Some questions regarding witchers

+
Some questions regarding witchers

1. In the TV series, it was mentioned that witchers once had the support of rulers. Is this true?2. Where do the witchers get their fancy stuff, particularly the swords and amulet? Those things must cost a fortune. I can imagine a costum master craftsman doing the swords, but the amulet?3. In the game, Triss was a resident at Kear Morhem with other witchers. Is this a very unusual event and she is tolerated for her abilities, or does (or rather, did) Ker Morhem allow witchers to take a friend there if needed? How often were strangers allowed to visit Kear Morhem?4. What are the origins of witchers? Did they always kill for money, or was it once different?5. Is it true that Geralt behaves differently because of his experimental mutations (that ended up making him an albeno), or is it just implied? 6. What are witcher's eyes described in the books? Are they normal when witchers don't use potions, or are they always weird?7. In the character sheets, it is mentioned that Vesimir made sure the his students are more adept swordsman then magicians. Does this mean that witchers can be also powerful magicians?8. Was there ever a reference or mention that there was a witcher that was also a Source?9. How does the magic system work in the books? Is it even ever explained?10. What is elven magic like?11. Do witchers actually make potions themselves like in the game, either with or without the help of alchemists and their equipment, or do they have suppliers?12. How powerful is the witcher's amulet? It can detect monsters and magic, but does it do anything else?

1. What support you talking about?2. In books there is no information about it. Only wizard are able to make amulets (when Geralt had lost his amulet, the sorceress Yennefer made it for him). I suppose that some time ago in Kaer Morhen was some kind of witcher wizard who was enchanting amulets3. It is unusual situation but it wasn't Triss first visit in Kaer Morhen. Witchers called her when they had serious problem with Cirilla's nightmares (it is a person similar to Alvin, because she was a legate of Lara Dorren's gen).4. Witchers was created for helping people by killing monster after the conjuction of spheres. Witchers are probably the faction of druids and priests.5. What do you mean that he behave differently?6. Their eyes are always weird like in snakes but potions give them ability to changing dimension to better seing in darkness.7. In book was mentioned that Vesemir was teaching only fence. Another teachers (alchemists and magicians) was killed some time ago, and making full mutation in Kaer Morhen is impossible now.8. No9. Yes, it was practically explained. Typical wizards wasn't so powerful. Casting spells consisting of incantations and gestures, and wizards had to draw power from magic sources. To being really powerful wizards they had to have very interdisciplinary knowledge: alchemy, biology, medicine, genetics and of course all magics branches10. Elven used similar magic like humans. But in books are special group of elves wich escaped to another world. They are called Cognizant. They using very powerful magic and they are able to travel throught time and space (Wild Gon is a Cognizant's cavalry force :))11. In books this amulet was able to detecting danger not only monsters

Teer1

Forum veteran
1. TV series don't exist for true fan . And I don't know what you mean when you write "that witchers once had the support of rulers". What kind of support?2. Hmmm... About medalion - I don't remember if this was explained in books... About other stuff - some of them he buy (example a leather jacket), some get as gift. 3. I don't play game yet, so I don't know is she was resident in game, but in books Triss was invated to Kear Morhem for several reasons. She was there earlier too, when she was in close relationship with Geralt.4. They was created after "conjuction of worlds (or spheres)" probably by some magicans or wizards. They don't know how it was done excatly. About kill for money - this is theirs job. They must somehow earn money.5. Yes6. Cats eyes, vertical pupils... this was mutation - so effect was solid.7. Vesimir was a sword master, and a sword fight teacher. So he teach his student what he can do the best. About powerful magicans - I don't think so...8. No9. The wizards, the sorceress take the energy to cast spells from environment - from elements - fire, water, wind, from own body... They use special formulas and gesticulation to cast spell, so they must learn it first. Some mistakes in gesticulation or spelling the formula can drastically change effect of spell. Besides of sorcerry there is also in books a ability of prophety, ability to read somebodys thoughts and to affect for somebody mind. Some priest have a power to spell cast from theirs gods.10. simillar to human11. The composition of witcher's potions is a secret, no one except witchers know how do they.12. If I remeber properly it can also lowered the strenght of spell casted on witcher

About 1: I mean that the rulers regularly employed them and gave them money so they would kill monsters. I don't think that Kear Morhem, for example, was constructed by priests.About 2: Yes, but these items are special to Witchers. How come we don't see a Witcher's steel sword on a knight, for example? These items are unique to witchers.About 3: So Triss is a special case. Is there any mention of other people visiting Kear Morhem? Whether they are invited or not? For example, is there mention of guests being brought by witchers? A more specific case, if Dandelion was in deep enough trouble, could Geralt bring him to Kear Morhem for safety?About 4: What I meant about the money: did they always take from the peasants and regular people, or were they like knights once? As in, people paid taxes to them and witchers killed any monsters that treated the peasants on sight, as opposed to the contract-based working model they have by the time Geralt is about. About 5: It is mentioned several times that Geralt is somehow unique among witchers, because he has human emotions. Yet witchers in the game didn't seem unemotional, especially Beranger. They were cold and more calm, yes, but not without any emotions.About 6: So witchers eyes are always weird, and not just when they consumed a potion?About 12: I mean do they make the potions themselves on the field, or do they need alchemical equipment or even assistance?

