Some notes on Steam Cloud Saving

+

I did that before I came here to report the issue, and it did not work. Hence why I am complaining about it here as an issues that seems to be less simple then it should be. Also I want to bring this up:

"I. Bringing up the Cloud Sync Conflict dialog

The first part is probably the most difficult. In order to get rid of the files stored in Steam servers, we'll need the help of the Cloud Sync Conflict dialog. It appears when the Cloud files differ from the local files stored on your computer. There are several ways to get it, I'll give you two:

1) Exit Steam and make sure that Steam Cloud is enabled.
2) Alter the content of all files in Steam\userdata\SteamID\AppID\remote. The objective is that every file becomes different from the ones stored in the Cloud. You can't simply delete the files otherwise Steam will download them from the Cloud. You can corrupt them by deleting all their content. 0 bytes files will indeed do the trick. To do this (thanks Kevin92 for the tip):
- Hold Shift and right-click on your remote folder.
- Click on "Open command window here".
- Enter powershell.
- Enter clc C:\Steam\userdata\SteamID\AppID\remote\* (clc + absolute path of your remote folder + * to affect all the files).
- Done: all your files are now 0 bytes!
Warning: be sure of the path your enter to not delete accidentally system or user files! There are not any confirmation when you press Enter!
3) Delete remotecache.vdf in Steam\userdata\SteamID\AppID.
4) Start Steam and "Sync conflict" should appear in your game status.

A simpler way but not as efficient:
1) Start Steam.
2) Disable Steam Cloud.
3) Delete all files in Steam\userdata\SteamID\AppID.
4) Start the game to create fresh (and thus different) new files.
5) Exit the game and Steam.
6) Delete remotecache.vdf in Steam\userdata\SteamID\AppID.
7) Start Steam.
8) Enable Steam Cloud and "Sync conflict" should appear in your game status.
Note that this method may not affect all the files (and you need to modify all of them if you want to delete all of them later).

Once you have "Sync conflict", start your game and the Cloud Sync Conflict dialog should appear.”

This is the part where things become way overly complicated then they should be. Especially if someone has to go to these lengths in order get rid of something. However this issue responsibility falls upon both Steam cloud system (that can't be personally managed by the user) and whoever poorly developed the system that links up with Steam cloud in the first place.

That first option does not work. Not only that but can screw up someones computer if they type in the wrong address location. The second option which is a tamer method (in not screwing over your computer) also does not work. As of now there is no way to cause "Cloud Sync Conflict Issue" within the Witcher 2.

Apparently this is going to be massive issue now because many people are going to try to port over their saves to the Witcher 3. Which is not going to be that simple anymore. I am even seeing many threads about the same issue within the Steam forums.

So what I had to do personally is uninstall the game and use my steam CD key to get the GoG version of the Witcher 2. Thusly I could have the old save system back. Guess what? That old system is still loading up my saves from 2011 just fine. It's funny I had to this in the first pace. All because I have the Steam version of the game. While CD Project Red's official hosted community is a sub division to GoG. Must just be a coincidence.

On a side note I found out about the thread you posted about by finding this thread first:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2655006&page=1

EDIT: The only suggestion I have is have some way to simply turn off cloud support altogether (that reverts back to the old save system). Which probably won't happen, considering how old the game is now. Nevertheless I can't believe this was not a foreseeable issue when the Enhanced Edition first came crawling out. Knowing that the saves files could be transferred over to the Witcher 3 from the Witcher 2 (just like it's predecessor before that). Especially with all these people asking for help on this very same issue. It even looks like as the Steam cloud system devolved over time, just made this problem even worse. After reading so many threads about the same issue.

Also excuse me if I sound pretty ticked off right now. Since I went on for 8 hours trying to get this thing to work before finally giving up.

Last edited:
I know I am necroing an old thread.. but since I am new to the forums, I must post 10 times before I can start my own. With that said.....

I am trying to DELETE my witcher 3 saves. I have tried all of the ways above, any suggestions, tips, tricks, etc. for me?

Top Bottom