work. By the way, I get that windows popup that TW2 doesn't run anymore when I try to start via the launcher.

Very curious problem, as I made a backup of all the files I (re)moved. I guess I need to re-install?

I tried the registry check, to no avail. Thanks for the tip though.

I can't believe moving some files from A to B (or Steam/userdata/... to MyDoc in my case) can do something like that, I didn't touch anything else afaik.

Ran both steam exe and tw2 exe as administrator by now, still no luck. To sum up, circumventing the launcher doesn't work, and I don't get a Steam error (as game files seem to be fine), but the error message from Windows. TW2 worked just fine before I decided to change the savegame directory. Now I wish I would've just let the save files be. Oh well. Any other idea? Otherwise I might just as well start TW1 again...

Rebooted a couple of times now, still no TW2. I'm really puzzled right now. Could the gamecache validating thing be wrong? It worked before, drivers + .Net + whathaveyou are properly installed and didn't make trouble before the move of the savegames. I might just try and explain it to tech support, but I'm going to uninstall it first and download from GOG, maybe that'll work. I'd appreciate any suggestions on this, as I've yet to find that issue adressed by any thread I've come across so far...

Just deleted my 20920 folder and changed the User.ini file exited Steam and restarted the game and let it go through the 1st time setup . The game starts and plays fine . Although Steam recreated the 20920 folder but I have Steamcloud disabled but it saved in steam anyway .

But to answer your question yes sometimes it takes several tries before validating will pick up a bad file . Oh before I forget for me when starting the game after the 1st time setup the launcher will "hang" for about 30 seconds before it finally launches .

Hey again, thanks for trying, yeah had Cloud disabled from the beginning but the saves still were in the Steam folder.
Anyways, I installed the GOG version now and it works fine. Still no idea what was the problem after all, but I'm just glad it works again and I can play. Thanks for your taking your time to help me :)

Ok, stupid question, so how do you "save" a game...there isnt an option I have found....granted I just got the game today and havent played much...but everytime I start, I only get the option of starting a new game....if I go to "Load Save game" nothing is there.

Ok, stupid question, so how do you "save" a game...there isnt an option I have found....granted I just got the game today and havent played much...but everytime I start, I only get the option of starting a new game....if I go to "Load Save game" nothing is there.
Pressing F5 will quicksave and in your save files there will be only one quicksave . Try pressing Esc and you should see an option to save while in game .

Hi.
Basically, I have an issue, where I cannot load any saved games on a Steam version.
Everything saved to either cloud, or locally has save game file size of 1kb for all 3 types of saves - manual, quick and auto - meaning, I either finish game in one go without dying, or I cannot play it.
I have tried everything imaginable - switching between local and cloud saves (annoying process, I might add), rechecking game files, checking file permissions (shouldnt matter, if at least some kind of file was created), deleting witcher document folders and letting game create them again.
And only autosaves actually make that save Picture file, quicksaves and manual saves does not.
Computer is the same as I had before when it worked - Win 8.1, Phenom II 920, 8GB RAM, AMD 6870 1GB.
Problems appeared today when I installed Witcher again, deleted some old saves from cloud, from within the game, Those were the last ones I could ever see in the load menu.

I dont realy want to try GoG version, cause achievements...

Hi.
Basically, I have an issue, where I cannot load any saved games on a Steam version.
Everything saved to either cloud, or locally has save game file size of 1kb for all 3 types of saves - manual, quick and auto - meaning, I either finish game in one go without dying, or I cannot play it.
I have tried everything imaginable - switching between local and cloud saves (annoying process, I might add), rechecking game files, checking file permissions (shouldnt matter, if at least some kind of file was created), deleting witcher document folders and letting game create them again.
And only autosaves actually make that save Picture file, quicksaves and manual saves does not.
Computer is the same as I had before when it worked - Win 8.1, Phenom II 920, 8GB RAM, AMD 6870 1GB.
Problems appeared today when I installed Witcher again, deleted some old saves from cloud, from within the game, Those were the last ones I could ever see in the load menu.

I dont realy want to try GoG version, cause achievements...
Nothing I can do right now . But i`ll try to help with your issue after work tonight .

Have you made any changes to your system like moving your Documents folder ? Some things you might try is doing a system file scan . To do this open command prompt as administrator and type in the dialog box sfc /scannow and press enter . Then restart computer and retry the game to see if any changes occur with new saves .

Nope, didn't help.
Did clean reinstall of the game, still the same.
Will do the GoG version install, just to be fully sure.

Lo and behold, GoG version saves game correctly.
I seem to be missing the thumbnail for save, but meh, can live without that.

Last edited:
I have a steam Witcher2EE. There was a fix (used it in 2013) that simply required the deletion of some cashed files in a steam folder (took all of 20 secs) and you could once again load from the saves (or permanently delete files that the cloud would not auto "restore") but for the life of me, I can no longer find that "fix" anywhere on forums. I have found other complicated ways to fix the cloud option etc but this fix was far easier, although it did require a periodic deletion of those cashed files. If you know of the fix I refer to, would you be so kind as to post a link to it? I just pre ordered Witcher 3 and would like to replay W2 once more b4 I start W3. Thank you so much! I have win7 64bit and a GTX780, if that is needed.

Last edited:
I don't get why this is such a massive problem. Why was there not a system where it can easily make your game revert back to the old save system? Once you enable the cloud functionality you are basically screwed if you have old backup saves. So I have 4 DvD worth of saves that are practically useless now because of the steam cloud function getting in the way and not allowing me to use those saves. Even when I have it shut off it still won't allow me to use it.

Here is why. Basically that remotecache.vdf file will keep reappearing even when steam cloud is turned off. That file keeps any old or personal backed up save file that are not apart of that steam cloud list from appearing within the game. It's funny because the old save system allowed me to play any of my old saves from back in 2011 (even the chapter 3 stuff) as of today (May 17 2015). However once I turned on at cloud system by accident it's like having McAfee Virus protection it simply does not go away even when it's completely turned off.

I don't get why this is such a massive problem. Why was there not a system where it can easily make your game revert back to the old save system? Once you enable the cloud functionality you are basically screwed if you have old backup saves. So I have 4 DvD worth of saves that are practically useless now because of the steam cloud function getting in the way and not allowing me to use those saves. Even when I have it shut off it still won't allow me to use it.

Here is why. Basically that remotecache.vdf file will keep reappearing even when steam cloud is turned off. That file keeps any old or personal backed up save file that are not apart of that steam cloud list from appearing within the game. It's funny because the old save system allowed me to play any of my old saves from back in 2011 (even the chapter 3 stuff) as of today (May 17 2015). However once I turned on at cloud system by accident it's like having McAfee Virus protection it simply does not go away even when it's completely turned off.

Might have a look at this .
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2470784

Top Bottom