Teer1

Forum veteran
1. I don't think that rulers employed them "regularly" - they employ them for "hard tasks". You should know that ruler have soldiers, so he hire witcher only if he is a cheapest solution of problem (other solutions are soldiers and wizzards). Basicly witcher is defender of peasents and merchants, when soldiers are busy on wars...2. Steal sword don't need to be "special". Witcher buy his weapon in "normal" shops, but he has their's requirement about it. He don't want cheap, poor stuff for "poor fackink infantry", he want good blade. And of course good blade is expensive, sometimes very expensive...4. Witcher always take moneys :) - they must earn for bread and beer :) You should remember that they risk their life. People pay taxes to rulers for protection, but if their ruler don't cary about their safety, they hire witchers.5. Geralt is an exception to the rule, but there are some signs that others witchers have some feelings too 6. yes7. hmmm... in books there wasn't shown how, and when, whitchers do theirs potions...

ausir

Forum veteran
1. In the TV series, it was mentioned that witchers once had the support of rulers. Is this true?Well, sometimes monarchs need to employ a witcher, just like Foltest did to cure Adda.2. Where do the witchers get their fancy stuff, particularly the swords and amulet? Those things must cost a fortune. I can imagine a costum master craftsman doing the swords, but the amulet?Possibly they buy them for money they get for their assignments? They might also get them passed on from deceased witchers.3. In the game, Triss was a resident at Kear Morhem with other witchers. Is this a very unusual event and she is tolerated for her abilities, or does (or rather, did) Ker Morhem allow witchers to take a friend there if needed? How often were strangers allowed to visit Kear Morhem?Triss is an old friend of Geralt's and was one of the few non-witchers to visit the keep. Normally, strangers are not allowed there.4. What are the origins of witchers? Did they always kill for money, or was it once different?The first witchers were most likely created by some wizards, but the exact origins are unknown. They always took money for their work - or other kinds of payment (e.g. children to make witcher out of).5. Is it true that Geralt behaves differently because of his experimental mutations (that ended up making him an albeno), or is it just implied?There might be some truth to that, yes. Anyway, witchers having no emotions is mostly a legend they cultivate themselves, although they are better at controlling them than most humans. Still, Geralt does seem more emotional than the rest.7. In the character sheets, it is mentioned that Vesimir made sure the his students are more adept swordsman then magicians. Does this mean that witchers can be also powerful magicians?Vesemir was a fencing teacher before the massacre of the witchers, and he's not a very skilled magician nor alchemist. Anyway, witchers were never as skilled in magic as sorcerers.8. Was there ever a reference or mention that there was a witcher that was also a Source?Princess Ciri of Cintra was a Source and she underwent partial witcher training. Other than that, no.9. How does the magic system work in the books? Is it even ever explained?Sorcerers draw their power from magic sources of four elements (although it's likely that the names of the four kinds of magic sources are just symbollic). Priests don't actually get their powers from their gods, as there are no direct manifestations of gods in the books. Some of them, aside from being priests, are simply skilled sorcerers and claim that their powers come from the gods, but their magic is exactly the same as that of sorcerers. Elven magic is pretty similar.

Well, sometimes monarchs need to employ a witcher, just like Foltest did to cure Adda.
Obvious, but I mean closer support then an occasional contract. For example, did it happen that a ruler employed a witcher for a whole month, or employed one to kill any monster he on his territory for a large amount of money? Or employed one similar to how knights are employed? While witchers obviously work for the common folk, are there examples of witchers working more regularly then that?
. Witcher always take moneys Smiley - they must earn for bread and beer Smiley You should remember that they risk their life. People pay taxes to rulers for protection, but if their ruler don't cary about their safety, they hire witchers.
People in medieval times paid taxes for protection, that's how the feudal system supposedly worked. For nobles protection means from bandits and the like. However, for a noble that cares about the peasents and wants a more efficient solution to the monster problem, a witcher comes up.What I mean my this point, is whether a witcher ever participated in the feudal system, or were they always outsiders to it? Was there a mention of a closer relationship from rulers? Did the witcher guild/brotherhood ever had a alliances or pacts with rulers? And I'm not talking about a monster contract.
2. Steal sword don't need to be "special". Witcher buy his weapon in "normal" shops, but he has their's requirement about it. He don't want cheap, poor stuff for "poor fackink infantry", he want good blade. And of course good blade is expensive, sometimes very expensive...
True, but these swords are unique. It's obvious that they buy these swords. But from who? The materials and the workmanship (if the description is anything to go by) is exceptional. Was there any mention of who were the craftsmen they brought these swords, or was it just never mentioned? According to the Wiki in Ausir's signature, Geralt got swords from Zoltan. How did this exactly work?

