Some thoughts on my visit to Warsaw and my first visit to CD PROJEKT RED studios

+
Some thoughts on my visit to Warsaw and my first visit to CD PROJEKT RED studios

I have been to Warsaw once before. I was sent here in 2007 as part of a Mass Effect press event. I was here for 3 days in June (I think) and didn't really have much time to see the city or meet the people. Press events are very fast, all business and leave little time to actually get out of the hotel and experience the place you are visiting.

This trip. I'll have been in Warsaw for 10 days. It may not have had the summer weather of my previous visit, but I did get out to see the city (Old Town, the Zoo, Arkada shopping mall and more) and I have a better feel for Warsaw now. It is a great place, one I recommend you visit if you have the opportunity. I had some people on Twitter tell me Warsaw is an ugly city, but I disagree. The mix of historic buildings (recreated after the devastation of WW2), Communist architecture and new, modern development leaves you much to experience. The people I dealt with were all very kind to me. Many people do have some understanding of English, but even those who didn't speak English were forgiving of my inability to speak Polish. Food here is delicious and cheap. It is easy to get around due to the good public transport system or buses and trams. So, if you have the opportunity, come to Warsaw. It's worth the trip.

I had never been to CD PROJEKT RED's studio before. When I was in Warsaw in 2007, I met some developers who told me of their new video game they just made about The Witcher, a national Polish hero. They game me a copy and I've been a fan ever since, but I never visited the studio (most people who don't work for gaming companies rarely visit studios). I can't tell you a lot about the studio, due to secrets and reasons, but I can say a few things:
The studio keeps growing. They now have multiple floors in 3 different buildings in the complex here.
The lobby is filled with trophies, awards and cool CDPR memorabilia.
Just off the lobby, they have their own cafeteria with big screen TV and pool table for relaxation. The food served is vegetarian (as the company founder was vegetarian), but what I ate there was all delicious.
The washrooms are bright red. Red floors, walls, ceilings, and counters.
The rooms in the studio are wide, bright and roomy. No individual cubicles, few private offices. Lots of coworkers working closely with each other, talking and communicating easily.
People here are huge nerds. Desks are decorated with toys, knickknacks and general nerd stuff. To me, that means they're good people.
Coffee machines are abundant.
Walls are decorated with Witcher art, graphics, and memorabilia. I am trying to figure out if anyone would notice if I take the Mike Mignola Dark Horse Witcher comic original art when I leave.
Overall, it's a great studio.

So a thank you to my new, fellow teammates at CD PROJEKT RED and the people of Warsaw for making me feel welcome and at home during my visit. I can't wait to return again soon.

Thanks for that... sounds great !

I had some people on Twitter tell me Warsaw is an ugly city, but I disagree.

No offence to the twitterers here, who are obviously a cut above, but I consider that place the gutter - you all know what I mean - and whoever said that to you about Warsaw an example of the thoughtless ignorance you get exposed to. Probably didn't have personal experience just had to tweet something, y'know. I've never been to Poland personally, but I know people who have, and seen pics, and all I saw / heard was good. Bah, some people !

The food served is vegetarian (as the company founder was vegetarian), but what I ate there was all delicious.

Thats right, I heard that before, very wise man, going to live forever, healthy & virile :)

Warsaw truly sounds like an amazing place. Wish I could one day visit the studio, you are one lucky bastard! :)

I had some people on Twitter tell me Warsaw is an ugly city, but I disagree. The mix of historic buildings (recreated after the devastation of WW2), Communist architecture and new, modern development leaves you much to experience.

This. That's exactly how I describe Warsaw to foreigners who have never visited Warsaw before.

It might definitely look ugly on its surface, especially when you're on a business trip, driving from the airport to the hotel and experiencing Warsaw from a taxi window. But once you start to dig deeper, walk through its streets with all the different architecture surrounding you - old, restored town houses; communist, grey edifices and modern skyscrapers - you start to get it. And then you wander off the beaten path and enter another world of all the hidden alleyways and plazas, clubs and restaurants and feel the real rhythm of the city.

I think you also cannot understand the city without touching topics like genocide, destruction and tragedy. Everywhere you turn you find places of memory - from those big ones like the Warsaw Uprising Museum to small ones like those candles that you find on different street corners where men, women and children faced firing squads. And then you walk over the former Warsaw Ghetto borders and visit the recently opened Polish Jews Museum to dig even deeper into the troubling history of this place, which once was sentenced to be "wiped out of the face of the Earth so there's not a stone upon a stone left".

