Some notes on Steam Cloud Saving

+
Some notes on Steam Cloud Saving

I just wanted to highlight a few points about cloud saving on the Steam version of The Witcher 2:

• When you select to enable cloud storage, you can choose to copy over your existing saves. Please note that we can't guarantee compatibility between older versions and the Enhanced Edition and that saves in the third act are not compatible due to the large number of changes and improvements it's had. Our recomendation is starting a new game.
  • Unfortunately it should be noted that because new files are created, the file modification times are lost, and so the order of the save files may be incorrect, so be wary of hitting continue straight away (New saves will have the correct time stamps so it shouldn't remain a problem for long).
  • Your original save files in "My Documents\" will remain safe and untouched if cloud saving is enabled.
  • The new save location will look something like: C:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\\20920\remote\. (If you're the only person who uses your steam install, then there should only be one or two directories inside "userdata\")
  • Insane saves are not stored on the cloud to prevent cheating/exploiting the one death rule.
  • Once enabled, you will always use the steam method of saving games, turning off cloud saving in the menu will simply stop storing saves on the cloud, and only have them stored locally.
  • If you wish to return to the old method of saving games ("My Documents\"), you will need to delete all save games stored on the cloud and in the steam directory, and then turn off steam cloud saving in the menu.
  • In the Steam library, if you right click->properties and go to the "updates" tab, you'll see how much space you have available for storing files on steam cloud. When you reach this limit, don't worry, your oldest saves will be automatically removed from the cloud (but not from your hard drive) to make space for new ones

If you have any problems with cloud saving, please reply to the post and I'll do my best to investigate what's going wrong for you

April 27
There was a minor update for The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition on Steam today, this fixes the problem with cloud saving failing to create new saves when the 100MB limit is reached.

If there is one thing I wish you'd guys would fix it's the save system.

But thanks for finally adding in cloud saving support.

Thanks for notes, they helped me alot.
Here is good manual how to delete files from cloud.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2470784

Ok, I have activated Steam Cloud and now I am so sorry. But, it's ok, I have a question. Is there any way for saving with the small preview image? Now everytime I save game I have the same ugly photo. I have seen on the "remote" directory that the game doesn't create the .bmp file. Is that correct?

In another hand, I'm not sure why but for a while, always I had "saved the game", the game didnt save... and I noticed that after 45 minutes playing. I'm not sure how to reproduce the error because after deleting all the saved games now it works fine (but without preview image). I'm not sure if anybody else had this problem.

I think I will do this for use classical saving method, I'm having so much problems with Steam Cloud and really I'm sorry about it :(

Just go to Documents\Witcher 2\Config open User.ini and replace CloudStorage=true by CloudStorage=false and your game will no longer use cloud save and he will return to the old method

Okiff said:
Just go to Documents\Witcher 2\Config open User.ini and replace CloudStorage=true by CloudStorage=false and your game will no longer use cloud save and he will return to the old method

everytime you start the game the false value becomes true, I have disabled cloud support removed the cloud folder in steam apps and changed the value to false but nothing helps.

The false is changed to true.
The steam folder is remade.
Deleting User.ini have no effect it gets recreated with the value true.

Please help more people with my problem emerging.

I just want my computer to use the Documments/Witcher 2/Gamesaves folder for the saves.

Game kept using cloud saves no matter what i did. Changing CloudStorage=true by CloudStorage=false didn't help. Deleting \20920\ folder didn't help. The only thing that worked was:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2470784

After this procedure you have to disable "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization..." under update tab in the witcher 2 properties, before launching the game.

Could anyone give a step by step of what to do instead of linking around to several other treads, Its very conflicting.

DeliCiousTZM said:
Could anyone give a step by step of what to do instead of linking around to several other treads, Its very conflicting.

This is what i did, ill just copy and paste relevant info for you and add some modifications to make it easier to follow:

1) Exit Steam and make sure that Steam Cloud (right-click on Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in steam library, choose "preferences" then click "Updates" tab, then check "Enable steam synchronization...") is enabled.