As I remember all the swords are made in Mahakam.Spoiler from the sagaDuring the Witcher Saga Geralt lost his witcher sword later Zoltan gave him his sihil.Now the sihil is kept in Rivia.In a tavern called Under The Witchers Sword or something like that.

Zixinus said:
Well, sometimes monarchs need to employ a witcher, just like Foltest did to cure Adda.
Obvious, but I mean closer support then an occasional contract. For example, did it happen that a ruler employed a witcher for a whole month, or employed one to kill any monster he on his territory for a large amount of money?
. Witcher always take moneys Smiley - they must earn for bread and beer Smiley You should remember that they risk their life. People pay taxes to rulers for protection, but if their ruler don't cary about their safety, they hire witchers.
People in medieval times paid taxes for protection, that's how the feudal system supposedly worked. For nobles protection means from bandits and the like. However, for a noble that cares about the peasents and wants a more efficient solution to the monster problem, a witcher comes up.
2. Steal sword don't need to be "special". Witcher buy his weapon in "normal" shops, but he has their's requirement about it. He don't want cheap, poor stuff for "poor fackink infantry", he want good blade. And of course good blade is expensive, sometimes very expensive...
True, but these swords are unique. It's obvious that they buy these swords. But from who?
In books there isn't so much informations about witchers cooperation with the rulers. Quen Calanthe and King Foltest are an exception. Witchers tried to be far away from politics... The protection from the rulers didn't practically exist so witchers were needed :) and got contracts from marchants, plesants, townsmans, rarely from local lords.Witchers receive swords in Kaer Morhen (no information about the source) after they arrive for a first time. Zoltan gave sword to Geralt, because he has lost it

Witchers receive swords in Kaer Morhen (no information about the source) after they arrive for a first time.
What do you mean "arrive for the first time"? As in, they go out, kill some monsters with inferior swords, and if they are able to come back alive, they receive their swords?

Zixinus said:
Witchers receive swords in Kaer Morhen (no information about the source) after they arrive for a first time.
What do you mean "arrive for the first time"? As in, they go out, kill some monsters with inferior swords, and if they are able to come back alive, they receive their swords?
No, they receive sword after the full training when they leaving Kaer Morhen for a first time. (Forgive me mistakes :-\)

Ohhhh more for my lore collection :)Dumb Question, has there been a Witcher Pen & Paper game in Poland?

ausir

Forum veteran
Rhian said:
Ohhhh more for my lore collection :)Dumb Question, has there been a Witcher Pen & Paper game in Poland?
Yes: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Wied%C5%BAmin:_Gra_Wyobra%C5%BAni

No, they receive sword after the full training when they leaving Kaer Morhen for a first time. (Forgive me mistakes Undecided)
Ah, I see. Your mistake is no big deal. :)What does the witcher training involve? Swordplay obviously, but what else?

ausir

Forum veteran
Zixinus said:
No, they receive sword after the full training when they leaving Kaer Morhen for a first time. (Forgive me mistakes Undecided)
Ah, I see. Your mistake is no big deal. :)What does the witcher training involve? Swordplay obviously, but what else?
Signs (basic magic), (basic) alchemy and monster lore.

Zixinus said:
What does the witcher training involve? Swordplay obviously, but what else?
Well, at the begining of training, kids jogged around Kaer Morhen a lot and during this they were training breath, pulse and all the capabilities of their bodies. In this period of training they ate special stymulants and drunk potions to start changing metabolism, body boulding and so on... This efficiency's training was very hard, and a lot of them died by slipping on rocks and falling to gulfs etc. In the meantime they had a lot of training with sword on a special machines like: comb, pendulum, windmill etc.When they grew up a little, they had been subjected to final mutation tests. Then they trained much harder.... :)

przodownikpracy said:
przodownikpracy said:
What does the Witcher training involve? Swordplay obviously, but what else?
Well, at the beginning of training, kids jogged around Kaer Morhen a lot and during this they were training breath, pulse and all the capabilities of their bodies. In this period of training they ate special stimulants and drunk potions to start changing metabolism, body building and so on... This efficiency's training was very hard, and a lot of them died by slipping on rocks and falling to gulfs etc. In the meantime they had a lot of training with sword on a special machines like: comb, pendulum, windmill etc.When they grew up a little, they had been subjected to final mutation tests. Then they trained much harder.... :)
::) ;) 8) The CV of the Witcher, kill monsters, collect herbs, make potions, practice the arts, play poker dice, drink, fist fight and screw around. Plus bring mayhem & chaos by killing the wrong people or in some cases help the weak etc Case closed.

Ausir said:
Ausir said:
Yes: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Wied%C5%BAmin:_Gra_Wyobra%C5%BAni
Thank you :) and I see some of the illustration base on the movie/series.

ausir

Forum veteran
Yes, but the RPG itself is more faithful to the books. I wonder if any US or UK publisher would like to publish this or their own Witcher RPG nowadays...

Ausir said:
Yes, but the RPG itself is more faithful to the books. I wonder if any US or UK publisher would like to publish this or their own Witcher RPG nowadays...
If they do, I will buy them for sure :) my household needs some fresh P&P culture....

Top Bottom