So, I hope next time you're here you get even more time to look around and experience Warsaw. In the summer I recommend all the different clubs located on Vistula beaches, overlooking Old Town - which is a beautiful sight while you dance your night away. Overall - Warsaw is definitely tough love, but one that will reward you with unique experiences once you decide to overlook the downsides.

So much for my romantic and biased postcard from Warsaw :)

I think you also cannot understand the city without touching topics like genocide, destruction and tragedy. Everywhere you turn you find places of memory - from those big ones like the Warsaw Uprising Museum to small ones like those candles that you find on different street corners where men, women and children faced firing squads. And then you walk over the former Warsaw Ghetto borders and visit the recently opened Polish Jews Museum to dig even deeper into the troubling history of this place, which once was sentenced to be "wiped out of the face of the Earth so there's not a stone upon a stone left".

See... I know this. I've never visited, I haven't learnt Polish history specifically, yet I know this already, and any journey I took there would include appropriate reflections. It doesn't matter its not my Country, that I have no links to its people, it doesn't even matter where it is, I'd behave similarly anywhere. How can anyone live long enough to be able to tweet without learning something ? Without appreciating history, depth, experience, even sorrow. Does everything have to be disneyland? Would we even want it to be?

If I say to my friends I'm visiting somewhere advice & good tips is what I get, or nothing but well wishes, certainly not negativity. So I actually pity the stunted, broken, miserable sods who had nothing better in their lives to do than tout their ignorance to the world, wasters. Someone show them the door.

Coincidentally someone on the radio just said Veggie men are 50% less likely to develop Prostate cancer, that stat cannot be ignored.

The other day they confirmed Roman Gladiators were Vegetarian too. So its the past and the future ;)

Thanks Chris :) It's nice reading about CDPR like this.

I was in Poland at 2006, or 2007, but since it was a trip about the Holocaust I unfortunately didn't get to experience the more casual daily life in the country.

We were in Zakopane for half a day, though, and it was just... ridiculously picturesque. Seriously, no place has a right to be that charming.

That's not the fact he is a vegetarian.

It's the fact he is vegetarian in Poland. Poland can be vegetarians' hell.

My wife is polish and all I eat, when I visit her family in Warsaw, is kotlet, pajtet and herbatka in the morning, kotlet, pajtet and herbatka at noon, kotlet, pajtet and herbatka at five (yeah they eat early). I spent a week without vegetables (potatoe and cabbages only). Oh, and her 85 years old grandmother opened a bottle and a half of vodka each evening, and I've never been so happily drunk than with that old lady. Being french I'm used to live with tomatoes, apples, tap water and sometimes cheap wine; that was a cultural shock.

But hell, even for their lack of variety in meals, their bigos is better than my french "choucroute".

Last edited:
Vegetarians are independent... they don't rely on anyone, they learn to cook, they learn about nutrition. They're inventive, energetic, and have a nose for mushroooooooms ;)

I was born in the United States, yet I am Polish and I live in Warsaw right now (that's right an American migrating to Poland, not something you hear of often). I am studying at Warsaw Polytechnic Institute (Politechnika Warszawska 8)) and the atmosphere of the city is humbling. Every part of the city emanates different vibes as a result of the different epochs the city went through, from the beautiful renovated churches in the Old Town to the pre-war era buildings in Praga on the east side of the Vistula river.

Polish cuisine is very hearty and meat dominant so the fact the Marcin instilled a vegetarian regime is astonishing hehe!
I can't believe I haven't visited CDPR yet, will they let a petty student like me in :p?

Well, I usually only eat meat on occasion, but I wouldn't want to limit myself to just eating vegatarian. I believe in variety in my nutrition. Sometimes eat meet, sometimes none, sometimes sweet, sometimes unhealthy, sometimes something else. As long as there is plenty of variety, it is a good diet for me. I would not want to remove anything from my diet.
That said, I agree, that it can be difficult in some countries, Poland probably included, to get a meat free dish. Thus you have a problem in variety. But to go into the opposite direction and never offer any meat would be too much for me.

Only been to Kołobrzeg yet, but hopefully I can manage to visit more places at some point. Should really have happened a long time ago. I have a few Polish friends, whom I could travel with. Great to hear, you had a good trip.

Top Bottom