2) Navigate to Steam\userdata\your steam id\20920\remote on your PC, this is where your saves are kept. Copy all of them to \Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves. Then delete all of the files except for QuickSave.sav and quicksave_640x360.bmp (for example), then right click those files and choose "Open with..." then choose "Notepad" and "Ok". Click "ctrl+a" or just select all of the text inside those files and delete it, then save those files. Their size should be 0 bytes now.

3) Delete remotecache.vdf in Steam\userdata\your steam id\20920 but not those 0 bytes files.

4) Start Steam, start Witcher 2 Launcher and "Sync conflict" window should appear, do not close it.

5) Go back to Steam\userdata\your steam id\ and delete 20920 folder.

6) Go back to the Cloud Sync Conflict dialog and click on "Upload to the Steam Cloud".

7) Right-click on Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in steam library again, choose "preferences" then click "Updates" tab and uncheck "Enable steam synchronization..." it also should say "0 bytes stored".

8 ) Now navigate to Documents\Witcher 2\Config and open user.ini file, check the line "CloudStorage=" and if its set to "true", replace it with "false", so it looks like "CloudStorage=false".

9) Play the game. It should be using saves in \Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves

So far i can say that this solution Cers seems to be working. If anyone is reading this and still having problems good luck to you!

DanForever said:
[*]In the Steam library, if you right click->properties and go to the "updates" tab, you'll see how much space you have available for storing files on steam cloud. When you reach this limit, don't worry, your oldest saves will be automatically removed from the cloud (but not from your hard drive) to make space for new ones

This sadly hasn't been true for me. Once I hit the limit, it just stops making save files, whether it be an auto-save, a quick save, or a regular save.

Following the methods linked by others for removing files from the steam cloud has been a resounding success though. Thanks all!

Omegamuerte said:
This sadly hasn't been true for me. Once I hit the limit, it just stops making save files, whether it be an auto-save, a quick save, or a regular save.

This. The game does not let me save after I have 100MB of save files created on my hard drive, no auto or regular save. if I hadn't noticed this, I could have potentially lost hours of gameplay. This is a pretty serious bug, as it not only prevents the game from saving at all but it doesn't do as you advertise and replace saves on the cloud with newer saves. Even after turning off steam cloud saving it still limits my save folder to 100MB and still saves to the cloud folder. I'm going to have to follow some of these workaround steps to clear my cloud storage and revert to the old system, hopefully it will let me save more than 100Mb of saves as they stack up fast!

And while I'm at it, why can I not choose to overwrite a save on the PC, but I can on the Xbox? Having the overwrite system back in place might help save folders from becoming bloated, gig sized monstrosities.

WHen I hit the limit I could no longer save either. I think I'm just going to delete the steam version and redownload the gog edition until they have this sorted out.

I've also been having this issue. After 100MBs saves just stop... I somewhat followed what Cers posted, and it worked.

This is what happened:

(Make sure to move your files from the 'Remote' folder in the 20920 folder, and put them in Documents/The Witcher 2/gamesaves.)

1) My 20920 folder was already deleted.
2) I went to 'Properties' for the Witcher 2 in Steam, and went to the 'Updates' tab, and I enabled Cloud Storage for The Witcher 2, and closed the dialog.
3) I quit Steam. I launched the game, and in-game I saw that Cloud Storage was set to false. I checked my user file, and it had 'CloudStorage=false'. I went back to the 'Updates' tab (as in Step 2), and I disabled Cloud Storage for The Witcher 2 and closed the dialog.

Everything is working fine now.

@Cers Thanks for your instructions.. I had problem to fix this bug about 2 hours.. this your solution first work fine.. thanks a lot

The fix Cers suggested has made it so that I no longer get images when I save. Is there any way to fix that short of reinstalling or something?

Kayjin1223 said:
The fix Cers suggested has made it so that I no longer get images when I save. Is there any way to fix that short of reinstalling or something?
Try moving all your saves out but the latest one and see if it resumes making them?

Top Bottom